Re:Goblins

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I'm a huge fan of the hobgoblins too - and think the rarity of appearances kept the fear factor high. It firstly served to show the danger of Level 3 in S3, guarded by such a creature, which was so large on appearance that it blocked the view to the room exit. The appearance on the concluding episode of S5 was fantastic; remember being haunted at that; for with such a neutral character as the gatekeeper, one would never be quite so sure on their safety and protection from such a fiend ~ but loved the lightning attack. I think it also demonstrated the power of Hordriss' control when you see the dungeoneer sat right beside the hobgoblin in the class to earn the great causeway code.

Nothing like a bit of genuine fear is such a program. ;)
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Was that one Tiny or a different Hobgoblin?
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Tiny doesn't appear till Series 5 onwards, before Series 5 it's adifferent HobGoblin.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Well, that's never clearly stated, LF, but yes I suspect it is a different Hobgoblin in S3.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I meant was it Tiny that was in the Magic exam?
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Possible but I doubt it...

All the goblins look the same so there's a good chance that the 'magic exam' Hob-G is anonymous. Also TINY would have been busy busting up Skarkills legs, no time to take on Hordriss (or indeed, any kind of cognitive process! Would he/it have the brainpower for such a thing?).

One thing that is interesting is that the Hob-Goblin appears to be quite neat and tidy. After the team have finished spying, everyone has left the room and the Hob-Goblin has taken his stool with him!
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Probably ate the stool.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

i think it was a different hob goblin in series 3 as Lord Fear probably purchased that hob goblin ( i wonder where he getsall the money for all these nastinesses) Probbalythe ransome fee treguard has to payto get the poor bugers out of death so maybe thats how he managesall thses nastinesses!!!
knightmaredave
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Were goblins better than cavernwights?
King_Gazz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by King_Gazz »

Yeah Hobgoblins were cool but used to give me knightmares at bedtime. Shame they were underused like certain characters like Gibbet and Mcgrew
Blocker: PASSWORD? Advisor: Chris say red, blue, green & Grey. Chris: red, green, blue & grey. Advisor No chris red, blue. Blocker: GULP
superdungeoneer

Post by superdungeoneer »

Lets face it. goblins were effectively rubbish.
Dont get me wrong when you could see them in the background gaining on a dungeoneer it made it tense and that goblin horn noise was a very distinct/freaky part of my childhood.But in the whole six seasons that goblins were a part of KM, I only ever remember them killing one team- ( Team 10,S3 -when they surrounded the dungeoneer in a L2 coridoor). The Miremen killed one team in their one and only season.

The goblins always seemed to slow down when they used to get right near a dungeoneer. I think that the production staff should have been more harsh- if teams were taking too long to complete a chamber they should have got the goblins to kill them off more often. Any responses . TIM CHILD?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I disagree that they were rubbish, as I disagree with most assessments of villains being rubbish simply because of low kill-counts. Any puzzle or situation depends on what the dungeoneer does, and if they do the right thing they will survive. That's the way the game works.

Cavernwights never killed anyone at all, neither did the automatum, nor the skull-hauntings, nor the Gargoyle, nor Gumboil, nor Raptor, nor Lissard... in fact even Lord Fear didn't appear to kill any dungeoneers directly. Were they all rubbish too?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Well, they didn't accept presents, anyway.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Raven »

'According to the interview, the Goblins were played by members of a local dance school'

Can't resist, must say bad joke...

Me: Maybe the goblins would be nice and perform 'Swan Lake' for the dungeoneers...

Treguard: Ooh... Nasty!
The Raven's Labyrinth - Where danger lurks around every corner...
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

What about Cavernwights, weren't they dancers as well?

Also who played the assassins?

Assassins were good as even though they were human they were quite sinister/

I always hoped once would kill a dungeonere.