Dungeoneers falling to their death

Posts by cast, crew and contestants
bill
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Dungeoneers falling to their death

Post by bill »

Apologies if this has been covered before, but how did the programme makers get dungeoneers to look like they were falling when they stepped off a ledge etc. to their death? Obviously, they weren't falling but do you think somebody standing slightly out of shot would tell them if they had died and to start flailing their aims about to make it look more convincing???
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Dungeoneers falling to their death

Post by Drassil »

My friend was an advisor on Team 3 of Series 7. When their dungeoneer died on Play Your Cards Right, a member of the production crew shouted 'Jump!' at him, and he had to jump off the stage he was standing on.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

of course the really fell off and died.. it was a real dungeon you know ;)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Fear
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fear »

bill wrote: Apologies if this has been covered before, but how did the programme makers get dungeoneers to look like they were falling when they stepped off a ledge etc. to their death? Obviously, they weren't falling but do you think somebody standing slightly out of shot would tell them if they had died and to start flailing their aims about to make it look more convincing???
makes you think i always thought they may have been stood on say a floor which is rotable & a small drop onto some netting or something.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Well, in the fatal falls in Series 3, most notably Teams 5 and 6, it looks like they simply took a freeze-frame of the Dungeoneer as he stepped off, and 'dropped' that. (there's prolly a better technical description, but hell if I know what it is) So there wasn't an actual fall at all.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Most falls from earlier seasons were simply snap shots of a static dungeoneer, as time passed, technology did, so we had proper dungeoneers.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Check the 'Slowhand' clip and the KM.com page that goes with it. That may help explain what went on.

In fairness, I used to think that they ACTUALLY dropped dungeoneers through the floor as well. Perhaps using a raised blue-screen stage with trapdoors or similar. Sadly, it isn't the case. ;)
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
patrick_bateman
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

death question

Post by patrick_bateman »

hiya folks, big knightmare fan and thought id join, i have one question.

when a dungeoneer dies do they re-do the scene? im asking as obviously the dungeoneer is in a type of blue or green screen floor space with no pits or holes etc etc but when they fall down a chasm they do a thing with arms and body to replicate the motion of falling.

did a floor manager or producer give them a cue when to do the fall movement etc, its the only logical thing i can think of.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:death question

Post by HStorm »

Welcome aboard.

In the first few seasons they clearly didn't do anything very much at all with falls. The image of the dungeoneer would just be frozen on the spot and it would then 'fall' off the bottom of the screen, which all looked very static and unconvincing.

In later seasons they seemed to add in a flailing arm or two, which I suspect was done in a re-take, but I can't say for sure.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn »

I dimly recall seeing a clip or a photo of what looked like the someone in the production crew showing a dungeoneer what to do for what looked like a fall (the dungeoneer was standing on a blue box). It mades me wonder if "Sidestep to the left" was possibly not quite as bad as it looked.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

When our team falls through the trap door, our dungeoneer is quite clearly seen "falling" in to the next room.

This was done by having our dungeoneer jump from a small (one or two foot high) block of blue wood which was placed on the floor of the blue room.
It was rehearsed for a full half hour before the room was used. However, that may simply have been because they had to do the room in one take :)

My suspicion is that it was added afterwards, if there was time, if the team hadn't stormed off in a sulk and if it was appropriate for the player death.

The ongoing team usually had so much prep (briefings, makeup and so on) there should have been enough time to film any such 'extras'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

With a name like patrick_bateman, I suppose you would be interested in death. ;) Here are some quotations from Knightmare contestants on the subject:
Scott_series_3 wrote: when i died they just said stop ur dead, unsurprisingly i didnt suddenly turn 2D, fold up and flutter down the hole like a piece of paper as the death scene would have u belive :'(
Andrea, Series 5 wrote: We were just figuring out where to go next from the sword, and the screen went blank. We didn't actually know what had happened. They put on the hexagon falling with Jenna afterwards.
Jim wrote: Quote from Andrea on another forum:
(Remember, I thought Sword was a defensive symbol...) What they actually did at that point was cut the screen black (as soon as we went wrong) then started clapping. Later they filmed my sister in the blue room - she had to drop to the ground and fling her arms up in the air. Then they spliced the two bits together so she falls and spins...
deaddungeoneer, a.k.a. Jenna wrote: For my death, I stood in the blue room, someone said one, two, three, and I just had to put both arms in the air and lean to one side! Very exciting!
pixie, a.k.a. Sumayya, Series 6 wrote:I could hear everything through my ear piece, so I heard the Dreadnort/Dreadnaught's (pre-recorded)voice. When it was over they cut the sound to my microphone so anything I said couldn't be transmitted, well I had just died of course. I remember just before it happened one of my advisors shouted, 'Run Sumayya! Run!' Lol! I wish it'd been that simple!
Helvellyn wrote: I dimly recall seeing a clip or a photo of what looked like the someone in the production crew showing a dungeoneer what to do for what looked like a fall (the dungeoneer was standing on a blue box).
Is this what you were recalling?
Helvellyn wrote:It mades me wonder if "Sidestep to the left" was possibly not quite as bad as it looked.
I rate that as a possibility too...
Drassil wrote:We see Simon in the Block & Tackle when the floor falls away, then his advisors and the infamous command, then it cuts back to Simon for the sidestep: Click here to play Spot The Difference...
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
patrick_bateman
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

thanks for all the info, another thing, where can i buy dvds for knightmare?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
patrick_bateman
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

that sucks, i thought someone would have chucked them all on a dvd, i wanna show my son it. :-[