Mrs Grimwold and her hubby

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Mrs Grimwold and her hubby

Post by Dunshelm »

Why did Mrs Grimwold stay with her husband?
As far as I can tell she's an ambiguos character that has helped many dungeoneers make it to level 2, but her husband would be totally what we'd call 'the opposition'.
LOL. Im sorry but the character of Mrs Grimwold fascinates me
- A distinctly magical fashion and therefore somewhat unreliable
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Mrs Grimwold and her hubby

Post by MoanaLiza »

Well, I've heard people say that opposites do attract. Mrs. G does not help dungeoneers half the time. She keeps trying to set Festus on them, especially if the dungeoneer hasn't got anything that will benefit her or her beloved pooch (or whatever he is). She even tried to sell a dungeoneer a map. Anyway I see you are new here, so welcome to this ever growing sometimes crazy community of KM fans. May your times here be fun and happy ones :)
Last edited by MoanaLiza on 09 Nov 2003, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

your wrong.  
she had to keep him away from killing the team off on a number of times.  (season 3 well way to level 2)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Yep, there was the time we saw them together when she had to keep him away from the dungeoneer, who Grimwold wanted to hit with his club: "Grimwold, what have I told you about 'itting the visitors!!".

I (obviously) think Mrs. G. is great. She is interesting, and you never quite know what her intentions or motives are. She can be really helpful but still rather threatening at the same time. I love some of her inflections and sudden changes of mood. The scenes are also really well written, too- I can't help but laugh at the "Knit one, pearl one, drop one, grab one, 'UUURL ONE! GEDDOUDOFIT!" piece. The map scene is fabulous too- "her" reactions when the team want to look at the map and ask her what she'll do with the horn are a lot of fun. It's also quite amusing, in retrospect, that instead of listening carefully and engaging, several of the teams spend most of the Mrs. G. scenes trying to work out if that ragged cackling old thing is supposed to be male or female!

I'm not really sure why she stays with her husband. She seems to be able to control him a bit; I suppose he's good protection when nasty things come up from Level 2 through the wellway! They really are Knightmare's very own soap-operaish dysfunctional family, with a strangely male moody "wife", husband who can't speak and spends all his time chasing things with his club, and a quasi-canine that won't stop "barking".

A spin-off series is surely in order. ;)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

It's a great pity that Mrs G. didn't go on to series four. She was a great character.

And I think they could have done what the puppetry did with Smirky. Do a Festus kind of thing. Reminds me of Fluffy off of Harry Potter and the Philosiphers Stone.
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

It's a great pity that Mrs G. didn't go on to series four. She was a great character.

And I think they could have done what the puppetry did with Smirky. Do a Festus kind of thing. Reminds me of Fluffy off of Harry Potter and the Philosiphers Stone.
I suppose one of the good things about Festus was that people could use their imagination to create him. But yep, it'd be nice to see what the digital graphics and such could make of dear old Festus now ("Shurrup Festus- you see, dearies, 'is 'eds know I'm talking about 'em so I'll 'ave to be quick"). I only saw bits of the first Harry Potter film, but if you're thinking of the same thing I am, then I definitely agree. When I saw that creature with all those heads and such, I know which multi-headed quasi-canine I was thinking about.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

We can do a Fluffy thing with one of it's heads missing... Festus has two heads but used to have three (Series 3 Team 2)   :-/
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

Does anyone else see Mrs Grimwold as a direct replacement for Mildread - i.e. the dungeon witch/crone?

In that context, I can't help but feel that Mildread was the far better character. Less comical, and some of the tricks she concocted to try and lead dungeoneers to their deaths were fantastic. She genuinely appeared to be a little bit deranged.

I realise this is a Grimwold thread so I'll shut up now - just wanted to chip in!  ;)
If this were really happening, what would you think?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Unless you want your head bitten/beaten/nagged off!  ;D

Courtesy of Festus/Grimwold/Mrs. G ;D

GRIMALDINE! Why didn't you call yourself Mrs Grimwold or Mrs G. ;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

a Festus kind of thing. Reminds me of Fluffy off of Harry Potter and the Philosiphers Stone.
They should both remind you of Cerberus, the three-headed (or more, depending on who you read) guard-dog of the Underworld in Greek mythology, who comes before Festus and Fluffy by a few thousand years. Cerberus also crops up in the 2nd Knightmare gamebook.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Dunshelm
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dunshelm »

They should have kept her in series 4 yes.
What the hell was Mistress Goody all about anyway???
- A distinctly magical fashion and therefore somewhat unreliable
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Does anyone else see Mrs Grimwold as a direct replacement for Mildread - i.e. the dungeon witch/crone?

In that context, I can't help but feel that Mildread was the far better character. Less comical, and some of the tricks she concocted to try and lead dungeoneers to their deaths were fantastic. She genuinely appeared to be a little bit deranged.

I realise this is a Grimwold thread so I'll shut up now - just wanted to chip in!  ;)
I think they both are dungeon crones but both very different.  Mildread was my original Fvae charecter as she was one of the KM chars that ever actualy instaled any amount of fright into me.  Her and Mogdred are about the only ones that ever did that as I was already 11-12 when KM first went out.  Mildread realy made me sit up and take notice when teams entered a room with Mildread in you realy did think that now this is a dangerous situation.   Hmm did she ever actualy kill anyone?.

Mrs G is a different kettle of fish.  You never know what kind of mood shes in, helpful or not.  The charecters main strength is the comedy value and the aid of invisible thing Festus.  The 2 just work so well together and Mrs G is acted superbly.

Overall, Mrs G and Mildread are two of my knightmare faves.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Grand. I loved the Mildred voice throwing, especially on the mackem guys at the beginning of S2 (wehey!). There was something very surreal about it all.

About the point of Mrs G and hubby; surely the Ogre must have been played by David Verrey(?). Agreed with all the points about comic factor. Almost tragi-comic, even. 'HURL ONE!' - guess the poor mutt must have been scared stiff half the time. Knightmare would be missing an awful lot with these cult characters - it's all about a general atmosphere and world in itself, and the distinguishable contributions go so far in the memories of it all.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I like Mildread a lot too, but I like Mrs. G. more because a little bit more unpredictable in how she's going to act. She's also funnier. I do like to imagine that they're both still in the dungeon somewhere playing tricks on one another, working out ways to get rid of the other and trying to push the other out of the precious kitchen.  
GRIMALDINE! Why didn't you call yourself Mrs Grimwold or Mrs G. ;D
Because I like the whole composite idea. I like to see what happens in the original situation of these two having been fused, rather than just replaying one character.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

The Grimwalds

Post by Wolfshead »

Is Mrs G a witch and why did she marry an Ogre?