Old Knightmare in todays view

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Old Knightmare in todays view

Post by Purgatory »

After reading posts that i would say are more on the negative side of knightmare.. season 4 and 5 at the moment.   I'm starting to wonder if Challenge? have ruined your image of knightmare and how u rememberd it?     its not going to be as good as it was when you 1st saw it..  and maybe over the years you have build up a image that it can't and never lived up to?

you get what i'm saying?  I'm thinking that if challenge would have left Kmare alone it would still be as we remember it then that how we remember it today?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Old Knightmare in todays view

Post by Malefact »

I understand what you're saying. We often view the past through rose-tinted glasses, especially in the case of childhood. However, Km is a genuinely good programme and although it has lost a bit of its power (since I've already seen every episode and know what happens, compounded by the fact that I am now 21 years old!) it is still my favourite programme of all and the only one I record religiously.

If we're lucky enough to see a new series hit our screens, I'm certain that it will generate all those old feelings. This is because it will be all-new and we won't have any idea what will be coming next. :)
Subject to change.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

In response to the original post my answer is a big fat no.  The amount of negative tinted posts being made at the moment is I think due to the fact the series 5 isnt that good.  When I first watched KM on ITV all those years ago I came to exactly the same conclusion as I have now, that being it went down hill after s4.  For me persoanly there were just too many changes inroduced in S5 that I never took too.  I still love watching it cus its KM but its just not as good as it was in s1-4.  I could compile a list 50 points long as to why I prefer 1-4 but thats pointless and only sparks further debate.  Anyway the 1-4 5-8 thread is still there should anyone wish to go down that path.

To me childerens TV never ages.  I still find all my old faves such fun to watch.  KM, th Flumps, Button moon, Chorlton and the Wheelies, Bagpuss, Bod, Jamie and the magic torch, still all as watchable as it ever was.  Hey and thats even stuff I watched way before KM.

Im disagreeing with what Malefact says as I actualy think any new KM series will be hard on us here.  Everyones going to expect KM and in reality it will probably only hold a passing resemblance.  I can only hope and pray that Im wrong on that fact but I dont think I will be.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Well when I first watched KM I was very young. I dont remember very much of it and certainly not the earlier side of S1. For a couple of years I  didnt even know If i really had watched any show with Blades in and helmet headed people wandering around in dungeons. Then I found this site and rewatched it on Challenge. so I am re-discovering KM more than anything.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I don't think the feelings I get now when I watch Knightmare are the same as the ones I had when I was young and saw it first time round, but I do still get the adult version of the feelings in some cases.
Eg/ When I was young and watched it there were some things that scared me so much that I would either get nightmares about them (the only reoccuring nightmare I ever had was about KM castle), or I would be fascinated with the way it made me feel and I would play it over in my mind until I was actually physically sick. Not a good thing.
Recently I had the reoccuring nightmare again, but as for the sickness, I only feel uncomfortable and sick to my stomach now. I don't actually throw up.

Note: This is only because I get creeped out by really bizarre things. Yes, I'm mad.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Thought so
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Cheers medears  ;D
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

u must really limit your self to what u expose your self to..    
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

The amount of negative tinted posts being made at the moment is I think due to the fact the series 5 isnt that good.
Wordy McWord-Word. I didn't have much memories of Series 5 from the first time round, and I think it must have been because compared to both earlier and later seasons, it's pretty lacklustre. Too much pre-recorded footage, not enough danger!

I really hope Challenge! buys Series 6, since my (admittedly rose-tinted) recollection is that it was much better. They gave Smirky a voice! Plus Lord Fear gets more into character as the snarky, sarky b*stard type rather than the "Look at me, I'm evil! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!" type.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Yep, I agree that most of the negative conversation is down to the fact that Series 5 is one the the weakest KM seasons. It's just too bland and too slow, with characters needing to establish themselves a bit more and more than the usual share of forgettable teams. That's not something people have suddenly remembered- when we used to discuss a series every week, it's pretty much what was said then too when S5 came up. Notably, people then just about unanimously said Series 6 was better than 5.

I also don't think we should shy away from discussing the negative aspects. I do dislike those message boards where you get jumped on and called a heretic if you criticise the subject of the forum, whether it be a programme, an artist, or whatever. Thankfully that doesn't happen here, and people are very free to say what they really think. Of course, if you like nothing about Knightmare and your every post is marked by that preference, you're probably on the wrong forum, frankly!

I do think it's worthwhile to watch it again after the intervening years. Granted, some things are less impressive, including Smirkenorff's flights, but there are also things you notice and can appreciate now that might not have been apparent all those years ago. Some of the more subtle humour is great fun now, and there are in-jokes and asides that I just wouldn't have noticed as a younger Grimwold. Oh, and it's good looking at it now to see how it all fits together, which I don't think I'd have fully appreciated at the time.

Whatever the true story is, it's still entertaining, and at least when I last checked the ratings, 70000 Challenge viewers seem to agree with me. :D
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 03 Nov 2003, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Yay!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

To be fair, Km was always changing. To the enormous credit of all those involved, each series was unique and they never shyed away from experimentation (without which the show would never have been born at all). The game itself was expanded in order to make it more than just a miscellany of rooms but an entire world. A side effect of this was that the game was slowed down a bit by all the Eye Shield footage and extra narrative. This was obviously spotted and corrected, though, as series 6 most assuredly proves.
Subject to change.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Series 6 is far superior to 5. Series 5 to me is like the buidling up and testing ideas IE causeways etc and then series 6 is the big pay off  ;D.
Out of series 5 - 8 series 6 is EASILY the best. IMO
Last edited by SrWilson3S on 03 Nov 2003, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Yes, Series 6 is my favourite, even though it's the series I have the least of (unless you count Series 3, of which I have about 10 minutes).

It's rather frustrating that I'm missing it this time round (I don't have Challenge, I'm in a Uni Hall of Residence). My tape collection is incredibly rare just now, and eventually it'll just be an inferior version...
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

This might cause uproar, but personally, i didnt like early Knightmare as much as the latter series - 6 is my absolute fave, followed by 4 and 2. (apart from Good King Barry!). The main problem with 5 is that the eye shield scenes are way too long. and slow-ass teams! The settings are great, characters need time to adapt to - esp the amazing Lord F and Sly - both of which got better as time went on! 4 & 5 were the intermittent series - characters changing from the "eras" 1-4 5-8. Still bloody good, and love them though! With 4 especially i feel the same way as in 1992!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.