The Eye Shield Issue 50

A dedicated section for The Eye Shield fanzine.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

The Eye Shield Issue 50

Post by Eyeshield »

...can now be found by visiting www.knightmare.com/tes/issue50

Remember, if this issue sparks any opinions or observations that you just can't wait to share, come straight back here and post them in this thread!
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:The Eye Shield Issue 50

Post by 123Pooka »

I'd first like to say I have been a TES fan, and used to read previous issues and although having been away from the knightmare site for quite some time (reasons mainly because that I was no longer at Uni with quite so much free time) I enjoyed getting back to reading this one.

I think I agree somewhat about series 8 and particularly that a lot of it felt crammed towards the end. When I first watched it, however, I really enjoyed it - I was only ten after all and not thinking too much about the technicals or indeed anything other than how cool knightmare was and had always been (I think all of us remember that awful feeling when knightmare was not on the following year and for those of us still schooling, it was heartbreaking!!!! Nothing to look forward to after slogging out a day's boredom... well in my case anyway)

What I will say though is how great I thought the early part of this series was and how it remains in my memory as so. I remember being on the edge of my seat enthralled by Daniel's quest urging them on to victory when those blades zipped through and well we all know the rest. But what a quest that was and the suspense was created well with the tunnels and sound effects etc etc. I also remember that (for once) a dungeoneer (Richard) was killed off in level one - which was refreshing after all previous dungeoneers seemed to breeze through to level 2 from series 4 - 7 when they did not necessarily deserve it. And the claustrophic series 1 - 3 style was sort of revived although perhaps looking back from today I liked the painted rooms more than the CGI.

So although the end of the series sort of formed a negative shadow over the series as a whole I still think it was worth it for those early quests.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Hey, 123Pooka, thanks for posting! :D

I felt the same way about series 8 when it was first on - I was only 11, and it really helped me through my first harrowing term (of many) at secondary school. It is only as I have become older and more critical that I have started to analyse it (perhaps overly) in these terms.

The earlier part of the series is definitely better - Daniel and Nathan both had very exciting quests, which were both deserving of a win. The trouble is, as I said, after the third quest they were more than halfway through the shortened series, so the rest became a crammed, muddled mess! Ah, what a shame... ::)

I totally agree with you about the atmospheric, epic nature of Daniel's quest - it proves that series 8 could have worked quite well, if they'd had time to get in all their new ideas. As it was, this one quest took well over two whole episodes - the end of ep 1, all of eps 2 and 3, and a good chunk of ep 4 as well. And then it all came to an abrupt end in the Corridor of Blades, and there just wasn't enough time to invest so much in the other quests. :'(
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

I to enjoyed this bumper 50th Issue of The Eye Sheild

It had some good articals and fetures (i know i contributed 2 of them but the rest were Brilliant as well)

And I also realy enjoyed Jakes anyliss of Series 8.

Again like the 2 posters i saw Series 8 for the first time threw young innoncet eyes and only realy got to see it and compare it to the other series threw this site and the repeats on Challange.

And while it's deffinatly not stood the test of time as well as its predosesors have i still feel it holds a certain amount of charm and magic.

But alas as sated in the artical and the pervious posts in this thread. Time was the enemy and time won. Daniel and Nathan were both brilliant & engaging quests (even if Giddeon's over egganes did distract from Daniels quest slightly)

But they ate up time that this series just didn't have to spare and sooo we got a some what....not soure but slightly unsatisfing victory and ending to the series and sadly the show itself.

Another thing that sufferd in that series as Jake pointed out were the characters both new and old. No time for Bhal-Sheba or Honesty Bartram or Maldame to make and impression.

and no chane for Lissard and Raptor to evolve as characters.

(Only Stileta realy thrived in this series in my oppinion character wise)

I think in my oppinion the best way to view Knightmare Series 8 is as What Knightmare could have been if Series 8 had been given a fulll run and if Series 9 had taken place.

It held so much promiss but sadly didn't have the time to fullfill it.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Good times - the Eye Shield section of the forum is really taking off! :D
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

Congratulations on reaching issue 50 - another excellent read!
If this were really happening, what would you think?
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Hey, thanks Mr P 8)