Knightmare Convention & Geek Week contestants

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Knightmare Convention & Geek Week contestants

Post by wombstar »

I can't think of any realistic ideas to give things a boots, I think everything that is piratical is being done. The only possible thing would have been to start promoting it a couple of weeks prior to the launch date, getting word out before the fund raising starts is very

We could all print out our own signs and sick them in the back of our car??? lol

Or local fans could get into costume and descend on Norwich city center to spread the word.

Trouble is Km does have a minority fan base, if only it had a bran new series recently that would be a huge benefit for something like this.

What about those celeb Geek weeks fans? with all their followers, would they get involved?
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Convention

Post by Mystara »

wombstar wrote:I can't think of any realistic ideas to give things a boots, I think everything that is piratical is being done. The only possible thing would have been to start promoting it a couple of weeks prior to the launch date
But as I've already said, that was never an option.
wombstar wrote: Trouble is Km does have a minority fan base, if only it had a bran new series recently that would be a huge benefit for something like this.
A few people have made this point.
Basically the argument runs that Knightmare is niche. Therefore, you either need to make the convention available to the masses or you need to increase the ticket price.

The former isn't a possibility because we rely on EPIC studios (based in Norwich) to provide the "play a room of the dungeon".

The latter would see ticket prices in excess of £100, which most people wouldn't be able to afford.
wombstar wrote: What about those celeb Geek weeks fans? with all their followers, would they get involved?
Stuart Ashen already has promoted it quite extensively.

I believe the others make a living by doing such promotions for money. Emma Blackery has indirectly referred to us, but has stopped short of outright asking people to pledge.

Ordinarily, I might have been able to ask them to promote the convention as a favour. However, the Knightmare community has not been kind to the YouTubers and so I don't feel that we're in a position to ask for any favours. This is exactly the sort of thing I warned people about, previously :(
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:Ordinarily, I might have been able to ask them to promote the convention as a favour. However, the Knightmare community has not been kind to the YouTubers and so I don't feel that we're in a position to ask for any favours. This is exactly the sort of thing I warned people about, previously :(
At the same time, it did give them more exposure. Yeah they already have a huge following but I never heard of them before the geek week episode. It's only my opinion but they should be grateful they had the opportunity to star in the episode. The thing is not everyone was going to like Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for their help.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

pjmlfc05 wrote:At the same time, it did give them more exposure. Yeah they already have a huge following but I never heard of them before the geek week episode. It's only my opinion but they should be grateful they had the opportunity to star in the episode. The thing is not everyone was going to like Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for their help.
I'm afraid that's just not how it works. You or I might look at it from the perspective of "they owe us because they were allowed to play Knightmare". However, the fact is that they were brought in to raise the profile of Knightmare and the Geek Week episode. If that wasn't the case, a bunch of strangers would've been picked to take part in the episode instead.

Consequently, the YouTubers were doing the Knightmare community a service.

(and as a side note, they did this very well - one look at the YouTube comments indicates just how many people watched the Geek Week episode as a result of stuart, emma, dan, or phil).

I pleaded with the community to treat the YouTubers with respect, to welcome them, and to try and make them a part of the community. Unfortunately, that absolutely wasn't what happened. Well, now I'm afraid we suffer the consequences. None of them are interested in participating in the convention (the general message I got back was "I'm not sure I'd be very welcome") and in view of the hatred that the Knightmare community threw at them, I don't think they'll see any reason to do us any further favours. Why should they when the last time they did us a favour, we threw it back in their face?

I'm on slightly better talking terms with Stuart than any of the others and he did, very kindly, promote us via Twitter. However, he has been just as clear that he thinks the Knightmare community hate him.

It's a shame, because I think the Knightmare community really shot itself in the foot over that one.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Stuart thinks the KM community hates him? That's a very strong sweeping statement. I certainly don't hate Stuart or Dan, Phil and Emma. Sure I do think Dan was a bit annoying at times. I think that's a bit harsh. There was plenty of people who did like them.

I understand what you're saying but I think it would be safe to say that the KM community do not hate Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart. Unless someone says so otherwise.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I have mixed feelings about the 'youtubers'. As I said at the time, I didn't really like them as a team though 'hate' is a v strong word (and in fact Stuart seemed like the only genuine fan out of the four). Do I think they're important for connecting Knightmare to a new generation? Absolutely.

However, a convention of this sort is inevitably an exercise in nostalgia and I'm not sure the followers of Dan or Emma are going to be interested in seeing the US pilot or meeting original cast members. On a personal note I would hate the convention to be full of teenagers queuing up to get the autographs of people who have played only a v minor part in recent KM history.

I do of course accept that an element of such compromise is probably required if the show is to have any kind of future and it is genuinely nice to think that kids today could become fans. If the geek week episode wasn't such a bolt from the blue then the community might have time to consider the issues and give a more considered reaction. Part of the issue is perhaps that some original fans don't actually want to see the show revived but want to continue celebrating the show as it was.

Publicity aside, I'm disappointed in the viewing/contribution ratio - hopefully many of these people will return to make contributions at a later date.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

pjmlfc05 wrote:I understand what you're saying but I think it would be safe to say that the KM community do not hate Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart. Unless someone says so otherwise.
They disagree.
On balance, I would certainly say that the community was neither welcoming nor supportive and was, for the most part, negative.
wombstar wrote: Those who didn't were a minority from what I could tell from online observations, but all that comes with the territory of being a 'celeb' but if they're busy or have no interest in something like this then it's not fair to hassle them. I don't think they 'owe' anyone anything, but as fans id thought they'd be interested.
Ah, well yes, you're correct. The number of people who moaned about the YouTubers was small in comparison to the people who didn't.
However, most of the people that did moan are people that are perceived as being part of the Knightmare community. Hence, the conclusion that the YouTubers are hated.

For example, you yourself referred to them as "youtube emo celebs" who "ruined" your favourite Children's TV show.

In general, people in this forum, although still negative, were slightly more restrained than they were on Facebook. Some of the comments there are HIDEOUS.
wombstar wrote: Yeah I understand that, I don't mean extending it past the deadline, I mean the exact opposite, getting word out before starting the campaign, for example I see a lot of "coming soon to indiegogo" promos theses days. it's just something I've seen a lot recently, that's all, thought id just bring it up.
Within 12 hours of confirmation that our guests could make the date of the convention we formed our company and within 24 hours of that we launched the campaign.

We only could have advertised it quicker if we started advertising before knowing whether or not our guests could make it
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Drassil wrote:I seem to recall Emma replying to some of the negative YouTube comments, suggesting that the criticism wasn't water off a duck's back.
Indeed. It's infuriating because I *knew* that in the future, the support of the YouTubers could prove to be invaluable.
Drassil wrote: It appears that EPIC and Mark Knight have both tweeted Dan and Phil about the convention.
Yes.
While I feel that we can't easily approach the YouTubers for help, there are others who can :)

Again, please note that Stuart Ashen is, despite his belief that the community dislike him, being the bigger man and is continuing to be extremely supportive of the convention.
Drassil wrote: How does Jessie Cave feel about Knightmare fans and their perception of her? She has four times as many Twitter followers as Knightmare has Facebook likes, so promotion from her could be beneficial unless we've alienated her too. :(
I don't really have contact with her at all. However, I don't think she's been alienated and I could drop her a message to ask for her support.
Drassil wrote:'David Rowe, the artist of the original Knightmare dungeon, will be giving a presentation showing how the Knightmare dungeon was made on the Saturday.' And how on the Sunday, he rested. ;)
I know :)