Knightmare Convention

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare Convention

Post by Greystagg »

Part of the problem is that you never get 100% takeup of anything. It's very easy for someone to click "Like" on a Facebook post, but you have to assume that only about 10% of people who do that will be motivated enough to then donate without an awful lot of marketing effort.

I like the "just £1 would do it" idea, because that's virtually nothing for most people but still shows that they can make a big difference. (Maybe say £2 just to be sure?). And once they're on the donation site they might then decide to go for the DVD option instead. ;)
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Just shared this online to bbc radio norfolk, chris evans breakfast radio show& reminded retro revival events & challenge fb pages about it again, I'll keep continuing to share this online as much as I can & mentioned £1.00 pledge too, 10.00 for knightmare best of convention dvd along with p & p & just how important this event is & what it could mean for the future of knightmare.

Between yesterdays norwich trek & sharing online it's the best I can do & I really hope it helps., the posters should also reach a few other libraries in Norfolk through Norwich library as they said they can pass it on ( hope it reaches fakenham , swaffham & king's lynn & more if they like it & decide to make copies of it & I hope that adventure game shop in exchange st in Norwich see that in the post & look at it as they weren't open yesterday & posted it through their letterbox.

..& we're almost at 3000, just gone up 200 5 or 10 minutes ago.

39 left to 3000,
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Daphne wrote:Part of the problem is that you never get 100% takeup of anything. It's very easy for someone to click "Like" on a Facebook post, but you have to assume that only about 10% of people who do that will be motivated enough to then donate without an awful lot of marketing effort.
Indeed and we hadn't expected 100% uptake at all.
Quite frankly, even the 10% you speak of would be nice. It would be more than enough to cover the costs of the convention.
Daphne wrote: I like the "just £1 would do it" idea, because that's virtually nothing for most people but still shows that they can make a big difference. (Maybe say £2 just to be sure?). And once they're on the donation site they might then decide to go for the DVD option instead. ;)
I'll see if we can push this in a future post.
Right now, we're trying to make people aware that the success (or not) of the convention WILL affect the future of Knightmare. People seem to be oblivious to that, which doesn't help.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

I posted this on linkedin, mentioned to another retrro tgroup on facebook.

Looks like Norwich Evening News 24 has just mentioned us now as well :D .

Edit: Looks like we've now passed the first quarter mark ( now at €3,041 ) :green: .
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

pjmlfc05 wrote:
Drassil wrote:The figures I keep coming back to are number of Knightmare Facebook likes versus number of pounds the Indiegogo campaign needs to raise. If every liker pledged £1 then it would be a done deal. Life Force damage, if you like.
Please don't misquote me! My post did not say that. £1 from each liker would be the opposite of Life Force damage!
dugeoneerborne wrote:Would it be worth asking stephen fry as well?.
I think he's already been messaged. But thank you for all your help and ideas. :)
Mystara wrote:Today, a friend of mine (who works in the media) remarked: "I cannot believe that so many Knightmare fans cannot raise such a tiny amount of money".
It's more "will not" than "cannot". It's depressing to contemplate. Some of the biggest Knightmare fans I know are seemingly showing the least support, and if any of them says anything resembling "I didn't think it would succeed" in the future then I will struggle not to get angry.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I just had that argument on twitter.
I notice there are some supposedly "active" members of the community who haven't even shared on Facebook.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Mystara wrote:I just had that argument on twitter.
I notice there are some supposedly "active" members of the community who haven't even shared on Facebook.
I don't get some of the fanbase, km's fate rests on this & some won't bother, I worked hard especially to go out of My way yesterday to mention this & some can't or won't even make even the tiniest donation, it's beyond ridiculous, I'm still currently job hunting & I still managed to scrape some money together for it, what is their excuse ?.

Drassil: Fry's been asked hey, that's good :D (fingers crossed), I'm still hoping Dara replies to My fb message.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Because 'causal fans' aren't really the type to donate, and not everyone can afford even a small amount, not if you've got a family to support.

Word of mouth seems to be getting out now but it's a bit late, by the time people here about it the deadline is over.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm optimistic it's just a stumble, far greater things have happened to Km recently and you never know what's around the corner. Plenty of successful conventions have not brought back tv shows.

There is the group of people who wont pledge because they think it wont succeed, I've noticed the closer a campaign gets the more likely people will pledge.
Last edited by wombstar on 19 Mar 2014, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassil wrote:
pjmlfc05 wrote:
Drassil wrote:The figures I keep coming back to are number of Knightmare Facebook likes versus number of pounds the Indiegogo campaign needs to raise. If every liker pledged £1 then it would be a done deal. Life Force damage, if you like.
Please don't misquote me! My post did not say that. £1 from each liker would be the opposite of Life Force damage!
Sorry I didn't realise the 'Life Force damage, if you like' bit at the end came from. I was cutting text out to highlight what you said.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

wombstar wrote: Word of mouth seems to be getting out now but it's a bit late, by the time people here about it the deadline is over.
No, people are starting to donate now that the time limit is approaching. The deadline is far from over, it's only 66% up.

And you really have to drop this whole "not enough time" thing. Stats provided by IndieGoGo and Kickstarter both reveal that the length of a campaign has no bearing on its success.
It's not the end of the world, and I'm optimistic it's just a stumble, far greater things have happened to Km recently and you never know what's around the corner. Plenty of successful conventions have not brought back tv shows.
I am not sure what you are thinking of. Nothing recently has demonstrated a loyal fan base to any media companies.

As for other TV shows, you appear to be confusing the generic with the specific. In Knightmare's case, the failure of the convention will almost certainly spell the end for Knightmare. A successful convention does not guarantee its return but an unsuccessful one will almost certainly prevent it.

You have several very media savvy people telling you that.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well life has taught me nothing is set in stone, nobody knows what will happen later down the line, who would have predicted Km would be in the current position it is now. Many unexpected things happen on this journey. I'm not so quick to close the coffin.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Of course, rather than simply hoping, you could also leap in and promote/donate.
I'm sure there are bloggers who could be targeted, people who could be informed.

And as keeps being mentioned, even £1 makes all the difference.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

It is payday for a lot of people tomorrow. Hopefully myself included, we can get to make a pledge.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Mystara wrote:Of course, rather than simply hoping, you could also leap in and promote/donate
I've been posting links and trying to get word out as much as I can I have very little friends on social web sites, and I'm not very active online but I've brought it up on my local hangouts, The thing is I get the same response form everybody "oh I love km, been watching the repeats.. love a new series..." but nobody seems to be interested in a convention, it's hard to convert fans into cash.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:
Mystara wrote:Of course, rather than simply hoping, you could also leap in and promote/donate
I've been posting links and trying to get word out as much as I can I have very little friends on social web sites, and I'm not very active online but I've brought it up on my local hangouts, The thing is I get the same response form everybody "oh I love km, been watching the repeats.. love a new series..." but nobody seems to be interested in a convention, it's hard to convert fans into cash.
I know the feeling. The response I've had from friends back in Liverpool is that they would love to go but they are too far away to attend. So therefore they find it hard to justify making a pledge if they can't attend.
Drassil wrote:
Mystara wrote:Today, a friend of mine (who works in the media) remarked: "I cannot believe that so many Knightmare fans cannot raise such a tiny amount of money".
It's more "will not" than "cannot". It's depressing to contemplate. Some of the biggest Knightmare fans I know are seemingly showing the least support, and if any of them says anything resembling "I didn't think it would succeed" in the future then I will struggle not to get angry.
Again I share your frustration but I do disagree with the "will not" than "cannot" bit. I'm sure there are people who would love to make a pledge but due to their financial circumstances, cannot do so. I am one of those people. I think also people on here would never say that they didn't think it would succeed. Why would they think that for?
Last edited by pjmlfc05 on 20 Mar 2014, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.