Introduction

New members are very welcome to introduce themselves here.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Introduction

Post by HStorm »

What? I only confirmed what you said yourself!
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

?

There were posts a moment ago talking about a Daughter... I think....

Sod it, sorry Hstorm, I'm gonna go lie down for a while... I starting to see things that aren't there...
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Ceur de Lion means Lionheart who is Richard I so I was right.

He's an interesting King, the Victorians loved him but he never spent more than a year in England.

Interestingly did anyone here know that the Assassins of Knightmare are based on a real group.

They were Shi-ite Muslims who lived in Syria in the 12th century, in the mountains on the borders between the Crusaders states and the Seljuk Empire. Their leader was called Al Hashasheim, also known as "THE OL MAN OF THE MOUNTAINS" They tried to kill people on both sides and even attempted to assassinate Saladin.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Richard the Lionheart was one of the most brutal kings in British history. His legend records him as some kind of super hero of the English monarchy, but in fact he was neither English (he was an Angevin Frenchman) nor a good king. He spent only six months of his reign in England, and while on Crusade he had his troops butcher three thousand defenceless people at Acre. On one occasion he even said he's happily sell all of London if he could get a decent offer for it.

If it weren't for how awful a ruler his brother John proved to be, people would probably not have such a negative contemporary to compare Richard with and wouldn't think nearly so highly of him.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I did an essay about the end of the Angevin Empire last year. I know all the stuff you just said, but he was a good general though. It was his qualities of leadership that kept the Angevin Empire together after the death of his father, Henry II. John lost the lands because he was an idiot no doubt about, he couldn't even get his own men to fight most of the time.

Personally I would prefer Knightmare to have been set in the 14th century when England had two truly useless Kings: Edward II and Ricahrd II.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I wouldn't say King John was an idiot. He was cowardly, rapacious and untrustworthy, but not an idiot. (The reason the English Barons wouldn't co-operate with him was that they couldn't trust him and felt no loyalty to him, not because they thought he was incompetent.)
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

In fact I think it would be great if Knightmare had been set in the reign of henry V

Idiot might have been a strong word, but here are just a few of his mistakes, some minor:

Antagonising his Vassel Hugh de Lusignon by Marrying Isabella d'Anguileme.

Being the only ever ruler in Latin Christendom to refuse Mass (cmmunion) on his coronation, which offended the clergy.

Dropping a ceremonial lance on his foot whilst being invested as Duke of Normandy.

Eating Lamprays and getting dysantry (oooooo naaaaasty).

Did you know he allowed England to be a Papal fief
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yes I did know that, but if he hadn't agreed to it the whole country would've been excommunicated, which would've made him just as unpopular at home, and even MORE unpopular abroad.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Pope Innocent III did put the whole country under interdict until Archbishop Steven Langton was allowed to take up his see at Canterbury.

Interdict is when excommunicate a whole community, except for the clergy. A good example would be when the Emperor Frederick II made negotiations with Al Kamil, Sultan of Cairo and Jerusalem ironically was placed under interdict by Pope Gregory IX.

Also Frederick had a double excommunication before he even got to Acre.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Oh hi and welcome here Pendragon :).
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
MagicMiranda
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by MagicMiranda »

Hiya Pendragon, Hope you get your masters nxt yr.
Welcome to the site hope you like it. See you around (so to speak)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time you are given." From Lord Of The Rings