Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Discussion about Knightmare in youtube's Geek Week.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:No, the criticism would be that not enough people were interested, which is a much stronger criticism.
That may be the case. But I'm just referring to the comment you made regarding the networks lack of interest due to the fans criticism of the episode.

I don't think you can gauge whether there is sufficient interest in the pilot just on a youtube video. Then again, there was a vast majority of likes on the video so you could argue why do networks not refer to this instead of using comments as a gauge.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Because they receive thousands and thousands of commission requests.

They're LOOKING for a reason to say 'no'.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Ok. Amongst what I have been saying, I'm still grateful for the geek week episode. I will live in hope that one day, Knightmare will return.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Using Youtubers as a way of drawing attention to a pilot is a great idea. Lots of people have now watched KM who would otherwise never have heard of it. If the pilot worked, people will have fallen for the format and be wanting more - format being the operative word.

Surely, as a commissioner, the feedback you're really interested in is what the new audience thinks of the format, rather than what the old audience thinks of the Youtubers.

If not, KM could be picked up by a network which doesn't really understand what makes the show tick and that doesn't bode well for a longer term comeback. Shows should have high ratings because they're good, not because viewers are chasing personalities around their various projects. An idealistic view I know, but KM is so precious that it should be treated with the utmost care and respect - do it properly or not at all! Citing negative feedback of Youtubers as a reason not to commission perhaps demonstrates that the network had no faith in the underlying format and the last thing we want is the input of a network which doesn't really believe in KM but thinks people will watch it if the right celebs are involved.

And personally, a KM which doesn't accept applications from members of the public will never be on my wish list. Kids should watch the show and think 'I want to be on Knightmare' not 'I want to be a Youtuber'.

That all said, I feel a bit of a dinosaur writing this - but I refer you to my second paragraph!

Anyway, good to see the extended geek week ep again! It does make me think that this sort of 'webisode' could increase KM's marketability by getting round the rolling format which many commissioners dislike i.e. without the restriction of a TV schedule episode length can vary and therefore each episode can be an entire quest, no matter how successful. The drawback is that the length of the video would, to a certain extent, give the game away!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I would have hoped that a programme commissioner wouldn't have considered feedback that related to the YouTubers, who presumably wouldn't be part of the show on a regular basis.

But I also would have hoped that fans of the show wouldn't have shown themselves to being so sensitive to something as trivial as who the contestants are. If you really watch the episode, critically, they don't take much away from the show. They make the odd comment that shows that they don't take their involvement all that seriously, and I think that's what jars with some of the hardcore fan base.

But as a programme commissioner, I would be worried that the hardcore fan-base would turn into an organised hate group as a result of changes that would have to be made to the show. Like it or not, the networks do not seem to want a carbon copy of Knightmare, so if it ever comes back, something is going to have to change. By showing ourselves to be so inflexible, I think we damage our chances of the show ever coming back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I would have hoped so too, but I thought you said that networks cited fans' criticism of the geek week episode as a reason for not picking up the show - wasn't such fan criticism largely related to the Youtubers?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yes, hence the past tense :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I certainly read more positives than negatives from 'fans' and mainly positives from 'newbies' to the show. I'm surprised any network would care what people thought of the contestants unless they only wanted to go down that root (celebrities/parody) version of Km. After all it wasn't the format that got criticism.

Plus, it's a pilot not the finished result and there for any criticism should be considered constructive. (all pilots I've seen are very different to the commissioned show) I suspect theses tv networks just don't believe in the format and that they might be judging it for all the wrong things. (contestants)

Maybe if there was a revival of classic games shows things might be different.

Anyway, Onwards.
Never know what's around the corner, this past year for Km has proved that.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Again, it's not the reaction to the contestants they care about. It's the seeming inflexibility of the fans.

and I totalty get that. As I say, if I were a programme commissioner I wouldn't want to take on a show where i know the format has to change and the fans will whinge at the slightest change from the format they want.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

In terms of inflexibility, what do you mean by that?

The format hasn't changed has it? Unless you mean in terms of contestants. The episode was a throwback to the earlier series I thought with some of the rooms.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Post by Mystara »

afaik the networks aren't interested in the old format of the show so a new Knightmare will have a new format.

Therefore we need to be flexible. Complaining about things like "the contestants" or "the use of adults rather than kids" does not help because then we come across as being unwilling to accept anything but a carbon copy of Knightmare.

The networks won't give us that and if they think that's all we will accept, they will give us nothing.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Recalling when Televirtual were trying to create TimeGate, most KM fans seemed eager about the idea, and it was a substantial change of format from Knightmare. Opposition to a format change on principle will probably be quite small. Objections are more likely to be based on whether the changes are good or bad.

Who the contestants were in a pilot episode is neither here nor there, as contestants are the parameters that change from episode-to-episode. That's true of any gameshow.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Apparently the opposition was enough. I reiterate that networks are in a position where they are looking for a reason to drop it, not a reason to keep it.

Whether it's logical and whether we agree with it or not is really neither here nor there. That's the situation.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Hmm, it does seem to be an excuse rather than a well thought out reason. Concern about a particular set of contestants seems a strange definition of inflexibility; they should see some comments about sight spells and the reach wand (and KM was still going strong then)!

Points already made aside, the number of fans who actively documented negative feedback (on this site or elsewhere) would be a tiny proportion of a potential audience. Wouldn't they?

It would be really interesting to hear how a network would want to tweak the format because geek week was essentially the show we all know and love.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I don't know of anything specific. I think child contestants is considered to be undesirable.