Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Discussion about Knightmare in youtube's Geek Week.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Post by shadow6162 »

Well it's up! Very interesting this one, it has the gargoyle room and this odd puzzle room, let's share thoughts on them! http://youtu.be/TSU8i1jlCCw
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Geek Week Extended Episode

Post by HStorm »

Certainly glad they trimmed down the opening scene quite a lot. Still not a fan of it, but it's a lot less irritating now. They also seem to have changed the voice treatments on some of the level 2 scenes - neither good nor bad, that, just an observation.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Another interesting development is the notorious "Did-she-or-didn't-she-swear?" moment. The sound-field seems to have been adjusted so Isy's voice comes through more clearly, and there is now no doubt at all that she says, "heck".
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yeah I did enjoy seeing the 2 extra rooms. The prime numbers room felt like a causeway puzzle which I always enjoyed watching in series 5 and 6. Was expecting the gargoyle to say more. Also shades of Barry with the dramatic music with the drips of water!

Yes on this video you can clearly hear Isy say 'Heck'! I still say it does sound more like the f bomb going back to the original episode! ;D
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Yayyy! Thank you so much to everyone involved in getting this to us. :)

I see that even the final edit didn't include everything they filmed (we don't see any more of the spider chase through Level 1 that Alan mentioned, or the team's full conversation in the Level 2 clue room). Great to see more of Theodora and Lord Fear, though.

I'd love to know what happens if you "overdo it" by standing under the energy drip for too long, haha! Would he start bouncing off the walls? ;D

I wasn't expecting the Gargoyle to behave like a Blocker, I thought it would be more chatty! Funny how some of them never shut up, while others have nothing to say except "Password!" or "Doom!"

The team did well on the prime number Causeway thingy. :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Good to see this version again feels much more compete than the short version.
Feels more like an adventure.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Isn't it interesting - dare I say hopeful - that it's titled Knightmare Pilot, given what pilot episodes are usually used for...? :)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The intro is actually only about 20 seconds shorter by my reckoning. It's about 5% less.

As for the name, it was being used for exactly what the name suggests and still might be.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:The intro is actually only about 20 seconds shorter by my reckoning. It's about 5% less.

As for the name, it was being used for exactly what the name suggests and still might be.
Hint hint Challenge!!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Challenge probably aren't big enough.

The only thing I recall hearing about the whole process was that one of the networks cited fans' criticism of the geek week episode as the reason for their lack of interest.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

And that is why I still stand by what I say. That 4 people from the forum should have got the chance to be part of it. No disrespect to Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart but looking at the comments on the gw episode, a lot of people were not interested in Knightmare itself, just them. The episode should have been about Knightmare first and foremost.

So in my opinion the focus ended up on the youtubers instead of Knightmare. Which is why there was so much negativity.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

pjmlfc05 wrote:And that is why I still stand by what I say. That 4 people from the forum should have got the chance to be part of it.
I completely disagree, but the point is moot.

A pilot was only able to be produced because Google wanted to commission an episode of Knightmare. Google insisted on using the YouTubers. Therefore, the pilot also had to make use of them as the contestants. Short of handing Tim £100k, it's that or nothing.

But that point notwithstanding, it's an entirely sensible tactic to make use of four well-known geeks in order to draw an audience in to your pilot and get the audience interested in what could be a new show. And people DID become interested as a result.
No disrespect to Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart but looking at the comments on the gw episode, a lot of people were not interested in Knightmare itself, just them.
I see plenty of people excited in seeing Dan and Phil (in particular). But most of those people also clearly found the show exciting. I have yet to see a comment that puts forward the message "That was crap, but I loved seeing Dan and Phil". The YouTubers were clearly the reason that many people saw the episode (even though, actually, the video was posted on Ashens channel, whose demographic is almost identical to that of Knightmare).

But given that had the desired effect of pulling people in and getting a bunch of people excited about a possible show that they otherwise never would have heard of, who cares? Networks certainly don't. They want to commission shows that people will watch. Whether people watch the show because it's "Dan and Phil" or because it's "Knightmare" doesn't matter to them at all. But it DOES matter in terms of getting a big enough audience that would make networks sit up and listen. Knightmare on its own wouldn't have done that. It's been tried before.

So I ask myself - if the choice was between "no more Knightmare" or "Knightmare featuring YouTubers as contestants", which would I pick?

I confess that I always choose the latter.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

I think I'd choose the latter too, at least the YouTubers fans will at least know the show exists ^_^
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

What I'm trying to say is most of the negativity came because of Dan, Phil, Emma and Stuart. Whether that's right or not is up for debate. I don't think they were bad personally. I did think they were ok.

Of course I would watch Knightmare with youtubers. However, some people were watching it purely for them and NOT Knightmare. Which I find wrong.

If you say the networks lack of interest was due to the criticism, would this have happened if the youtubers were not used and instead 4 people picked at random? It's not their fault but unfortunately some people did not like them. This gave the wrong impression of what the geek week episode was meant to be about for me and the focus was lost on some of the people.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

pjmlfc05 wrote:If you say the networks lack of interest was due to the criticism, would this have happened if the youtubers were not used and instead 4 people picked at random?
No, the criticism would be that not enough people were interested, which is a much stronger criticism.