A Good Man Goes to War

Discussions of the classic british sci-fi show.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

A Good Man Goes to War

Post by BBrooks »

Well, Steven Moffatt promised us something epic and he was true to his word. At times it felt like I was watching "Star Wars" rather than DW. It was amazing how such an impressive looking episode was made on a limited budget. I take my hat off to everybody who worked on it.

A who's who of character's/monsters returned Silurian's, Sontaran's, Judoon, Dorium Maldavar and Captain Avery. Sadly some of them weren't used to their full potential, the Judoon suddenly appeared at Demon's Run and then disappeared. Captain Avery and Toby thwarted Madame Kovarian's escape and then that was it. Villian's-wise, the Cybermen made their presence felt at the beginning very well, but really this episode belonged to the Headless Monk's. They were a cross between Brother Strange and the FrightKnight's. :-D
Series 6 has so far conjured up some very cool and scary new monsters. The Silence have already become firm-favourites amongst fans, for the Headless Monk's it will be the same.

Karen Gillan has blossomed in this series and Amy is no longer the person that she was in "The Eleventh Hour". She's now a strong character, who's only worry in life now is her daughter Melody (or should I call her.............No I'll go over that later). Rory is now every inch the warrior, who will seemingly take down anybody who get's in the way of Amy and Melody. Matt Smith has got better with each passing episode, the anger that he had, when interogatting Colonel Manton was excellent. There was some of the Sixth Doctor in there and the look of sadness in his eyes when apologising to Amy for not realising that Melody was Flesh was well acted.
I still think Madame Kovarian is the Rani or something similar, why would she have such a vendetta against The Doctor? She somehow knows him or has fought him before. Frances Barber gave a wonderful Wicked Witch of the West-style peformance and I can't wait to see more of her.

Now for that ending, River Song is Amy's daughter. That leaves us with many plot-holes and questions to ponder over. Can River regenerate? If so was the little girl at the end of "Day of the Moon", River regenerating into her present form? Could it be that Kovarian is the Rani and the reason she wants River is to start a new Timelord Race? As a cliffhanger though, it was brilliant and it left you begging for more.

Who knows what's in store for the autumn, but one things for sure it's going to be something explosive and epic. But first, let's kill Hitler.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: A Good Man Goes to War

Post by JamesA »

BBrooks(KM Forever) wrote:Well, Steven Moffatt promised us something epic and he was true to his word.
I couldn't agree more.

I know I'm not as good as giving in-depth reviews of the DW episodes, but when I watched this on iPlayer a couple of days ago I was well and truly impressed. The confusing plots of the first few series' episodes were completely forgotten as we were all treated to a delightful layered story where as soon as one exciting plotline had been solved, another one immediately took its place. And it has left me completely looking forward to the second half of the series when it reutrns in the autumn.

I would actually go as far to say that this genuinely was the best episode of Doctor Who I've seen since Blink.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary