Question for contestants: meeting adjacent teams

Questions for the cast and crew of Knightmare
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Question for contestants: meeting adjacent teams

Post by Drassil »

What kind of interaction did you have with the Knightmare teams immediately before or after yours?

For example, we know from Dan (Series 7 Team 7) that his team 'got on so well with the team before us (Julie, Sam, Helen & Helen) that a couple of 'inter-team' relationships ensued and many holidays together were had!'
Requiem
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Question for contestants: meeting adjacent teams

Post by Requiem »

Great question. Unfortunately, I don’t think we had much more interaction with Duston, Alan, Oliver and Alex than we did with the team that followed us (obviously there wasn’t one of those).

I vaguely recall chatting with the guys by the window in the Green Room (the window was on the far wall from where you entered the room). But I couldn’t tell you about what. Someone did mention they’d survived the CoB but the guys were well behaved in not divulging much and we were well behaved in not asking them to.

I don’t recall where abouts team 6 was at in the dungeon when we arrived. I do remember we arrived Monday 8th August. We filmed our entrance scene late in the day on Tuesday (the only scene we filmed that day) and then filmed all day Wednesday 10th August and then went home. It was a long and tiring day. I presume team 6 went home Tuesday 9th - I don’t think there was much overlap as we went swimming and out for lunch on the Tuesday so weren’t even in the Green Room much that day, at least not for the first half.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I recall that it was strongly discouraged.
I seem to recall the rules (or one of the bits of paperwork we had) not exactly prohibiting it, but strongly discouraging us from interacting and sharing information.

Keep in mind that the backup team was called as soon as the primary team started, and it would usually take the backup team a day or two to arrive, so there was little overlap anyway. In addition, adjacent teams were kept in different hotels and, if the primary team were still playing, then the backup team were usually sent to the nearby leisure centre in the afternoon (we didn't get this because the team before us died at lunchtime).

I recall Sue and Tim saying that the teams were sent to lunch at different times, too.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Teams 4 & 5 of Series 5 were an interesting case. Both were from Exeter; Team 4 completed Level 3; Team 5 lost on Level 1; they not only met but travelled home together too. Ray from Team 4 shared a photo (on Knightmare.com) showing both teams on the train; Andrea from Team 5 has shared a photo (via social media) of both teams in the green room at Anglia TV.

Talking of the Series 5 winners, there's an excellent Twitter thread here analysing the letters Ray received from the Knightmare production team.
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

We met our predecessors: team seven of series four. They had clearly been told not to tell us anything about the game, and it was pretty soon after we arrived on the Monday afternoon that, as they returned from a filming session, one of the boys declared, "We're dead!". They didn't seem to be too upset by their defeat, though; so far as we could tell, anyway.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Thank you all for your insights on this topic.

s4t8brett wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 14:21 We met our predecessors: team seven of series four. They had clearly been told not to tell us anything about the game, and it was pretty soon after we arrived on the Monday afternoon that, as they returned from a filming session, one of the boys declared, "We're dead!".

Their exceptionally short Level 2 had the Block & Tackle as the second (and the fatal) room: earlier than in any other quest. It was in contrast to yours: you encountered the same obstacle later than any other team.

s4t8brett wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 14:21 They didn't seem to be too upset by their defeat, though; so far as we could tell, anyway.

As a fan, one of the surprises of hearing from Knightmare contestants in subsequent years has been that some of those who 'didn't do well' from a watcher's point of view (compared to other teams) still had a winning experience, simply through getting to be on Knightmare.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Drassil wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 13:34 As a fan, one of the surprises of hearing from Knightmare contestants in subsequent years has been that some of those who 'didn't do well' from a watcher's point of view (compared to other teams) still had a winning experience, simply through getting to be on Knightmare.
I guess that in participating in Knightmare, you were open to the very high probability of failure. It set your expectations from the start.