Series 4 Team 7 & Gameplay

Posts by cast, crew and contestants
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 4 Team 7 & Gameplay

Post by Fidjit »

I found that as time went on dungeoneers were becoming a lot more interactive with the characters on the show. That's why I felt sorry for Matt when he fell. He was quite a plucky dude. And that stride at the end as he's walking away was just epic!
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

I hadn't realised the previous team to us was also sent into the Block and Tackle on the diagonal as well as us. Giles was told to take 'four large steps' into the room by the floor manager. Due to his enthusiasm, perhaps, he started off quite far into the room on the left-hand side during the first take, the ground fell away under him and, ironically (vis-a-vis the famour 'Sidestep Left' incident), I said 'Err, Giles, take a sidestep right'. Possibly we tried to get quickly to the far left exit due to the proximity, I can't remember for sure.

Possibly the diagonal was appropriate for us encountering it in Level 3: I can't think why it would have been a 'punishment' for anything we'd done wrong earlier in our quest. I'm glad Mystara found it only takes ten seconds to reorient the dungeoneer, but I think this greatly depends (not least on the dungeoneer and how many advisors are speaking at once) - I always thought re-orienting a dungeoneer from a diagonal was problematic, because they always wonder about exactly how far to turn. My memory is hazy in this respect, but I thought we spent a lot of time practising maneouvres in preparation for this sort of thing.

Rather than sidestepping, we could have headed diagonally towards the right exit, and corrected at the end.

I'm glad it's not just me who has wondered about the whole issue of fairness on Knightmare. I didn't realise quite how much making-it-up went on; perhaps such decisions would have been more objective had they been collegiate or delegated. It seems our 'Tiny' spell had no potential purpose at all. We may as well have not rescued Merlin. Possibly it would have been better for the producer to have warned Pickle to stick to the script, if it really was that heavily scripted (which I find dubious, I must say) - which doubtless he did, but to deliberately 'kill them off in the next room' seems over-the-top.

There's a similar issue on the Corridor of Blades: in the winning quest of series 4, Pickle told the dungeoneer simply to move to one wall or another. In our quest, he told Giles specifically to duck. This made for good drama but is also directly why he nearly got sliced: he was trying to manoeuvre across and duck at the same time.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I figured you could've done that too Brett. But in a situation like that one, sometimes haste overtakes everything else. The fact you managed to get Giles out of there so quickly, combined with his quick responses and reflexes, goes to show that you well and truly took that danger by the butt and kicked it into the stratosphere.

Which is why (and a lot of people would agree with me) that it was an entertaining and well pulled off manoeuvre. And will always go down as one of the most memorable moments in Knightmare history. You're team deserved to win. After the winless season three, seeing two teams the following year would've been great. Where Dickon and his crew were more of a serious bunch, your gang was rather "fun loving" (if that's the right words) :) I got more entertained watching your team than the others in that series.

And quite honestly, it doesn't matter if you did lose the quest for the Chalice. You're all winners in my humble opinion 8)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

Thanks for your kind, complimentary remarks, Fidjit (Happy Easter, btw).

I know what you mean about Dickon's team. They were certainly very cautious. I think they had an easier run, no doubt, with no Block and Tackle, the Corridor of Blades as I mentioned was I think easier because Pickle didn't say 'duck' and give them the idea of needing to move up and down as well as left and ride. Someone posted that their victory as flawless but in fact there were times when they didn't know answers and needed prompting.

I don't think it's sour grapes to say that - and I was amazed that they got away with pledging to serve Malice as they did, which was completely contrary to the Adventurer's Code they would have read.

It made me wonder what spells of our own we could have 'cast' ... e.g. EMBOLDEN in the face of Mogdred (how can you disprove its effectiveness?!), or TRUTH when we really know the answer ... I think the production team would have found it entertaining but the producer would have told us he wasn't happy and wanted us not to keep doing it (or worse). But, as a bit of speculative mirth, I wonder what other 'spells' a team could cook up that don't rely on the production team's collusion ?!

It does rather seem that Team 1 was unlucky to be the first team, Team 6 was lucky because the production team was desperate for a win in the series, and we were unlucky to be the last team. 'Hurry team, for this phase of the dungeon is drawing to a close' as if to put the responsibility onto the team is a bit rich if you know there is no chance of them completing it anyway!

Although we may reflect on the fairness of episodes now, I daresay most of us weren't concerned to go over it all in such a detailed way at the time, and the producer's remarks often evince he was at least generally trying to be fair.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

And a happy easter to you too sir :)

And indeedly so. I did feel they got handed it on a silver platter with not having the Block and Tackle obsticle. And compared to your experiences in the Corridor of Blades the technique Giles utilised halfway through is most likely the better way of surviving it.

Personally I have said before elsewhere that I reckon they should allow the last team from the previous one to return and have another attempt at completing the dungeon again. Only problems I see with that is, they'd have to do it all over again, and secondly you'd probably have fallen for what I've known it to be called "First Team Fever." I don't think I need to explain that terminology, I'm sure it's easy to figure what I meant :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/