A few DVD questions!

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: A few DVD questions!

Post by Fan »

And are you willing to pay the price for the lot (8 sets) though? Can you afford it? It's not like that way is going to be cheep. It will be really expensive, which I certainly could not afford. I may just be able to afford one set though!
I would buy all the series DVD's as they come but I doubt they will release them all in one set.  Even if they did (Which is very unlikely)  A set of eight DVD's wouldn't cost lots.  The James Bond 007 DVD set contains 20 DVD's and it's cost is £140-£160.  A set of eight DVD's would cost far less than that.
Last edited by Fan on 11 Nov 2003, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I thought you meant loads of dvd's like one per episode or something to that effect, not one per series. I certainly could not afford to get all of them if there's one per episode. (I have worked out in my head that there was about 114 episodes. I may be wrong though.)
Last edited by MoanaLiza on 11 Nov 2003, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fan »

I doubt it would be one disc per episode.  There's a lot of DVD's which have movies which are more than three hours long plus about an hour or more of extra features. I think they could get far more than 1 episode on to the disc.  They could probably get the whole of series 1 on to just 1 DVD and maybe the others as well.  
Last edited by Fan on 12 Nov 2003, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

KM on DVD would sell i think, there are a lot more fans out there than you first think. I for one really hope it does happen
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

1. Would you prefer one or a set of dvds?
Probably a set or one would be nice with a selection of episodes on startup...
2a. would you like other thing included?
Yes
b. If so what would you like?
How the program was made I would think... Interview Tim Child or Hugo Myatt and any other characters.
3. How would you like the format?
i.e. would you like breaks/episode endings, with perhaps things added, etc.
Theme Tunes would be good, endings (with no voice overs of course)
4. If you would like input any ideas what you would like?
See 2b
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fan »

KM on DVD would sell i think, there are a lot more fans out there than you first think. I for one really hope it does happen
Yes.  I can't wait to see if it comes out, because the show would be better on DVD than on TV because you could watch it anytime you like.  Past episiodes that is.
Last edited by Fan on 13 Nov 2003, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

1. Would you prefer one or a set of dvds?  
One Boxset would be cool, but i think options for both?
2a. would you like other thing included?  
Yes
b. If so what would you like?  
Interviews, Slow Hand, Behind scenes, blue room technique
3. How would you like the format?  
i.e. would you like breaks/episode endings, with perhaps things added, etc.
Episode start and finish no breaks!!!!!
4. If you would like input any ideas what you would like?
The 8/14 DVDS (1 for 1 and 8 def?) have a pattern on spine with logo?
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

The expense thing is definitely a good point. If it's to sell enough copies, the thing mustn't be horrendously overpriced. Thus if certain extras do push the price up a lot, I think most people would gladly forego them. In fairness, though, if it was arranged well enough, interviews etc. might not be too costly. Based on what Tim Child said, an official DVD release might earn the actors at least a little cash, so hopefully they'd be pretty willing to contribute in the expectation of getting some return in the future. I guess whether extras and such are included also depends on what type of thing Granada want to release- they may only want to release the bare minimum without any fuss, or they may want to mark it properly and make the best KM experience they can with all the possible material.

I think I'd prefer it on lots of DVDs- if it's possible, then 2 per series. The fact series 1 and 8 are shorter is pretty convenient since I suppose those are where most of the extras would naturally fit. Although it would indeed be expensive to have to pay £15 or so for each set, as others have said, it would probably be over a few years. Just think of all the things you buy fairly regularly like that that you wouldn't consider buying all in one go, and it seems a lot more feasible.

I'd personally like to see extras, and I hope it's decided to do it properly like that, so long as it's not thus made horribly expensive. My few thoughts on possible extras-

1. Commentaries/Interviews/Features.
These are great on other DVDs. It needn't be lots of different commentaries, but could still include lots of people with their comments edited together naturally. There's 4 main commentaries I can think of right now-
a) Tim Child.
b) Other production staff.
c) Hugo Myatt.
d) Other actors.  

In some cases interviews might be more appropriate, with special features on certain aspects- for example, on how Smirkenorff was created an operated. The commentary and interviews could include so much stuff, from what the actors/production crew thought of the teams, how different effects were done, where ideas came from, recollections and anecdotes etc. etc. Whether within the commentary or, if there was enough of it, separately, it'd be great to have something about how an episode was put together, from pre-production through the filming process to all the post-production and editing stuff. Having seen what Jenna and Andrea posted recently, it's be really interesting to hear this story properly from the other side. Perhaps also for each series it'd be cool to try to get together members of just one of the teams so we can hear the story from their point of view too- all about the audition process, the filming and such.

2. Deleted Scenes/Outtakes.
Not sure what would still exist, but I'd especially like to see the outtakes, if they're still around. Edit them together and set them to music for each series and you've got something great.

3. Scene Selection.
Yep, would be good to be able to select it by episode or by team. (Personally, I'd rather leave the start and end of episodes in.)

4. Animations and Title Sequences.
It's be good to have the life force sequences on their own somewhere, plus information on how they were put together, which might fall within 1. Perhaps also falling within 1. is some mention of how the title sequences were developed- oh, and the theme music.

5. Actor Biographies.
Pretty self-explanatory.

6. Information on other Broadword/Televirtual projects past and present.
It'd be good to have a history of their developments, and a little about their other TV and non-TV projects. Copyright permitting, it could include a few clips of other homemade programmes.

7. "Other" Knightmare Episodes.
The pilot would be a great addition for the Series 1 set, and it'd be nice to see the American pilot that TC once mentioned existed. Again copyright permitting, how about a little of the foreign versions, maybe just a few clips, or a whole episode if space permitted, just to compare and contrast. Again, it'd be great to hear TC and other developers talking about selling the format to other countries and what types of products were thus produced.

8. Miscellaneous.
Perhaps including any more original artwork, designs, plans etc. that still survive.

9. An extra scene.
It's pretty silly, but I had the idea of trying to put one of the actors into their original costume for each DVD set and filming a scene for the end of the DVD. It could be nostalgic or comical to suit tastes, and a different actor for each series DVD set. Just an idea.

I could think of more or develop some of these a bit but that's enough for now, I guess.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 17 Nov 2003, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

3. Scene Selection.
Yep, would be good to be able to select it by episode or by team. (Personally, I'd rather leave the start and end of episodes in.)

4. Animations and Title Sequences.
It's be good to have the life force sequences on their own somewhere, plus information on how they were put together, which might fall within 1. Perhaps also falling within 1. is some mention of how the title sequences were developed- oh, and the theme music.

I could think of more or develop some of these a bit but that's enough for now, I guess.
Blummin' 'eck, there's a lot here! I'll just add my small contribution, in that if they can leave the introduction of Father Ted, Dangermouse et al alone in DVD compilations, then Knightmare title sequences should remain intact. It didn't look too quirky on my video tapes...

Include all the types of theme music as well, of course...
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"