Legal Knightmare DVDs

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
shane
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by shane »

I signed up to say a BIG YES!!! I WILL BUY!
jomo1124
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by jomo1124 »

I would buy them in a heartbeat - great to see there is still momentum towards a DVD release!
rob1987
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by rob1987 »

I've just registered to say you completely have my support and I will definietly buy as many episodes as you are offering, challenge copies just don't do it justice!! :D
ReNZoRUK
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by ReNZoRUK »

You would definitely have my backing. Would purchase every episode!

I now wait with baited breath ;)
penf
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by penf »

KNIGHTMARE DVDS!!!!!!!!!
GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

As a huge fan of Knightmare, I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't be willing to pay £1 per episode for the full series. I would be willing to pay 50p each, which is £56 for the full series. If episodes were made available at £1 each, I would probably buy the first 3 or 4 series. In other words, I don't think I'd like to be spending much more than £50 on Knightmare DVDs. Sorry!

However, as a professional graphic designer, I would be more than happy to freely contribute any artwork or illustration needed for the DVDs. This would be my pleasure to work on. Artwork costs will therefore be £ zero. (There are probably other designers out there who have made the same offer, but I would still like to offer my own contribution, if only by coming up with a few rough visuals at the preliminary stages, or offering suggestions of improvement on another designer's work.)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Okay, that's worth keeping in mind.
GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

Oh and I also should mention I've done quite a bit of interactive/on-screen design and can produce animated DVD menus should they be required, so that's another thing that won't cost the project a penny. One thing I can't help with at all is restoring/enhancing the original video and sound quality (I know very little about colour correction, time base correction, etc.). I would imagine some enhancement work would be required to bring the episodes to life again after 20 years.
DB2K10
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DB2K10 »

I would 100% love to see this idea take off! DVD's will not last too long as so much of the entertainment world is going digital... I think alongside the dvd's an online digital download of the Knightmare series would work and add to sales.
I am a massive knighmare fan and watched it everyday as a kid after school. Have youtubed it as much as possible to bring back the memories and often spoke of the series with my mrs and own kids!
Hope this does take off good luck.
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldarion »

Absolutely in favour. But you've brought up an issue that I need to rant about.

Those people who say "DVD's dead - it's all going digital" are forgetting something - digital copies of audio/video things have to be kept either on a PC or a recordable disc - both of which have a lifespan of very few years.
Every time a format is declared "obsolete" - like VHS or audio cassettes - they (the corporations who think they own/control everything) are insulting all and sundry by robbing us of our memories, the influences that made us who we are.
The fact remains: people want physical copies of audio/video things which will last decades rather than years - and we are entitled to have them.

The "preserve vinyl LPs" cult has been successful - vinyl LPs are now the only format that is gaining currency, not losing it. Which should inspire and motivate us.
The "preserve VHS"/"preserve audio cassettes" cults are still too small, and growing too slowly, as people haven't yet realised the threat to their collections posed by the recent all-too-short-lived recording media. They need to gain ground and become as powerful as the "preserve vinyl" cult.

It makes me sick to think that there's a necessity for a "preserve DVD" cult already. Why do you think Blu Ray hasn't really taken off - it's because we're still repairing the damage done to our collections by the phasing out of VHS. And they (the corporations) should be fn well compensating us for this damage - we shouldn't let them plot their next insult-the-public scheme.
tiggy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by tiggy »

Hi Aldarion

I understand where you're coming from but I think that digital distribution/downloads/whatever you want to call them present an opportunity to get this fan project off the ground. When an official release of Knightmare was first being talked about, VHS was still the dominant video format - how times have changed!
The fact remains: people want physical copies of audio/video things which will last decades rather than years - and we are entitled to have them.
I agree to an extent. What your average home user hasn't quite grasped the concept of is the need for regular back-ups of your data which will ensure longevity. Overcome this by using "the cloud" or having your own server and the problem goes away and people feel more comfortable with digital copies of everything. I'll admit that this is some way off though.
You mention Blu-Ray - personally I will not be replacing my DVD collection but I will buy Blu-Rays for new releases. Quite simply, if it hasn't been filmed in HD then the remastering efforts are variable to say the least and I don't see the value in upgrading. The benefits were clear with the leap from VHS to DVD - better sound and picture quality, scene selection, extras, subtitles, different languages, watch on the computer, and no need to rewind and fast-forward. The only advantages that Blu-Ray offers over DVD is potentially better sound and picture quality. VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray will all get blown out of the water when the entire country gets 20 meg minimum broadband connections which would enable streaming and fast downloading of HD content. Again, that's some way off though...

Cheers,
Tiggy
theshak06
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by theshak06 »

I would definitely buy them!
scarletharlot
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by scarletharlot »

I would get one for me and buy another as a present for a friend! Do it:)
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

If anyone doesn't already know T.Bag series 1 is now availiable legally and has four more releases planned for 2011. It's worth looking into how they acheived their aims and what we can learn from them.
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldarion »

But, for gord's sake, "cloud computing" is an intolerable infringement of privacy!!