Legal Knightmare DVDs

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by hindleyite »

Boom! Since I can't find out how to edit my previous comment, here's a direct link to the blog post I made this morning.

http://retroyakking.today.com/2009/10/0 ... d-release/

I just reminisce briefly over the show and talk about how it may or may not be relevant to a modern audience. Nothing too fancy. I'm also gonna post an update on Sunday should I remember to do so.
tiggy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by tiggy »

Hello

I think that I last posted here some six years ago and in the meantime my user ID was cancelled! I'm back now re-registered with the same one.
First up, I fully support a commercial DVD release and legal downloads, and I'll buy both if released. I've joined the Facebook group that stands at 177 members today and mailed contacts who might be interested or could be persuaded. However, I think that anyone who is banking on a definite release is setting themselves up for a fall. Please try and see this posting as realistic and not pessimistic and don't shoot me for what I'm about to say - Knightmare's original outing finished nearly 15 years ago now and the people still talking about it on this website are pretty hardcore, and I mean that as a compliment by the way. But things have moved on - Knightmare is no longer shown on TV as the Challenge rights have ended and those that campaigned for the channel to purchase the rights to show every series did a fantastic job but I think that was the best that we were going to get - I just think that too much time has passed and the interest that would have been there ten years ago, or perhaps even five has now dwindled. It's a real shame that Facebook and Twitter didn't exist back then as they would have massively helped our cause, but now I think that it's too late. Given the target audience, the original viewers are now aged somewhere between 26 and 38, so well into adulthood with the priorities and responsibilities that it entails. Many of us will not have the time and energy to "take to the streets" on this and so the best you'll get is what I've done. The majority won't even do that - as a nation, our worst trait is apathy.

At it's peak, Knightmare had 2M viewers but out of these, how many still remember the programme? How many had more than a passing interest? How many would care enough to buy a download/DVD? How many have found this website? How many would actively campaign for a release? The number gets smaller with each question answered. I don't believe that either the Challenge repeats or a possible download/DVD release will bring in those new to Knightmare in any significant number so we're just left with the old school (like me ;) ). In addition, if a commercial (profitable) DVD release was worthwhile, it would have happened by now.

I've been a bit downbeat but I'll try and leave on a positive note - the only way that I can see the campaign working is to get it a higher profile. If anybody has access to someone in the public eye who is a potential influencer, we need to get them on board - their Twitter or Facebook postings could make a huge difference as people are more likely to listen.
I hope that I'm proven wrong and we get our DVD release.

Cheers,
Tiggy
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

Did you read any of the previous posts in this thread? I think Mystara has been consistently realistic.

There are plenty of shows that have been off the air for years and have made it to dvd, I think part of the problem with Knightmare is its gameshow type nature makes it not obviously suitable for dvd release. you can't watch one episode in isolation and expect to follow it and there isn't a beginning middle and end per se, even if you watch a whole season - it just rolls on until they run out of time. And while an old episode of say Dungeons and Dragons the cartoon or the 1960s Batman can be enjoyed on more or less the same levels they were intended for when originally made, Knightmare was cutting edge at the time but is kind of an oddity now
PGoomba
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Att: Fidjit

Post by PGoomba »

I'm putting together a promo vid for KM DVD, going on the specs Mystera has given thus far. I really like the logos you put together.
Would you mind if I used them, and if so, what name do you want me to credit you as?

Thanks

Paul
PKB
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PKB »

I take it from reading the posts here that this idea is not going to come to pass? If not, then I'm giving in and I'm going to invest in a DVD set from Ebay. I don't have Challenge TV and the last time I saw Knightware was when it was on the telly and I visited the studios. I miss the show and really do want to see it again so if, from the looks of it, this project to get Knightmare to DVD has flopped, then finally I'm going to nab myself a DVD set from Ebay.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The project hasn't yet started.
As I said in my original post, we'll make a formal gauge of interest when the new site goes live.
PKB
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PKB »

Mystara wrote:...we'll make a formal gauge of interest when the new site goes live.
Thanks. Ok, I've waited this long, I'll wait some more. Would really like to get official Knightmare DVD's.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

I am extremely excited by the idea of this :green:
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Greystagg »

I'm ridiculously excited by this idea and would be happy to pay for downloads (would prefer DVDs, of course). All of my friends remember this show with some fondness - not that translates into guaranteed sales, but I think it could easily be marketed to go well with the current retro/nostalgia trend. And hopefully tap into the market of people in their 20s/30s who watched Knightmare as children and now have disposable income. ;)

Good luck with it! :)
Brother_Mace
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Brother_Mace »

Greetings all,
It's been a while since I was last on this site, but fret no longer Brother Mace is back!!!

I read with great interest each and every post regarding the campaign to bring the legendary show that is "Knightmare" to DVD. I currently own each series 1-8 on DVD (recorded directly from Challenge TV and thanks to the editing suite in the media department at Uni entirely free from adverts of any kind).

I was just wondering if there were plans to add any 'extras' as a further incentive for individuals to purchase it. I know after the 1st episode of series 3 shown on Challenge there was a brief 3 minute documentary with both Tim Child and Treguard (like a knob I got a bit too enthusiastic with my editing and deleted it) but it would be cool to see that on there too, as well as any form of behind the scenes or maybe interviews with cast members - I'm sure if they're aware of the cause they'll be happy to help out, also former contestants it'd be cool to hear their experiences too on camera.

These are just mere suggestions of course if the project goes ahead, I'm sure they'll be fellow fans who would be interested in this too. But I want to offer you my full support in this and I would definately make a purchase - extras or not. Cheers for reading this (apologies if I waffled on a bit).
randomnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by randomnut »

You can count on purchases from me (not just for me but for gifts as well) and from several or my friends as soon as they're available.
Terrahawk
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Terrahawk »

Yep i'd definately be interested, but only if all 8 series are released.
spectra117
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by spectra117 »

yes, i love to buy all 8 seasons on dvd. You got my vote.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

We seem to have had a resurgence of interest in the recent days. Awesome. Where did you find out about this, chaps?
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I was just wondering that, myself.
Wherever it is, it's proving valuable!