ps2 game

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
spunge_bob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

ps2 game

Post by spunge_bob »

oh my god sony should make a knight mare game i dont know about you guys but id buy it 8)
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: ps2 game

Post by DavidNewton »

There's already been an attempt to make a Knightmare game (on the Amiga) - it was awful. Like Eye of the Beholder, but with the added feature that you got hurt if you walked into a wall. There was also a Spectrum version, but I haven't played it.

I've always said that a Knightmare game would never work because the advisors didn't have direct control over the dungeoneer, and they had to work together. Working together with a computer would be next to impossible even with today's AI.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Spoo
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Spoo »

Working together with another person across the Internet would be a different matter though...
Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
Spoo
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Spoo »

Obviously this wouldn't work very well at all on consoles :D
Last edited by Spoo on 24 Jan 2003, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
thrifty_squirrels

Post by thrifty_squirrels »

i think a playstation game of knightmare would be cool! The amiga is a piece of junk so no wonder it was crap all amigagames are crap but at the time they were revolutionary just like at the time of the spectrum it was revolutionary but now you play the spectrum and its like impossible to operate and really suckmongous and really primitive graphics and the time to load? by the time it has loaded you have fallen asleep or even died! and even then it may not function grrrrrr although hunchback still continues to move my soul to insanity grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr arghhh angry hunchback grrrrr
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

i have it on my c64, i cant get it to load anymore  :(

But if i can remember didnt u have to give that old guy some food? and then useing the spade to dig out of the next room?
what i found stupid was if u ever went back into a room u got killed by them stupid ghosts, it was so hard, pluss i never got the questions right when asked by that wall monster
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
thrifty_squirrels

Post by thrifty_squirrels »

argh!!!!!! wall monsters!!!!!!! FALSEHOOD!!!!!!!!(squinting of the eyes)
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

The Knightmare game could work in the same format as Deathtrap Dungeon on ps1

(Deathtrap was wan excellent role playing gamebook written by Ian Livingstone who turned it into a computer game almost 15 years later)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

I remember that. Got the book, along with about 30 other Fighting Fantasies.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well... I have a load of Fighting Fantasies, along with Deathtrap Dungeon.

Anyway, I *have* played the Amiga version of the Knightmare game. It's really not much good at all, has nothing to do with Knightmare.

I say a Knightmare game on Gamecube. Not that I have a Gamecube, but...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Why Gamecube specifically, then? Because it's more powerful than PS2 but not as "corporate" as the X-Box?
imy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

ps2? why not PC?

Post by imy »

ps2 isnt good, i think maybe the best way would put it on for PC. With Microphones compatible to the pc it is possible to use the mic to direct a AI dungeoneer (even though it would be hard to program). I thought that before you start for controls you say a certain word such as sidestep left and that is store, so when playing the game if you say 'sidestep left' then the AI will sidestep left. It sounds complex but its the only real way to experience how Knightmare felt for the lucky people who actually got to go into the dungeon.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Good in theory, but you're right in saying that the AI would be difficult to program.

Think about it - The main problem would be that you can't direct the computer directly. I don't mean "fingers on controls" directly, but the way that the computer would interpret your commands - it would have to randomly stop and ask for confirmation, or misunderstand you. This would prove frustrating rather than anything else.

We need to take huge steps in AI before even beginning to start a genuine Knightmare game... but there's nothing to stop Knightmare-themed games from being made.
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fan »

I think it would be great to have a Knightmare PS2 game.  In todays graphics and etc, a Knightmare game would be excellent to play.  
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It'd be great to see a KM game done properly. The previous Amiga and 8-bit attempts weren't very well received- in the case of the 8-bit version, it was just plain rubbish, I thought. If a new series happens and is successful, there's a possibility a new game might be made, as well as the possibility of books, board games and the like. Fingers crossed.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]