Re:Knightmare Cluedo

For all the comedians out there.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Knightmare Monopoly!

Post by Malefact »

What kinds of properties, game cards, player counters etc. would you like to see in a Knightmare-themed version of Monopoly?

For example, the red strip could consist of: The Crazed Heifer, Wolfenden Central, Scaramonger's Market

And one of the counters could be the original Helmet of Justice.

Over to you! :)

The original game's details, including the board, can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_(game)

(P.S. This is not to say that there actually will be a Km-based Monopoly... this is just for fun. :))
Subject to change.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare Monopoly!

Post by HStorm »

The counters would have to be both helmets, an eye-shield, a reach wand and a knapsack, goes without saying. Maybe some of the quest objects to round things off with.

Places; the railway stations should be replaced with mine cart rides.

Whenever you pass the dungeon antechamber, the player gets 20 gold sovereigns.

The Income Tax and Super Tax squares should be an ambush by Skarkill, or Lillith demanding a toll.
Last edited by HStorm on 17 Jan 2006, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Madmogsue
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Madmogsue »

*waves hand*

ooh ooh i already made one... :P
Kupo? kupopo?!?
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

The purple pair, naturally, should be Dunshelm and Knightmare Castle. The green, Mount Fear, Goth and Marblehead. Income Tax and Super Tax, "Boatman Demands Gold/Silver". The stations, the Dunswater Ferry, Smirkenorff, the Descender and the Well.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

All nice ideas so far. :) Maybe, if enough ideas are suggested, there could be a vote as to what the properties etc. should finally be used and a (non-profit, just-for-fun - stay back, lawsuits!) version made accordingly, perhaps in the form of a program?

Here's an idea - the jail could be Mogdred's playpen!
Subject to change.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The Angel Islington should become the Pixie Pixelton or something like that. Old Kent Road can be Hordriss' chamber, the Old Mage Room, sort of. (Sorry for all the puns, but it's a way of making things fit.)

How about Ariadne's web replacing the prison? "Go to Ariadne's lair. Go directly to Ariadne's lair. Do not pass the dungeon antechamber. Do not pick up 20 gold sovereigns."

Community chest can have spells in it, and Chance cards don't need to change at all.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Malefact wrote: Here's an idea - the jail could be Mogdred's playpen!
I was thinking along the line of the chance card that says go to jail...
"Go to the troll pens, do not pass go, do not collect a gold bar."
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

HStorm wrote:
Community chest can have spells in it, and Chance cards don't need to change at all.
Or you could replace them with "Scroll" cards and "Spyglass" cards...
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Instead of 1st prize at a beauty contest, there could have things like 'Most Warty Witch' or 'Most Scaly Mireman' contests.

Instead of £10, the prize could be a free pint at the Crazed Heffer.

I would incorporate spell cards into the game as well.

For instance, you could have a spell card tht reduces the other players money to zero, or a FREZE spell that makes all the other players miss two goes. A SPEED spell could be used so the player automatically goes rould the board twice, that way getting twice the pass go amount.

You could also have a Spyglass element, which would make the other players tell you what property the were planning on buying, or certainlty what their next move or two would be.

Knightmare Monopoly, wouldn't it be great?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Naitch wrote:You could also have a Spyglass element, which would make the other players tell you what property the were planning on buying, or certainlty what their next move or two would be.
A nice idea, and very KM, but it wouldn't work in practise as there's nothing to stop the other players from lying.
Fury
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Fury »

Computer program sounds good, if there's someone thinks they can write it!

I know there are blank 'create your own' Monopoly sets out there, but I have no idea where to get them.

Anyway, on the subject of how to do it - I've spent a while thinking about how to do this, and Drassil/David kindly reminded me of the game of Monopoly played in S8 (see http://ikm.ezri.mine.nu/index.php?page= ... ew&EID=208 for the Lexicon entry). This is what I've come up with:

Pieces
I rather like HStorm's idea of using for the playing pieces the two Helmets of Justice, The Knapsack, the Eyeshield, and the Reach Wand. I'd be inclined to suggest the Spyglass as the sixth piece for this set.
Alternative ideas might be a Quest Objects set (Shield, Sword, Cup, Crown, Talisman, and.. uhh.. Maid...), a set based around characters (jester's stick for Motley/Folly, manacles for Skarkill, ale mug for Brother Mace/Sylvester Hands), miscellaneous dungeon items (bar of gold, gauntlet, dagger, rolled-up scroll, lamp, pie, mysterious locked box, etc), or some mixture of all of the above.

For the buildings, I'd suggest houses keeping the same general design but being called hostelries (as per S8 Monopoly), and making hotels into little crenalated towers or keeps.

Money I think is pretty universally just numbers on paper, but if we want to give the currency a name, I'd suggest the 'gold bars' used in S8 Monopoly, or else simply 'gold'.

Board
Hard to know how to do this.. I think perhaps the nicest thing to do would be to try and keep the locations in roughly the kind of order they would appear in quests, so that each trip around the board is like a journey through the levels. Obviously some Knightmare locations move around somewhat, but that just gives us more flexibility! Also some of the more special squares may not be easy to fit in.

Go: As I see it, this simply has to be the Dungeon antechamber, as HStorm suggested.

Income Tax/Super Tax: The aforementioned tolls and bribes sound good for these. Can't think of any better examples right now myself, though.

Stations: Since these are about travel, it'd seem like a good idea to stick with that theme for our KM version. Thanatos's suggestion of Dunswater Ferry, Smirkenorff, Descender and Well fit this nicely, however the fact that there can only be four stations means that other inter-level transport methods don't get a look in at all. Personally I'd be inclined to include the Minecart and leave Smirky, spells, short cuts and the like for movement-related Chance and Community Chest cards.
Alternatively, we might elect to make these four of the wall monsters.

Jail: My suggestion would be to make this Mount Fear or the Tower of Goth, with fines for release replaced by ransoms. The 'Just Visiting' strip would become 'Just Spying', and the Go To Jail space could become Captured!

Utilities: Hmm, well, they're important, there are two of them, and holding both is good. These could become the gateways between levels, if that's not too much of a clash with the transport idea for the stations, alternatively it could be the taverns, The Crazed Heifer and The Dirty Duck. The Goblin Pens mentioned in S8 Monopoly sound to me like they'd more likely be a utility than anything else, so they're another possibility. Failing that, we could use Linghorm and Marblehead, although I'd prefer to see these as regular properties.

Free Parking: A square where nothing happens, but nothing can get you. Could be renamed Temporal Disruption, or be a tavern (if they're not used already), or.. umm.. Dwarf Tunnels. Well no-one ever died in those.

(continued in next post because of max. post length limits)
Dungeons don't kill people; advisors do.
Fury
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Fury »

Properties: I'll include alternate version for some of these, since some places, whilst more evocative of the Dungeon, simply aren't the kind of places anyone really could build housing..

Brown strip (Old Kent Road, Whitechapel Road)
Kitchen, Lillith's Domain
Alternative version: Horngarth, Lillith's Domain (I'm presuming that it extends beyond that little chasm area)

Light blue strip (The Angel Islington, Euston Road, Pentonville Road)
Wolfglade, Wolfenden High Street, Wolfenden Market Square

Pink strip (Pall Mall, Whitehall, Northumberland Avenue)
Rocks of Bruin, Vale of Vanburn, Ruins of Dungarth

Orange strip (Bow Street, Malborough Street, Vine Street)
Great Corridor of the Catacombs, Raven's Perch, Merlin's Room
Alternative version: Great Rift of Angar, Witchhaven Outskirts, Inner Witchhaven

Red strip (Strand, Fleet Street, Trafalgar Square)
Witchhaven Outskirts, Central Witchhaven, Greystagg's Palace
Alternative version: Greenshades Meadows, Greenshades Farm, Dunkley Eaves

Yellow strip (Leicester Square, Coventry Street, Piccadilly)
Dunkley Wood, Ariadne's Lair, Dunswater Shore
Alternative version: Dunkley Wood, Ariadne Glades, Dunswater Shore

Green strip (Regent Street, Oxford Street, Bond Street)
Winteria, Cavernwight Catacombs, Vale of Mogdred
Alternative version: Winteria Ruins, Winteria Fields, Vale of Mogdred

Dark blue strip (Park Lane, Mayfair)
Linghorm, Marblehead

As for Chance and Community Chest cards, I'm not sure how we should do those. Do we want to keep the same effects, and just come up with replacement text? Do we want themes for each deck? (I never did figure out if there were supposed to be themes running through the decks in regular Monopoly.) If we're going to be keeping to the same game effects, is there a list of what the cards do anywhere online?
Dungeons don't kill people; advisors do.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I like the fact that those strips are vaguely themed as it is.

Some Chance and Community Chest cards are (in)famous, such as "you have won second prize in a beauty competition, collect £10", and of course the "go to jail..." one. If I had more time I could probably recall more of them - I used to be an addict!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

The "Go!" square could be Knightmare Castle or the Antechamber.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Re: A nice idea, and very KM, but it wouldn't work in practise as there's nothing to stop the other players from lying.

Great idea about the board design.

To stop the other players lying,if using the spyglass element, maybe halve the players could play for the Powers That Be, and the other half could play for the Oppostition.

Whether you trust the other players, and whether they tell you the truth is up to you

No different than say giving Skarkill something to let you go, or Elita taking the gem of you and running away without helping you

However, if you were playing for the Powers That Be, you wouldn't what to bring such dishounor to the Quest by lying would you?

Remember, Cheats and fools never prosper in Knightmare Castle...