Blackpool or Whitby

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.

Which of the two events should occur in Easter 2016? (The other event will occur in Summer 2016)

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2015, 08:45

Whitby
70%
Blackpool
30%

Total votes: 10

Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Blackpool or Whitby

Post by Mystara »

Yo,

A few people have pointed out that attempting to run two meetups in such close proximity to each other is likely to go wrong.

On reflection, I agree.

Therefore I propose organising one meetup for the Easter and the other meetup (whichever it is) for the summer.

We therefore put it to you, Knightmare community. Which of the two proposed meetups should occur next Easter, with the other event occurring in the summer?

Blackpool
or
Whitby
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Blackpool or Whitby

Post by Gundrada »

Tough call, but just for somewhere different, and you have Pleasure Beach and other more Summery things to do in Blackpool, and places where you'd get more out of it with good weather - I voted Whitby for Spring.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I voted Blackpool for the nostalgia of RPG filming at that time. Blackpool always has plenty to do and Whitby might be more restricted at that time of year.
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Greystagg »

Happy with either but definitely prefer Whitby. :)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

This is a difficult choice as I'm not overly keen on either of those places - however, given the choice I'd go for Whitby.

I've actually been to Whitby and found that there is very little to do there, although I did only spend a day in Whitby so maybe I wasn't aware of all the things people say there are. There's also only one - ONE! - shop that cooks chips in anything other than animal fat.

ONE!

Ahem. Anyway.

Blackpool. Most of the KM socials have been in Blackpool for a number of reasons, such as Pleasure Beachiness, but I'm not averse to returning there once more. It's just... always in Blackpool! ::)

Whatever's decided, I'll go on at least one KM Social trip next year. I haven't been on any for ages due to financial constraints; I'll endeavour to make that happen next year.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Just to remind everyone....

The vote isn't for what you want to do. It's a vote for what you want to do IN EASTER.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Whitby for Spring Bpool for summer, butwork pending and job pending really
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Would it not be possible to arrange a meet-up in Weston Super Mare, could just about commit to that :-/ . Been to Blackpool but the last time would be 30 + years and can't comment on Whitby as never visited.

Voted for Blackpool for summer and Whitby for Spring. Just feel the latter may be better suited to earlier in the year while such a recognised and famous resort like Blackpool would be ideal for the summer months. Bit skeptical about a meet-up thing as hardly know anybody on here and haven't participated much either and could feel a bit awkward but maybe with enough time, and at a later date, would be able to participate.
Forester
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Forester »

Regarding Whitby... It's mainly a sight-seeing type place, there isn't a whole lot in the way of entertainments it's definitely a make-your-own fun job. An ideal setting though for getting into role play and related games. There are lots of attractions etc. in areas around Whitby but that would then rely upon us having sufficient transport amongst us.

Whitby is a fantastic location for the Midnight Hunt, LARP and Roleplay games generally. I'd also recommend group bookings in the YHA, it has good lounge facilities and therefore would be a good gathering point.

Regarding food...
Northerners have taste when it comes to Chips, many places in the North of England use animal fat because it tastes significantly better. For the vast majority of non-discriminatory consumers this is a good thing. If your diet is limited solely to fried potatoes then you may wish to ensure you also consume plenty of milk and oatmeal in order to prevent a vitamin D & E deficiency.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I don't mind the idea of Whitby - it's good to mix things up now and again. That's nothing against Blackpool, but (York aside) it has become the default option in recent years.

I'm hoping to make my first trip to Asia next Easter, so I will have to hope that everything times itself well.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Only a few more days and Whitby is currently in the lead!

If you haven't yet voted, please do so.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

EvelynMason wrote:Bit skeptical about a meet-up thing as hardly know anybody on here and haven't participated much either and could feel a bit awkward but maybe with enough time, and at a later date, would be able to participate.
Hi, Evelyn. It's fair to say that this is how a lot of members of the Knightmare community have felt before their first in-person get-together. But most will tell you that it is well worth taking a leap of faith. I am one such person and as a more recent example, I would point to Alex Smith: before, after. You'll be placing yourself among a range of witty, friendly faces with a major shared interest, who will gladly dilute anyone else's social awkwardness with their own. ;) The note of optimism in your post is pleasing and we look forward to meeting you when the time is right.

I don't think I need to say which way I voted. I've never been to Blackpool or Whitby so it's win-win from my point of view.

I do hope that the Midnight Hunt will be something more exciting than The Quest for Chips Prepared A Particular Way. Though for the record, I enjoy Chips with snake oil. (Catchphrase reference.)
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Have to ask, What does the Midnight Hunt entail ?

Obviously it's something you look for at 12 am .. but what is it they seek - and at why such an odd hour ?

As before, been many a long year since a visit to Blackpool, but it'll be similar to any large and recognized seaside resort such as Brighton, Bournemouth or Southend, and if the Hunt was held on a weekend then there's every chance you could bump into a few individuals 'fuelled by alcohol' and spoiling things, especially at the time suggested.

Maybe I'm being too cautious or fearing something out there, but Yes, I will consider future events.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I suppose it's best described as a treasure hunt/live action role playing game.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Whitby it is!
The discussion for the Whitby/Midnight Hunt meetup has been re-opened.

We will therefore plan to do Blackpool in the summer of 2016.