"The road to Hell and back" - Halloween 2010

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: "The road to Hell and back" - Halloween 2010

Post by Kieran »

Snowcat wrote:
Forester wrote:Just checked Tulley's Farm dates the proper page doesn't yet say anything still but the Job Vacancies page says it's from Oct 22nd - 31st.
Thanks for that. For safeties sake We'll make Tulleys the Saturday then. :)
Means the Thursday can be nice and relaxed as we go cross country (about 170 miles depending on the route taken) and hopefully James and others can get involved as well.

As already mentioned, I'd prefer to do the larger themeparks during the working week. It'll hopefully make things a little quieter. Being knee deep in Neds and Chavs isn't my idea of fun...

Meh... I'd edit the original post again but the board won't let me! :-[
I'll edit the post for you based on this info.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Many Thanks.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Forester wrote:Just checked Tulley's Farm dates the proper page doesn't yet say anything still but the Job Vacancies page says it's from Oct 22nd - 31st.
Dates have now been officially announced.

http://www.halloweenattractions.co.uk/s ... .php?id=19

James? Strike? Y'still game for Tulleys farm?

(Sorry for the double post)
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Yes I am still up for it, you still doing Saturday still?
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

If we're going for Saturday (23rd) then definitely yes.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

OK... About a month and a bit before the fun begins and here's what I'm aware of :-

Full trip - Wed 20th to Sat 23rd October
Snowcat (Myself)
Forester
Kieran (?)

Alton Towers Only - Wed 20th October
Dark Comet (Possibly more depending on Uni, finances, etc)

Tulleys Farm Only - Sat 23rd October
Strike
JamesA

Unknowns
Mystara (I'm happy to offer a lift South. :) You'll need transport back however as I'm not heading straight home after this.)

This is everyone I've heard from so far. A definate Yes or No please ASAP from those wavering then We can start getting the little details sorted.

Who needs picked up from where?
Who's needing Accomodation and Where? (In the interests of keeping the group together.)
Not forgetting, of course, we still need to buy the tickets! Hopefully making use of whatever offers we can find since there's now a small group.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

For me, it'll depend on whether I get a job or not.
It's quite possible that I'll have one within a month and a half. In which case, I'll be there.

I guess we'll need to wait and see :)
NeilJones
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by NeilJones »

I've been seriously thinking about this since I first saw the thread but I thought I'd wait and see not on the basis of who's going but how much interest there would be. I seem to have a want to jump on every social bandwagon going at the moment. Which worries me slightly but it probably means I have to get out more even if it is on the other side of the country to a farm in the middle of nowhere.

What's happening with this now may I ask?
What about accommodation for the Saturday night? According to the site this event finishes at 11pm. Which is, like, late.
What sort of costs on average would we be looking at for everything roughly?
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Hiya Neil :) *Chuckles* If it's any consolation, I'm travelling from the other END of the country!

S'far as I'm concerned this is still going ahead as it's the one proper holiday I get from work each year. Hopefully with a group along but on my own if it all comes down to it!

Hotels haven't been looked at yet since there's several people I've been talking to that have said "Ask me again nearer the time". It's now a lot nearer the time so I'm starting to get a bit nervous about how many people will be coming. If all goes well we'll likely have a group of about 6 max.

There are plenty hotels, Travelodges, Premier Inns and of course the Perennial YHA to choose from if needs be. I've tended to use the Travelodges in the past (worked for the company years ago so I know them reasonably well). However, these are admittedly not the cheapest option unless we get lucky with one of their half price room deals or suchlike. Prices usually range ~£50 per Room per Night depending on which one we go to. I suspect we can do a little cheaper than that after a little checking around though. ;)

As for the parks etc, the links in the original post are about as up to date as we can get :-

Alton Towers (Note the 2 outside mazes, Carnival of screams and the Boiler House, carry an extra charge. ~£12 for the pair if bought on park). There's more than a few offers out there to be had. Some of which are already linked further up the thread.

Thorpe Park currently has a "2 for 1" offer which would work out @ £20 per head. Damn good going but we better move fast as the offer finishes on 1st Oct.

Tulleys Farm. Forester's suggested we get the Early season "Scream Pass" (£18) which would get us in, then a single ride around everything. Apparently there isn't quite enough time to do multiple rides on each attraction unless we get lucky with short queues etc.

As mentioned already, the "organisation" of this is pretty loose and freeform to the point of people largely sorting themselves. It's the easiest way considering the multiple venues and all the different availabilities that everyone has. If folks are needing transport from/to a train station or suchlike then I'm sure we can organise a lift or two within reason.

Still thinking about it after reading all that? :D
NeilJones
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by NeilJones »

I should have said in my previous post that I may only be able to do the Saturday. That's what you get for writing on forums after bedtime.
Therefore Alton Towers and Thorpe Park isn't going to happen because as much as I would love to simply drop everything and go tootling around the country with you all, a little thing called "work" gets in the way, and unfortunately it's kind of essential if I want to be able to fund this escapade.

Accommodation wise I would therefore only need one night (Saturday night) as I don't plan on driving back home after 11pm in a tired state because those motorways are dangerous if you fall asleep while driving along them, plus I've been bought up to be more sensible than that.

I seriously want to say "Yes" here and now. Work may have other ideas. We shall see. I'll know tomorrow or Tuesday.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

WHOOPS! 8-o

Just realised that the current "2 for 1" offer for tickets @ Thorpe Park finishes on Friday coming! (1st October)

I've bought my own, meaning there's a spare slot if needed (1 ticket can enter 2 adults).

Sorry to pester folks but, for those wishing to come to Thorpe Park, it may be worth heading over to the website quickly or we get our heads together and figure out who's with who so we don't buy more than we need.

http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/tickets.aspx?tabnum=4

Thanks again
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Okay, it looks like I'm not going to make it.

However, on the plus side I'm moving south and now have a job. So future meetups should pose less of a challenge (work permitting).
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Who is still thinking of attending Shocktoberfest? As still possible for me!
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Yes, there's still a bunch of us going. :)

Planning on being there from the 5pm opening onwards.

Keep an eye out for White Tigers! ;)
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

If only I had not accepted a match ticket to see Brighton win and go six clear at top.

Sorry guys, hope it was still fun. Financial constraints stopped me going at last minute.