Knightmare Discussion Forum Convention

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:K.M.D.F Meeting

Post by TheBrollachan »

I think a lot of things would depend upon where it would or could be held. Myself whilst I have a driving licence I don't have a car (slight problem), which means I have to rely on public transport.

For example... London has reasonable public transport, but would people who live in Yorkshire be prepared to travel such distance? (I'm not certain what the train links are like)

;)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Emii, I think Kully would be great for a convention, you can come as Pickles' sister if that's where her character stands as... :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

If you cannot get hold of a PA system... ...just use Elita. ;)
(no offense to Elita fans)
Last edited by TheBrollachan on 07 Sep 2004, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Can I suggest that if anything is organised, profits go to charity? A children's charity, since Knightmare itself made a positive difference in many children's lives.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I can think of one of them...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

My views on the subject are, anything that can allow a large amount of the community to meet up for some form of event that would not cost a huge sum of money is always a good thing. However a venue to hold such an event is likely to be expensive, assuming we get a fair few people and if we don't then is it going to be anything special other than a few people meeting up, it that's all it is then that's been happening for ages.

If it is going to be a big convention style then it's going to have to have an entry cost to cover the cost of the venue, for people to pay an entry cost there needs to be some big selling points. Obviously meeting people from the forums is one such point, but with time then you can go out and meet anyone willing to see you without an entry cost. Things like some widescreen TVs or projectors showing Knightmare series, or the VR pilot sequence or even the RPG would be selling points. Perhaps some Knightmare merchandise, though there isn't a lot of it.

Tables with the boardgame would be good, if a few people could bring it & have several games going. Or using a roleplay system such as Dungeons & Dragons then a Knightmare scenario could be made for people to play. Possibly even some Live Action Roleplaying All of these would take some organising of course but it'd be worth it for a big convention & if it's successful it could become a yearly event.

Obviously the manpower required to organise this would be a fair amount, a suitable venue would need to be found & booked and some method of buying tickets arranged. With pre-registration being important so the organiseres can get an idea of the numbers they're likely to have on their hand. If tickets could be issued by post then that would avoid those who pre-register from having to queue for ages.

It will be difficult, with Knightmare fans dotted around everywhere, to find a venue that suits everyone perfectly but I am sure that any big venue would be close to rail & coach links. Providing the travel & entry costs are not too high then I would say the idea has real promise, with someone with good skills working on it then it could go far. As Kieran has volunteered then I think there's no need to worry about it being in good hands :)

As an afterthought, the idea of giving any profits to a childrens charity sounds like a wonderful idea. I apologise for ranting on so much also, just wanted to detail my views & ideas all at once rather than disjointedly.
Last edited by Lord_Bob on 07 Sep 2004, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

A charity would be great!
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

I think it was Emii who asked if anyone had been to a convention...I've been to one, the 'Voyager Returns' convention (Yes yes ok, a Star Trek one then ;D) about three years ago, and I have to say, it was one of the best days ever! It was held at the Norbreck hotel in Blackpool, and was fantastic. There were talks and autographs from the actors, photo sessions with them, dealer tables, and stuff in the evenings like fancy dress competitions, and discos. I'd have to say, one of the main attractions to conventions (besides meeting loads of cool fans of course ;)) is meeting the stars of the show. Would it be possible to persuade Treguard and Pickle (whose real names embarassingly escape me at this moment) to come and give talks and sign autographs?? And any of the other characters too...I think if a few could come, it could be a really successful con :) Venue would be something of a problem, but I don't think you'd need somewhere as big and expensive as where traditional cons are held, because the fan base wouldn't be as big (at Voyager returns there were literally thousands of people)
I think it's a really good idea, if enough people would be interested in going, and if it was viable cost-wise, it could really work :)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

If the new series is commissioned, a big Km fan event would be a good publicity exercise, imo, in much the same way that the presence of an online fanbase has had a little bit of influence in all things BBK. Canny timing would be a big help, I think. :)
Subject to change.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

If some members can arrange the KMRPG every year with little hassle, I believe if everyone was willing to help sort it out a huge convention could be very doable!

Children's charity - definately. That's a wonderful idea!

Members of the original cast and crew...I don't see the harm in asking them if they would like to attend and do some autographing :) There are at least a couple who still work with youth groups and, if they have the time, may be happy to join us!

Kieran - give us a shout if you decide to organise, I'd be happy to lend a helping hand!

I could go as Kully, but I think she's more of a kin to Pickle as a sister. Hmmmm. She's come a long way over the past, what...two years? :)
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Maybe people from the KMRPG could come as their RPG characters (okay, that's me not wanting to spend loads on a new costume... ;))

A charity would be good. Definitely. But if we were charging an entrance fee, a lot of it would go towards funding the cost of hiring the place, appearance fees for celebrities and so on... ;D

I think it's a good idea, but the takings should go 50/50, really.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I doubt any decent profit will come of this, or at least it is not exactly designed to. Anything that does come of it, however, should go to some good causes (adding to the 5 I already give to each month!).
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I think for any charity any proceeds given to them is decent :) I'd like it to be a children's charity, for the reasons people have stated before.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
MagicMiranda
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by MagicMiranda »

Well if something is/can be arranged I'd love to go and if you want help I'd be more than happy to offer any help that I can. :D

The idea for the charity is great. :)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time you are given." From Lord Of The Rings
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I suggested in KM chat tonight (and a couple of people quite liked the idea) that we all submit our fave classical pieces and there could be one room used as a ballroom - and everyone who wants to dance in costume and, if they like, in character!

I like all the classical pieces used on the Battle Royale OST, and Drassil mentioned the pieces in A Clockwork Orange...