Fan art: "2012"

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Fan art: "2012"

Post by Insider »

Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: 2012

Post by Pooka »

May I be the first to ask...

What?
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Wow! Exciting, intriguing... Many questions that do not even need asking.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It's just fan art. Impressive looking fan art, but fan art nonetheless.

I'm debating moving it to the fan art forum and renaming the title to something a little less suggestive, but I'm waiting to see if the original poster is going to add anything.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Welcome to the forum, Insider. New Knightmare fanart is hard to come by these days, and you've presented a gorgeous, optimistic image. You also have a better grasp of the comma than TShirts365. ;)

However, the significance of the address and logo in the bottom right corner is unclear, as there's nothing about Knightmare on the CITV website at the moment. Also, having been given hints before from the ultimate insider of future KM stirrings that have come to nothing, I for one am wary of false hope.

In short, you've got the attention of us outsiders, so please will you give us at least enough real information to prove that something is actually, definitely happening?
Last edited by Drassil on 18 Jul 2011, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of typing error.
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Insider »

Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fan art: "2012"

Post by Mystara »

Nice second image.

I've moved this topic to a more appropriate location ("fan creations") and renamed it to something that indicates what the post is about.
Fury
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Fury »

Great couple of images there, Insider. Would love to see more if there are any!
Dungeons don't kill people; advisors do.
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Insider »

JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Just for clarification purposes, really. Apologies for not posting this sooner....

Upon seeing the first image, I took the step of visiting the citv.co.uk website (as indicated on the bottom right hand corner of the image) and using the e-mail addresses within the "Contact" section, directed them to this very forum topic and asked whether these images were genuinely associated with them. Here is their response on the matter:

Dear James,

Thanks for your recent email regarding Knightmare.

As part of our heritage of past shows, CITV is proud to be associated with Knightmare, and pleased that it resonates with fans so many years after it ended.

Unfortunately, despite some pretty convincing images, we have no plans to bring the show back at this moment in time.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV Viewer Services.

Kind regards

ITV Viewer Services

Its also worth pointing out that afterwards I soon realised the first image has used a fairly generic dungeon background which has been on the internet for the quite a few years.... I only remembered becaused I once attempted to use that same background myself! Click here to see the original background for yourselves.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

As I mentioned before, it's definitely fan art.

I've also used the first two images for AegisQuest stuff. I have to admit at never having seen the third image before, though. A little prodding in photoshop also reveals that the quest objects in the second image were added in "post production" for lack of a better expression. My complements to the designer, however, on matching up the perspective.

There were other clues, and I sent a couple of feelers out, which came back negative. Hence my original assertion that it was just fan art. However, since the author hadn't directly said that Knightmare was returning, I thought it was best to interpret the images as hopeful fan art :)

Of course....

Despite everything that myself and James have said, there does remain the infinitesimally small chance that Knightmare IS returning to CITV and it's just being kept quiet. Or that someone is planning to pitch a project that will be Knightmare-like.
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Insider »

Ok guys, I guess the game is up, and I suppose I best introduce myself!
My name is Neil, I am a 26 year old graphic designer and have been a huge Knightmare fan since I was a kid.
Of course what you've seen is indeed 'fan art'. In the past I have done numerous promotional work for various TV shows and films and I always thought it would be cool to do something for Knightmare, in this case promoting the '25th Anniversary return'. This work was never meant to trick or deceive, I hope you guys just enjoy it for what it is, fantasy fan-created art, we all live in hope after all! :)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

That was pretty much how I had interpreted it.

As someone who dabbles in image editing, I have to say that the images are impressive.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Hi Neil,

Now that we know who you are, and that you've officially declared your own work as fan art - may I also commend you on using some original dungeon images and converting them to superb Knightmarish effect. We could definitely use more of these for the 25th anniversary next year, so if you would like to do others, then we'd defnitely be interested in seeing them.

Perhaps you could do one with the words "2012: Knightmare's 25th anniversary" or something similar. That would almost certainly be a fantastic promotional tool.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Insider wrote:This work was never meant to trick or deceive
And yet a number of us were misled. It's understandable that you would want an air of mystery accompanying your work, but you could at least have messaged the forum Admins and/or Moderators to let them know what was really going on - especially once three had noted their interest and one of those three had politely asked you to provide details, only to be ignored. I admire your artwork but really feel that you could have gone about this better. In my opinion, you shouldn't have waited for the 'game' to be 'up' because there needn't have been a game in the first place. After all, we're a community of fans, not an audience of children at a magic show. :)

I notice that you put a video on YouTube in which you claim that your first piece 'appeared on the CITV website in June 2011'. If you know that to be untrue, are you not deceiving people by saying it?