KM Universe - cartographers needed

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: KM Universe - cartographers needed

Post by HStorm »

Very good.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Excellent map!

It does make me think about the issue of dungeon dimensions though. In my head, everything on this map is actually within Knightmare Castle. Does anyone know the official position on this or is it just wildly inconsistent.

The S7 troll for example - infiltrates KM castle but then falls down through level three which is in Goth...?

Regardless, great map!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Perhaps the castle should be in the centre?

Moving around the dungeon and surrounds was done using portals, hence one minutes your in dungeon or woods and next on a boat or something.

The troll came up through he dungeon beneath the castle but when fell back he must have fell through a few portals.

The dungeon must be behind the whole of the town/woods than just beneath the castle itself.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Great stuff, you did a good job!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

That the troll fell through portals is a reasonable explanation given the 'logic' of the dungeon. But it's not a satisfying one - I get the feeling the producers were trying to show the troll plummeting down through the levels of the dungeon rather than just portalling here and there.

And isn't KM Castle in the north of England? Are all the other places supposed to be there too or is the castle a gateway to this other world?

No doubt this has been discussed to death somewhere on the forum so if someone knows where please let me know!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well it's like the Red Dragon that was sent, the never flew across the landscape, it looked like it was in a different dimension heading towards a portal. But once shot it fell on top of Lord fears castle... one would have thought the dragon was no where near it. lol

Knightmare castle is in Norfolk, according to the first book.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I need to dig out the books - think they're in my parents garage!

Im sure I remember it being called a 'grim, northern keep' though. I suppose everything's relative!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yes, Dunshelm is supposed to be a border fortress constructed at the command of William II ('Rufus') to defend the north from Scots marauders, such as McGrew and presumably Gibbet (and a recruitment point for Saxon warriors who might rebel against the Norman aristocracy if they didn't have battles against 'outsiders' to keep them occupied).

That does appear to have been the notion that the early seasons of Knightmare more or less adhered to, and the idea was that the dungeoneers from the modern world were explicitly travelling into the past.

From about season 4 onwards though, the series seemed very gradually to divorce itself from that concept, though without admitting it. The idea was slowly replaced with the notion that the Knightmare universe is not in any specific timezone as such, but exists in a reality 'below' our own - whatever that means. This was why, when Dicken's team won their quest, Merlin was able to say, "Nothing like this has happened since 1988!" which would have been a very weird thing to say in previous seasons, if the series were set in the early 13th Century, as had been implied. So from about that point, dungeoneers were not travelling into the past as such, but dimension-jumping. And that also meant that Dunshelm could be almost anywhere, in almost any reality, and any timezone.

For my own part, I still feel the earlier notion needs acknowledging, and that it's perfectly possible to assume that the future 'lies above' the past, when thinking fourth-dimensionally. (Nod of thanks to Doc Emmett L Brown there.) This, in case anyone was wondering, is why the audio plays always make very specific, very contemporary references to early-13th Century England.

Ultimately though, the 'world below our own' references can mean almost anything you want them to mean. Which is why no map could ever be definitive, even from an official source.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
johnamendall
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by johnamendall »

HobGoblin wrote:That the troll fell through portals is a reasonable explanation given the 'logic' of the dungeon. But it's not a satisfying one - I get the feeling the producers were trying to show the troll plummeting down through the levels of the dungeon rather than just portalling here and there.
The Brollachan also says that it's been asked to build a 'shaft' (having first ascertained what a 'shaft' is) from Goth up to Knightmare Castle, which does suggest that the one is vertically below the other.

Then in Series 8 there's the matter of the Great Mire, which I'm sure was said to be hundreds of miles across, and manages to be located underneath two more or less conventional dungeon levels.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well if Km Castle is up top and load fear below and the dungeon inbetween.
T

I'm also sure Folly called it an 'underworld' at some point in the tv series,, possibility a episode which aired recently. Which makes sense really.

And as the dungeon is all magic, originally conceived by Mogdred (at least the wizard in the book meets his description) the dungeon wont have a logical structure, always shape shifting, portals to and from different works being opened and closed.

I'm reminded a little of the show Trapdoor, in which the trap door under the castle lead to the swamp outside the castle.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Knice!

Now we just need to relaunch the Knightmare gamebooks in a more Fighting Fantasy style and we're SORE-TED!