Knightmare on Challenge at teatime

Discussion of the repeats of Knightmare on the satellite channel Challenge?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Knightmare on Challenge at teatime

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:Just seen a Facebook comment from Challenge, saying the morning repeats get "much better" ratings than Friday night, and that they "will also try it in a tea time slot" where they expect it to do well.
And as of yesterday, the Knightmare teatime try-out has commenced! Assuming they continue showing a Knightmare episode every weekday until they exhaust their supply, this should continue until late November. Its viewing figures may well determine whether or not Challenge 'budget' for more Knightmare next year.

I seem to recall a tweet in which Challenge said that they would consider a Knightmare marathon (i.e. consecutive showings across an entire morning, afternoon and evening) as they have done with other game shows. So if that happens, I look forward to seeing how it does.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Summer Boot Camp - weekday morning Knightmare

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Ahh it's on at half 4! I think maybe 5 or 6 would have been a better time to show it. At least it's being given a chance to gain good viewing figures and I do believe it well do well. Figures crossed!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare on Challenge at teatime

Post by Canadanne »

pjmlfc05 wrote:Ahh it's on at half 4! I think maybe 5 or 6 would have been a better time to show it.
Yes, I thought they would stick it on a bit later so that people catch it as they're getting home from work. I guess they're aiming for the after-school slot instead!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote:
pjmlfc05 wrote:Ahh it's on at half 4! I think maybe 5 or 6 would have been a better time to show it.
Yes, I thought they would stick it on a bit later so that people catch it as they're getting home from work. I guess they're aiming for the after-school slot instead!
Oh yes! Quite near the timeslot back in the day! I do finish work at 4 most days so it will be like re-living my youth, rushing to get back home from school just in time to watch Knightmare! The only problem being my Daughter watching Peppa Pig!! :)
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Seems all very last minute, shame it isn't 5-30 or 6 as there's such poor scheduling on tv now it would probably fair well in ratings
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well I wont be watching it again, I can't watch the same episodes over and over, it will be another 5 years before series 1 and 2 fell fresh again to view. :-/
Although I might just turn in and see if I can boot ratings.. if that works lol
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

That's a real shame, in my opinion. Late Friday night worked an absolute treat for me, and maintained the same kind of charm in adulthood that the early evening slot did in childhood. In fact, the timing meant that watching was able to become a communal event on multiple occasions during this latest run.

I'm glad if the morning repeats have done well, because we all want a future generation to subscribe to what an influential show it has been to all of us. Though I hope Challenge recognize that viewing figures do not tell the whole story. I've never been a Twitter fan, but I've quite enjoyed the (often adult themed) social media repartee driven by the after-dark repeats. I imagine the impact of the Knightmare Live online campaign procured its strongest outreach at this time as well.

Repeating at teatime only is carving a niche as family only, to the exclusion of the addicts who are unable to watch because we're at work. And yes, we could record it, etc. But that's not the point. I've seen them all so many times. What's new, and engaging, is watching live, and contributing to that legitimate watching public in a way that rips and YouTube have never offered.

A lot is lost when the after dark repeats are culled. Sad day.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

KaM wrote:That's a real shame, in my opinion. Late Friday night worked an absolute treat for me, and maintained the same kind of charm in adulthood that the early evening slot did in childhood. In fact, the timing meant that watching was able to become a communal event on multiple occasions during this latest run.

I'm glad if the morning repeats have done well, because we all want a future generation to subscribe to what an influential show it has been to all of us. Though I hope Challenge recognize that viewing figures do not tell the whole story. I've never been a Twitter fan, but I've quite enjoyed the (often adult themed) social media repartee driven by the after-dark repeats. I imagine the impact of the Knightmare Live online campaign procured its strongest outreach at this time as well.

Repeating at teatime only is carving a niche as family only, to the exclusion of the addicts who are unable to watch because we're at work. And yes, we could record it, etc. But that's not the point. I've seen them all so many times. What's new, and engaging, is watching live, and contributing to that legitimate watching public in a way that rips and YouTube have never offered.

A lot is lost when the after dark repeats are culled. Sad day.
I disagree. With the new timeslot there is potential for a higher viewing audience. Showing it at half ten at night on a friday I thought was strange. It works better as a family show and I think the viewing figures will be better than the figures Friday night showings received.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

But it's no good if many of us can't watch the early showing.
I wouldn't want to sit though them all again just yet anyway so i'm quite happy for them to move around and pick up new viewers who weren't able to catch the later viewing.

I just hope they keep the evening slot for future episodes, and then move them around afterwards. Anything before 10pm and I can't watch it, and I don't have the means to record either.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

I did like the Saturday morning slot. It meant that I could watch with my three year old son, who has become quite a fan as a result :)

I could easily get nostalgic over the teatime slot. However, it will be going out at a time when most of those who might get nostalgic about it will be at work. Six o'clock would have been better.
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

wombstar wrote:Well I wont be watching it again, I can't watch the same episodes over and over, it will be another 5 years before series 1 and 2 fell fresh again to view. :-/
Although I might just turn in and see if I can boot ratings.. if that works lol
Does anyone know if that does work? How do they work out viewing figures? Apparently in the 70s they used to survey people and ask them what they had watched. Is it all done electronically now with someone just able to read the amount of TV sets tuned into a channel at a particular time?
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

TimeMaster wrote:
wombstar wrote:Although I might just turn in and see if I can boot ratings.. if that works lol
Does anyone know if that does work? How do they work out viewing figures?
About 5,000 homes have a box on top of the TV set that records which programmes they watch. If you're not in one of these participating households, unfortunately you can make no difference to the ratings.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:But it's no good if many of us can't watch the early showing.
I wouldn't want to sit though them all again just yet anyway so i'm quite happy for them to move around and pick up new viewers who weren't able to catch the later viewing.

I just hope they keep the evening slot for future episodes, and then move them around afterwards. Anything before 10pm and I can't watch it, and I don't have the means to record either.
The best chance of more series being shown is good viewing figures. There is more chance of that when Knightmare is being shown at it's present timeslot of half 4. Apparently the viewing figures dipped during the half 10 timeslot which of course is not ideal if we want more episodes to be shown.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I don't know how it works but if there isn't a limit on how many times they can show an episode then there is no reason it can't air morning, afternoon and evening. I can only catch evening slots (or 7pm at a push) I don't get home from work until gone 6.

Also, you say the ratings weren't as good in the half 10.. well you don't know that, and apparently neither does Challenge because apparently only a handful of homes are recorded. There for my turning in was not counted.

But if you're watching though a sky box they can see what you're tuning into. I dunno if that effects viewing figures.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:I don't know how it works but if there isn't a limit on how many times they can show an episode then there is no reason it can't air morning, afternoon and evening. I can only catch evening slots (or 7pm at a push) I don't get home from work until gone 6.

Also, you say the ratings weren't as good in the half 10.. well you don't know that, and apparently neither does Challenge because apparently only a handful of homes are recorded. There for my turning in was not counted.

But if you're watching though a sky box they can see what you're tuning into. I dunno if that effects viewing figures.
What I said was the viewing figures dipped, not they weren't as good. It was noted earlier in this thread that Challenge mentioned the morning repeats got better ratings.