First new Knightmare VR Test pic

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Anton
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: First new Knightmare VR Test pic

Post by Anton »

I was just about to post more or less what malefact just said, but he did it for me!
If this 'new' Knightmare had simply appeared as series 9 a year after series 8, we wouldn't have questioned it. Yes, some might have been disappointed, or excited or unsure or whatever but it would simply have been seen as the next progression.
All the new series needs is a few familiar faces (albeit in the new animated form). I wonder what actors / actresses would still be up for it? Once these have been secured AND the series has been comissioned it is as if it has never been away!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

If this 'new' Knightmare had simply appeared as series 9 a year after series 8, we wouldn't have questioned it. Yes, some might have been disappointed, or excited or unsure or whatever but it would simply have been seen as the next progression.
I think that's a good point to make. And we're obviously all anxious for it to be successful. However, as I hinted in a previous post, I think it might be fair of us to let the team run with their ideas for now and not worry too much about specifics. Okay, the old-fashioned helmet would be nice. But I'd rather let them work out the main format of the thing first. We've seen one picture; perhaps it might be wise to wait until we've seen more of what they intend this to be before we suggest too many specific changes. People have mentioned the life force face. Again, yes, it would be lovely to see it again, but what if life force isn't really a feature now? Why then include something superfluous when they could work on other new and exciting things instead that really add to the game?

It is really difficult to know how to react to the little snippets we're getting. I think when we first heard KM might return, we almost got too excited and certainly got ahead of ourselves in listing all the things that just must play a part in it. Some people even went so far as to suggest any changes at all would be folly. (No pun intended.) I think we should give Tim Child and Televirtual scope to work out what they want it to be. It's their project, and any direction it has must be driven by them. I'm not saying we shouldn't make suggestions. I just think on the other thread about the possible new series we perhaps pushed our advice too far, and we should avoid sounding like we're making demands.

I remember reading an old post someone wrote a day before we got the news about the reformat. I intended to reply with something like: "In fairness, I don't think Knightmare will never come back...". Of course, the next day it seemed the impossible might indeed happen, and I was glad I'd not written those words. But in a way, I was right all along. Knightmare as it was, precisely as it appeared back in the good old days, won't be returning to our screens in a new series. Things have to move on. Let's give Tim Child and Co. credit for their bold move in taking a cherished institution and bringing it up to date, and not try to imprison them and it with our preconceptions about what Knightmare must include.

Just to note, this isn't really an attack on any posts in this thread. There are some great ideas here that the reformat may or may not make possible and/or desirable. Just a statement to hopefully warn off posts like ones that started to appear in the other thread. And yes, I for one hold my hands up and say I was originally over-conservative on this issue. Let's just not try to make these creative people stick solely to ideas of ten years ago. They showed then they could come up with wonderful new innovations (and yes, a few that didn't work so well). I think we should be confident they can do it again.

It may seem a huge cliche, but:

The only way is onward. There is no turning back.

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It looks pretty much how I expected it to look.  I imagine it will be KM for the year 2002, meaning VR without a doubt, and it to look KM'ish, and it does.

I *think* we are on to a very good thing here.

Once S9 is broadcast, and it is successful, we get another 8 seasons of it afterwards! (or more!)

But I am impressed by the looks of that pic, it has the KM feel to it.

Cant wait for me piccies :)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

The future looks promising  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
PERSAUD
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by PERSAUD »

Nice one illusion!!! If there was to be a new 9th series of knightmare these new innovations would be more than welcomed! It does look impressive the new VR test picture. Keep us updated! ;D :D
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

Don't agonise too much about posting opinions and comments as Knightmare VR develops. We're allowing you access to the development phase because your  frank views are genuinely welcome.
That doesn't mean all suggestions will be adopted, because sometimes they may cause conflicts - with each other - or with technical and editorial issues which we are forced to address.

We don't  want to overburden this site with uploads, and so a new Knightmare VR development page is now active on the Televirtual site as

Knightmare news page -
www.televirtual.com/news2.htm
I'm sure that Nick will repost this as a valid link

Please feel free to comment on anything you see there.
You'll find us trying out various dress codes for the new avatar-dungeoneers, and logos to see how well they work in dark and dangerous scenes. The first moving picture tests will also be posted from there.

Meanwhile, a very merry Christmas  to all of you from us!
play the endgame and play only to win
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Don't agonise too much about posting opinions and comments as Knightmare VR develops. We're allowing you access to the development phase because your  frank views are genuinely welcome.
That doesn't mean all suggestions will be adopted, because sometimes they may cause conflicts - with each other - or with technical and editorial issues which we are forced to address.

We don't  want to overburden this site with uploads, and so a new Knightmare VR development page is now active on the Televirtual site as

Knightmare news page -
www.televirtual.com/news2.htm
I'm sure that Nick will repost this as a valid link

Please feel free to comment on anything you see there.
You'll find us trying out various dress codes for the new avatar-dungeoneers, and logos to see how well they work in dark and dangerous scenes. The first moving picture tests will also be posted from there.

Meanwhile, a very merry Christmas  to all of you from us!
Who on earth are you if you don't mind me asking?
:-/
James Aukett
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Good work with the news update however - just checked it out  ;D
James Aukett
Gaminguy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gaminguy »

The dungeoneer doesn't have to be blinded in order for tension to be built up, does it?
I personlly think that keeping in tune with the tension and the original KM, the helmet sould have horns and cover the guys eyes, basicly look like the one from series 1-6! ;D
Gaminguy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gaminguy »

Also I would like to ask, is this programme in question actually called 'Knightmare' or somthing else? :)
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

The forum poster 'beveryafraid' is Tim Child, if you were wondering.  :)
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The forum poster 'beveryafraid' is Tim Child, if you were wondering.  :)
Ah, makes sense. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I wonder just how many people will now check, like I just did, what his other post was. ;)

Now he's unmasked, would five forum stars and a spiffy title be appropriate? ;)
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Yesssss! How very cool! Welcome to the forum Tim!  ;D

Just had a thought, considering the new KM is aimed at (around) the same audience as it was before, how would we have felt if when KM was first shown, about the dungeoneer being able to see? Think back to when we first started watching Knightmare and it was totally new to us, would this have really made a difference considering we had never seen it before?

Now bear in mind that most kids today would have never seen the original Knightmare, so they would perhaps consider it a necessity to be able to see, in the same way that they would probably be expecting full VR because they are now brought up on a diet of realistic graphics in computer games. But because the graphics weren't as good back then, I don't think we had the same expectations.

Part of the magic of Knightmare was the fact that the dungeoneer couldn't see and that s/he relied heavily on the advisors and I totally agree with that. But surely we have to consider that the new Knightmare has to cater for the demands of this generation of kids, but in turn also keep us old diehards happy as well? I guess its a case of striking a balance between the two...if thats possible! It may be a little different to how we remember it, but at the end of the day its still Knightmare!
Does anyone agree, or am I just talking nonsense? :-/
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Just checked the news update with the pictures. It looks really good. There's a spelling mistake towards the end of the last paragraph of text that might want adjusting. Currently it says upsdate, or something like that.

I liked the (new?) design for the dungeoneer's outfit. Is that a "K" (as in Knightmare) on it? I preferred that to the plain old chainy type mail. Just one thought: it might be best not to make the design on the 'shirt' too complicated, or it'll draw the eye to it a little too much.

On the helmet, I don't care too much about the horns. It seems to be decided that (at least usually) the dungeoneer can see, which has implications for the shape. On the horns themselves, well, they might take a bit of explaining to a new audience. In the old version we didn't see the dungeoneer face-on that much. Now I guess we will, and the horned look might look slightly odd from the front, especially since we can see the kidsie's face.  

Just my two cents. :)