New Software helps to rekindle Knightmare

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Illusion
Knight
Knight

New Software helps to rekindle Knightmare

Post by Illusion »

BROADCAST - Feb 21 2003

The maker of 1980s kids adventure show Knightmare is developing new software to bring the show back as a live interactive virtual reality dungeon adventure show, writes SAM ESPENSEN.

Devised by Televirtual's Tim Child, the original show pioneered blue-screen technology involving blindfolding a'dungeoneer' and sending him into a blue screen studio.The player would then 'walk' around a hand drawn cromakey dungeon.The new version will feature virtual reality and avatar (3d cloning) technology.

Mixed reality shows are costly, Child said, because they combine the most expensive elements  - studios, real people and interactive computerised environments. So Child has been developing a RAP (realtime animated pipeline), a PC-based system that allows several characters to interact with each other and dispense with the need for a studio. Child is surprisingly not looking for a commission for the new Knightmare because he said, right issues surrounding the original meant that: 'it made 17 million quid and everyone got a big drink except us. I'm not saying if someone comes to me I won't do it.'

'We believe there's a worldwide market for this show, but everyone's waiting for everyone else to show them the way and we think the only way to slash through the Gordian Knot is to start putting together the system ourselves.'

Child added that steering clear of kids channels means he won't have 'characterised animation forced on us. Perhaps we won't be customising some of this content to the market we want to address, but we want to do something deep, dark, dirty and full of dangerous things.'
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: New Software helps to rekindle Knightmare

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

17 million. wow.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well! At least this means that they have no intention of dumbing down. Keep it NASTY! As in series 1/2/3/4 nasty!

Bless me, but this is getting quite exciting!  :D
Subject to change.
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

New Lissard treament on the development page.
Incidently - surprised none of you eagle eyed types spotted La Grimwold hosting the TimeGate pilot. I always thought you could clock Tom Carrol's beak in sandstorm.......

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

wootage!
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

You're kidding! That was Tom Carrol?! That's marvellous! It must have been great to work with him again. Talk about keeping it in the family!  ;D

I like the new graphic, btw. Very creepy! Does that mean you'd like Cliff Barry to come back as well?
Subject to change.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

I cannot find this development page >_< Somehow I find it difficult to find stuff on Televirtual's website...
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

PS And I always thought it was "Tom Karol"  ???
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It's at http://www.televirtual.com/news2.htm

Psst! Jericho! Don't argue!!  :)
Last edited by Malefact on 17 Mar 2003, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

For some reason I can't see the new picture. Sometimes it takes a while to update for some people. I'll look later. It's good news that there's a willingness to take the best bits from "old" KM and reuse them. (Oh dear, that makes Cliff Barry sound like a Sainsbury's shopping bag.) Also great to hear a Grimwold is on hand to guide TimeGate to success. ;)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I can hear it now!

"Time's almost up! I'll have to consult me rule book! Just as I thought! Just as I thought!"  ;D
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

He needs his fake nose. And to cackle more. And to say "dearie" after every other sentence. Otherwise I'm afraid (even after watching it again) I wouldn't have guessed it was him.

Perhaps also some barking noises for him to respond to.

Oh, and Lissard is pretty sinister looking.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

It is Karol (sorry Tom).
It's just that like many a prolific scriptwriter I tend to lapse into phonetic spelling pattern.
Of course, some would argue spelling is only critical when you're casting....
As for the family affair - it get's worse. The girl Holly is Tom's niece and the Avatar player is her brother Kosmo.
Development/experimental programming is a risky business - so I tend to work with talent I can trust.
Love the interactive story btw! I was very tempted to join in but couldn't take the pace.

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, in any case it's great to see Tom back! He must have enjoyed working with his family like that. Perhaps he could have a cameo in the new Knightmare reprising some of his old roles? (Providing he can still reach the dizzying vocal heights of Mrs G!)  :)

I'm so glad you like the Interactive Story! It IS a bit involved, isn't it? You could always write the epilogue if you like.

Anyway, I hope TimeGate gets commissioned soon - all this waiting is agonising! Thanks again for the new picture.
Subject to change.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Wow! I actually feel quite excited that something I started has caugtht he eye of BVA!!! Glad he realises there's a cracking bunch of authors on the board :P
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"