Treguard Avatar Pic

Post by Illusion »

You're on the edge of a ledge...
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Treguard Avatar Pic

Post by DavidNewton »

Looks more or less like the real thing. Nice!
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Was this a "just for fun" thing or can we take it to mean HM as Treguard is scheduled to feature in the new KM?
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Very nice! The nose is a bit arse though  :P
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It's an excellent graphic! One thing concerns me, though:

In the original series, the ante-chamber was "real" and the dungeon was "illusion". If both the dungeon and the ante-chamber are VR in the new series, it would be difficult for viewers to make the distinction. It might be better to have Treguard and the ante-chamber real.

Besides, looking at the Challenge interview stills, Hugo's got nothing to worry about - he looks fine. There'd be no problem with having him real.

P.S.: I wonder if Hugo has seen it himself yet? And I wonder what he thinks?
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I was thinking about these things too.

We don't even know if there will be an antechamber. If there were no advisors, it would almost be superfluous. Perhaps the thought is to have Treguard as a face in the wall giving advice. I suppose if there was an advisor, there would be more reason to have an antechamber, and I'd agree it being "real" would be advantageous. I suppose having a Treguard avatar would still be useful- having him occasionally appear as a face in the dungeon instead of having to cut back to the antechamber every time he needed to say something.

I guess the live format is also an issue. How potentially problematic would it be to continually cut between the VR and a real antechamber compared to having everything VR? I have no idea what the answer to that is.

I suppose one consideration is the dungeoneer entering the dungeon to start with. The TimeGate video has the nice piece of them jumping through into the virtual world, which both looks good and sets up the real/VR distinction well. That would probably be hard to do live, although you could always record that one part for each dungeoneer., I guess.

So many questions.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

There would have to be at least one advisor to keep an eye on the dungeoneer - and also so they can talk about what they intend to do, allowing the audience to keep up. With just a dungeoneer it would be mostly silence!

I agree about having a Treguard avatar just for in-vision mixing a la series 1/2/3 when an image of him appeared in the dungeon every now and then. It would be his "dungeon manifestation" or something - very good for continuity.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Looking at the related posts on other threads, it seems most likely they're thinking about having one advisor. The "silence" issue you mention if there were none is one I know I've mentioned before too.

For reference, I also dug up what Tim Child has said about Treguard/HM:

"...of course I'd like Hugo to be part of any revived show, but it won't be my say-so, and if it sits within a longer programming strand, then the existing hosts of that strand may host the inserted game. I don't know. One answer would be to clone our own Dungeon Master and insert him into the dungeon as a Help/Oracle. It also means Hugo could be just as he was in 1986. This would make him very happy - as it would me!"

If that still holds true, it backs up a lot we've been saying, and also shows another problem with a "real" Hugo introducing and such as opposed to an avatar Treguard within the game guiding the team.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 11 Feb 2003, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Personally, I can't see why Hugo can't appear as he is today. I think it would be wrong to try to have him as he was back in 1986. OK, so the revived show will be in the same style as series 1/2/3 but I don't think it's appropriate to try to replicate the feel of them. The feel should come of its own accord.

I think it's fine for this new series to be taking a step forward and backward simultaneously, as long as they are steps in the right direction.
Last edited by Malefact on 11 Feb 2003, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Subject to change.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Ever tried taking a step forward and backward at the same time? Most likely, you fall over. <¦-)

And my brother pointed out to me that the part where the game character in TimeGate jumps through the portal looks almost exactly like in Timesplitters 2.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Never seen it!  :D
Subject to change.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Yeah I like it, but then again I like HM and stuff... I think he should appear as he looks today... slightly gone to seed would suit Treguard, one suspects...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Charming!  :)
Subject to change.