Press Release from Televirtual

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Elessar
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Press Release from Televirtual

Post by Elessar »

Another thing:

As I said, we can all have a major influence on how Knightmare returns, if it does. The main ways we can do this are by:

1) Campaigning for channels to commission it (Challenge TV would be the obvious first choice, as they currently have the old series)
2) Giving Televirtual ALL our ideas
3) Contacting old actors to tell them. They won't find out any other way and then they mgiht contact Tim Child. Knightmare 9 would be much better if Hugo Myatt was in it.

The other thing is that it is planned to be a live TV event with home participation. If this is the case, where does www.knightmare.com stand? Could it strike a deal with Knightmare and remain Official and keep an active role in Knightmare? It certainly deserves to, I can guarantee that if it didn't exist Knightmare wouldn't be making a return.
MarkHemingway
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MarkHemingway »

If this new Knightmare goes ahead, there is a small dilemma over what channel and timeslot it should get.

If the show is directed at the 11-16 audience (just like the old Knightmare we all know and love!), then that rules out CITV and CBBC straight away, since they haven't catered for that age group since the mid-90s, with both preferring to concentrate on the 5-11 group.

And simultaineously it will be unsuitable for prime-time TV since the companies will dismiss it as 'a kids show with no relevance to today's adult audience.'

Either way, it looks at the moment that this project is not going to be on terrestrial, it may have to be consigned to Digital.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

(Challenge TV would be the obvious first choice, as they currently have the old series)
Challenge just have the rights to show Series 3 at the moment, as far as I know. And I'd doubt very much they'd be able to afford a new piece of programming like this. Their only really "new" programmes are cheap things they make themselves, really.

Yes, Mark, the timeslot could be a potential problem. But other shows that lie somewhere between the children's and adults' markets have managed. The 6pm-7pm timeslots on terrestrial might be a possibility. The Simpsons draws audiences from both groups. Robot Wars might be considered similar in age-focus.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Just a quick thought on the whole reformatting issue since I'm tired and the Brollachan is hungering:

Televirtual is a well run and successful company. The problems we've thought of for KM/TG are ones I'd hope they've envisaged too. I'd also hope they'd have given the reformatting some prior thought before announcing their intention to do it. So perhaps they've thought of some solutions. In any case, they're intelligent people. I doubt very much they'd fall into very basic traps. And Tim Child obviously cares a great deal for KM. I don't think he'd allow it to be completely warped beyond redemption or recognition.

Okay, there's my optimistic thought to balance the pessimistic ones earlier. :)
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 27 Nov 2002, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I personally think this is a good idea, sure KM is not 100% certainly going to be on again, even with this news, but the news is the best we have heard for 8 years.

As for new concepts, I like the idea of making a few changes, and to change a show that has been off TV for 8/9 years is hardly surprising, as I am sure Tim Child doesnt simply want to make KM as it was before for the fun of it, he wnats to experiement....he did it with KM in 1986, give him the same chance now.

As for Mark Knight, there is little chance of him coming here from USA (as I have said before), he'd probably have to get Tim Child to buy him a house over here or something :)  As for Hugo Myatt, lets hope so (but if not, I have played Treguard too, Tim ;))

Ahem!

Anyhow, I am looking forward to the news that will spill out over the next few months!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fan »

That's great news but there's one thing that I don't understand and that is will this new Knightmare be similar to the old series if it makes it to TV?
Last edited by Fan on 27 Nov 2002, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
Rainecloud
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rainecloud »

I'm speechless, but I'm not going to build my hopes up.

But, like everyone's already said, this is the best news that this site has had in years, so there is a glimmer of hope.

Adam, ring Hugo up and get him to dig out his series 2 costume ;)
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

And get him to spellcast Pickle back to Knightmare Castle too  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Something's just occurred to me. We have automatically assumed that just because the new format will involve avatars that will be able to see, the dungeoneer will also be able to see.

The dungeoneer can still be blindfolded. Besides, using an avatar would massively increase the different types of deaths  :D Imagine the Corridor of Blades in this new show - the dungeoneer would actually be decapitated!

Just because vision is now possible to all the characters, it doesn't mean that the dungeoneer will also have to be able to see. OK, so vision can be given when a suitable spell or potion is taken a la series 7 but to keep the show closer to its roots, the dungeoneer's own vision should be restricted.
Subject to change.
Davius
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Davius »

Well this is good Knews!

I have been watching Knightmare for many years and this is the most promising news we have had about it since it ceased transmission. I have never posted on this forum before but I have been reading it a long time and I though this news was something to comment on!

Of course, if the new show does go ahead, it probably won't be the same as the old Knightmare we all love and cherish, but hopefully it will be made to be very similar!

I know a lot of people may not like the idea of the 'blindfold' element being removed, but I think that it would probably make it seem more epic and immersive than ever before! As long as Televirtual attempt to stay true to the other important elements that Knightmare was made up of, then it should be pretty good!

I had a look at the Televirtual website, which has a lot of good information on their projects, including the 'RAP' system that was mentioned in the press release. The info can be seen in their news section at http://www.televirtual.com/news1.htm

Also, it is good news that Challenge TV have decided to show a re-run of Series 3 around Christmas. I wrote to them a while ago during the BBK campaign to ask if they would consider broadcasting the previous series' (their reply can be seen at http://knightmare.com/tes/responses.htm). I wonder if that made any difference.

I hope Televirtual are successful with this idea!

Davius.
Last edited by Davius on 27 Nov 2002, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
"When the time turns once more, and the fire burns as before, and the gauntlet is held down, then, will the age of Knightmare be found." -Treguard
Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fan »

It's good that they are interested about bringing Knightmare back to the screens again but I don't think they should make a lot of changes.  The old series was pretty good as it was.  I think they should make a new series similar to the old one and leave it at that.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

And get him to spellcast Pickle back to Knightmare Castle too  ;D
Never he can't, it's too difficult, Master.
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Okay, I have finally managed to read this press release cos my browser was playing up again (God damn you!! >:( )
Firstly, OH MY GOD! The fact that it has finally been admitted that it is a format change of KM, is fantastic, as I said it did look v KM in the first place. But I do have a couple of minor...okay I admit it, I personally think they are major points.

1. If the fact that Tim hasnt asked Hugo to be in it is because he doesnt want it to be seen as too KM when it says in the press release that it is indeed a re-format, why oh why is there no Treguard ???  ? You can't have KM without Hugo, he was the longest running character and personally I think that he was the epitome of Knightmare.

2. On the subject of the 11-16 audience, please please please let it be aimed at a young adult audience for around the 6-7pm slot.  There is a lack of RPG games catering for this age bracket, we no longer have the Crystal Maze, the only thing similar that I can think of is X-fire.
If it is aimed at the same audience as KM, well there goes our chance of appearing on it.
"There I say it, poo poo poo!!"

There, well my rant is over. I am pleased about the content of the press release, I'm just praying that Time Gate has the same charm as KM!
Last edited by Debz_g on 27 Nov 2002, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Good idea for a 6-7pm sot, the only other programme I can think of is Robot Wars  :)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

But as far as I know, we still don't know that TimeGate was just a cover for a knew Knightmare. Isn't there still the possibility they are separate entities?

In that case, TC not asking Hugo to be in it (TG) wouldn't really be too much of a problem, so long as he asks him to be in the knew KM.

Frankly, this topic is so confusing. Every time we come up with what we think is a fact, another ten questions emerge.

I was chatting with the Brollachan last night, and for once it had some insight. It too was long kept in the dark, but advised me that if you wait long enough, the information will come to you somehow. Although speculation is good, perhaps on many counts we too will just have to wait and see.

(And if any helmeted 13 year olds appear, threaten to eat them unless they tell you more about TG/Knew KM.)
;)