Knightmare VR

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare

Which channel do you think should/will show Knightmare VR?

BC ONE/CBBC
10%
BC TWO
45%
TV1/CiTV
25%
hannel 4
5%
ive
5%
tn
No votes
hallenage
10%
ther (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 20

KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare VR

Post by KFan »

Pooka wrote: I think it's more likely that a BBC channel will pick up KM-VR.

Maybe.

ITV have lost their chance, for a start, and they're the worst channel (I agree with Thanatos here - C5 are a lot better, they often show a movie at night which can often be classic, and they have Monkey Magic!). To C5's credit, I doubt they'd have anything against showing KM-VR, but they have basically no market for children's programmes and I think they'll stay that way.

That leaves Channel 4, which is (IMO) the best channel for KM-VR, as it caters for minority groups and slightly 'unusual' programmes, plus it's done children a great service in the past by showing some excellent kids' shows (Earthworm Jim!). Plus, it showed the 100 Greatest, which contained Knightmare.
But I don't think that C4 could really show KM-VR. They don't have a perfect slot to put it in, to be perfectly honest. And there are adverts.

Which is probably why I think BBC will snap it up as part of their kids' slot (maybe on a Saturday morning, maybe as part of afternoon/evening CBBC).

Of course, if it's put on a cable/digital channel, then I'll be really pissed off.
Agreed. If Challenge were to pick it up, KM-VR would be taken off before it had been given a chance. Or indeed any digital channel. The fact is, not everyone has digital TV at the moment for one reason or another.

Mind you, I can't see Tim Child approaching Challenge or most other digital channels anyway, they are hardly going to be able to pay Televirtual the amount they would be expecting for such a production; success or not.

I think, definately, BBC2 would be the best, and it seems that many people agree
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Knightmare VR

Post by KaM »

I'm not sure what the terrestrial discussion heeds, but I'd like to think that, with the greatest respect to Sky, a project this size, or perhaps of this potential size, would only be made with the intention of broadcasting it terrestrially - where the millions are. With a lottery grant required for the search engine and trying to rekindle a programme that held audiences of millions 10 years ago, it might appear to show lack of faith or ambition (which, regardless of the outcome, we know is there in abundance) if the new series was commissioned to a channel with a known limited audience. I think that most entertainment channels on Sky tend to be comprised of either repeats or time-trailing shows - but that's what they're wanted for, and good for, and there's no criticism implied because that works.

As for the terrestrial channel discussion: I think I really depends what category KM-VR will be attributed. For instance, if the idea was set for it to remain predominantly a children's show, then it is difficult to argue against grouping it into the standard chilldren's prime-time slots, on the likes of CBBC and CiTV - let's fact it - it certainly found its appeal for the original K.M. If it is to move up a notch, into that young adult/adolescent category that seems to have been the scapegoat excuse as to the original being axed, then I really don't know. I'm just glad that BVA knows the business and has plenty of knowledge about the industry & will hold faith that the best deal for this will be settled. 8)
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.