Bring Knightmare back, the original, not like VR...

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Bring Knightmare back, the original, not like VR...

Post by Raven »

VR can't call itself Knightmare, it hasn't got the three idiots that guide dungeoneers around, the helmet that stops them seeing, thats knightmare, not someone with a virtual reailty helmet who can see where they are going, thats what games consoles are for.
The Raven's Labyrinth - Where danger lurks around every corner...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Bring Knightmare back, the original, not like VR...

Post by HStorm »

Whether we like it or not, the old style game isn't going to work in the modern era. Modern kids would hoot with derision at the idea of someone with perfectly adequate eyesight trying to fight evil when blindfolded, especially looking at how slow, clumsy and stilted the action often looked in the cold light of day, and they just won't watch it. That's a problem that has to be addressed if the series is to have any chance of returning.

We've spent ages fighting to get the show back, and if this is the only way it's going to happen, then so be it.
Last edited by Anonymous on 18 Jun 2004, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It really is the only way we will get it back for 2004/05, really. Tech has moved on, so KM has to move with it. This is what we have campaigned and hoped for, so we're just gonna have to be happy about it.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Raven »

I know, but Its taking the goodness out of Knightmare, the original point of the show!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I disagree. There will be fundamental differences in gameplay, but the point of the show was to produce an adventure in a virtual reality environment. That's what KM VR will do just as much as the original.
Last edited by HStorm on 19 Jun 2004, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Casper Key wrote: I know, but Its taking the goodness out of Knightmare, the original point of the show!
It is a huge change, but a necessary one. I think you'll find many virtues from the new format, even if it has abandoned a few from the original. I am personally rather looking forward to it.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

Knightmare's makers prided themselves on their pioneering work. Doing exactly what has been done before wouldn't be the cutting-edge stuff it once was, even if it is excellent.

As it is, Knightmare is continuing its history of pioneering, never-done-before content, and surely that is a great thing. The new KM looks to be modern, exciting, and best of all - retro!
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Rainecloud
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rainecloud »

I'll be pleased regardless - as long as they keep some sort of groovy life-force clock. The one in series 1-5 was excellent, and should be updated and used for the new KM.

If it ever happens, that is...
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Casper Key wrote: VR can't call itself Knightmare, it hasn't got the three idiots that guide dungeoneers around, the helmet that stops them seeing, thats knightmare, not someone with a virtual reailty helmet who can see where they are going, thats what games consoles are for.
You are right, it is not the original Knightmare and it does not have those things, but things have to change. The fact is KM was 10 years ago and that technology is now totally outdated if not impossible to reproduce, even if it was redone then it would be laughed off air by the youth of today or even if it was aimed at adults apart from us die-hard fans it would pull in low viewing figures, it's a fact.

After all the favours, news updates and even allowing original series props to be sent to members that Tim Child has offered the community don't we at least owe it to him to give the show a chance, all we have at the moment is news and a few rudimentry video clips not a finished show ready for us to judge. KM fans wanted KM to come back and this is the way that makes it possible within the near future. There is no point is suddenly going 'well actually i don't want KM back like this' because that's a stupid attitude.

There are so many who have closed their minds to the concept and just mindlessly slag it off or complain before they've seen it, if you don't like the concept fine but at least watch the show and give it a chance! On IKM there has been a vote for 'will you watch VR if...' and the option 'I won't!'

Even if you do watch it with your mind dead set that it will be crap then you will not enjoy it, accept the fact it's not going to be the original series. Times have changed and technology has moved on whether or not we're happy about the fact. Remember it's still Tim Child at the helm, the man who created KM out of a few ideas and dreams, the man who kept the show going by keeping it original and with many format overhauls.

From S1-8 the show had changed a great, great deal and this will just be a slightly bigger leap. For Tim Child to have put time and effort into this because us fans wanted KM to return only to have the fans suddenly hate it and not want it anymore. Give it a chance people for the sake of everyone who has put faith & effort into this community and the show we all love.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Jayren wrote: I'll be pleased regardless - as long as they keep some sort of groovy life-force clock. The one in series 1-5 was excellent, and should be updated and used for the new KM.

If it ever happens, that is...
Moving on from the series 8 pie prehaps it will be a (fast food) burger - once all eaten you're dead.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Nice one! But seriously folks, do consider what I said above as I know I am not the only one annoyed by fans closing their minds on this.
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

I like the KMVR format, It changes alot from the orignal that was to slow.

Treguard and the advisors(If any) will be human while the dungoeneers (Once in the VR dungoen) and characters like Lord F will be CGI, characters appearances can be improved and appearances not made possible in the orignal can happen in VR.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Lord Fear wrote: I like the KMVR format, It changes alot from the orignal that was to slow.

Treguard and the advisors(If any) will be human while the dungoeneers (Once in the VR dungoen) and characters like Lord F will be CGI, characters appearances can be improved and appearances not made possible in the orignal can happen in VR.
I am not sure if it has been confirmed that Treguard will be in human form, he was in person at the demo, yes, but not sure about the actual show. However, I do consider it likely that he will be in human form.

As for advisors, in TC's latest forum update, he seemed to think having 2 advisors would be the best way to go.
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

Never. put 3 back in! the team will seem alone and too small
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Raven »

Im not saying I want poor graphics, just the helmet and 3 advisors, I wish they would raise the age to somewhere over 16 so i could enter