KNIGHTMARE VR

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Superspurs

KNIGHTMARE VR

Post by Superspurs »

Will someone explain to me exactly what this new KM VR thing is .
Will it be an actual continuation of KM itself (in other
words will the first series of KM VR actually be series 9)
or will it be a whole new program in itself like Virtually imposible for example.
Also (like a number of KM loyalists) i have to say the idea of having a dungeoneer that is not blindfolded is absolutely ridiculous. That was one of the things that made Km so entertaining- seeing panicking advisors screaming instructions at Dungeoneers.
ALSO when will it be shown on our screens. Could someone please get back to me on this.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:KNIGHTMARE VR

Post by Fidjit »

If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

http://www.talkknightmare.co.uk/yabbse/ ... eadid=1101

That thread will give you extra information on the general progression of the Knightmare VR project.

Nothing has been stated whether it will be S9 or KMVR S1, either way I am sure most will refer to it as S9 of KM. No date for transmission has been set, indeed it has yet to be commissioned as far as we know.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

I for one am considering the developing Knightmare series to be series 9. Sure, it's the beginning of a new era in KM's history, with marked changes (sight being one of them), but I don't think it will be completely independant of the original.
From what I've seen, the general principals of the original game seem to be well considered. Anyway, until a possible broadcasting, we won't know for sure!

If it is commissioned, surely only those that haven't seen the originals will consider it KMVR series 1.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

You're on the edge of a ledge...
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

A bit of a correction Fidjit, but you missed the r out of the addy.

http://www.televirtual.com/ the KM page is here http://www.televirtual.com/news2.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Jun 2004, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

The edited pilot for Knightmare VR is almost ready.

It is about 14 minutes long, and will be distributed to the Uk and overseas broadcasters on best quality DVD.

I would like to make it available toall of you as a keepsake, but currently cannot afford 400+ copies.
Also I don't have all your addresses, so would probably need something like an SAE?
Or perhaps we could circulate a master for copying?

A download would not be very satisfactory, although we are experimenting to achieve a good quality one at manageable size.

Any ideas out there?

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

With a good avi codec, you can get excellent (well, very good, anyway) quality half hour or so videos at 180-200MB at fairly high screen res. I think you could have perfectly watchable 15 minute videos at 75, possably able to push that down to 50...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

beveryafraid wrote: The edited pilot for Knightmare VR is almost ready.

It is about 14 minutes long, and will be distributed to the Uk and overseas broadcasters on best quality DVD.

I would like to make it available toall of you as a keepsake, but currently cannot afford 400+ copies.
Also I don't have all your addresses, so would probably need something like an SAE?
Or perhaps we could circulate a master for copying?

A download would not be very satisfactory, although we are experimenting to achieve a good quality one at manageable size.

Any ideas out there?

BVA

A circulation of the copy would be very handy, perhaps if 6 or 7 people were selected (who have DVD burning capabilities, preferably), those 6 or 7 could distribute with their base line costs, such as P&P and the cost of the DVDR covered?

Failing that it could be put up on one of the KM related websites. It is not the ideal situation, but is perhaps the easiest for circulation.

I could always talk with Forester about hosting it on the Interactive Knightmare site...
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Thanks very much for the update, bva. I, for one, am very excited at the prospect of being able to see what virtually amounts to a brand new episode of Km. :)

I think it ought to be available to download because not everyone has a DVD player (this was mentioned a few times during discussions about a DVD release for series 1-8).

For those who do have a DVD player, I think it's a great idea to have a few volunteers distribute copies of a master disc (on a non-profit basis, as certain previous ventures worked - just monies to cover the costs) as Mr. K. suggests.

Many thanks. :)
Subject to change.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Agreed - many thanks for this; a topic for which I am urged to pay what is these days a rare visit to the forum.

I think there are drawbacks to each alternative. Even cutting it down with a codec and hosting it; those with dial-up connections could really struggle.

The other aspect of this which isn't clear, is the extent of circulation. You mention that you would like it available to the regular KM forum members, which is a terrific gesture; but in terms of circulation, would you like any level of retention at all, or for it to be available to anyone?

Regarding one of Kieran's proposals, I have DVD burning facilities, and would be delighted and privileged to help out in any way. I do understand that there is a big issue of responsiblity here, so it is primarily at your disgression, sir. Hopefully a few grand figures here could vouch for my character, if need be.

Biggest statement is a big thank-you for considering us all with this great propsect.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I also wish to add that not many of us would feel any hesitation to pay a small fee for a sample of KMVR. That would be a definite way to raise Televirtual's budget!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

This certainly is good news and I look forward to seeing the finished product. As for Redmage's character, I can't think of a finer man for whose character I could vouch for. ;D
Carpe Diem - sieze the moment.
Forester
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Forester »

Directed at Tim C but obviously for anyone else to read and digest.

As already discussed codecs like Xvid (DivX requires a commercial license) could help bring the size of the file down to 110mb and yet still maintain the ultra-high quality.

I think still a lot of dial-up users would whine at such a large download and bandwidth doesn't always come cheap.

So distribution over the net could be done using a mechanism like BitTorrent or having a lot of Mirrors for the file.

Having said that I do think distribution by post would still be better. It is appreciated that DVD's or CD's aren't free and hundreds can escalate into many pounds. Also if demand is high it could become a full time job for one man.

So how about using the post distribution system and recruiting some trusted people from within the community who are willing to provide a service. To cover the cost people could send a blank DVD or CD with the SAE on which to burn the episode, alternatively provide say 20 or 50 pence coin (depending on either CD or DVD and cost of media at the time).

I think most people will agree that the few people who try to make a profit from Knightmare on eBay are scum for ripping people off and profiting from something that the rights of which don't belong to them. So having an authorised list of people wlling to serve the community should help keep tabs on that. Although it still wouldn't surprise me if someone who got a copy attempted to then sell it conning someone into thinking it's a one-off super secret copy.

If the above method of distribution were carried out I'd be willing to provide a management system for it over the web. People could enter their details into a form and then be assigned to one of the people providing copies. The person could indicate on the form if they'll be sending their own media or some small form of payment to cover media cost. Then the person they're assigned to can then post back a copy of the footage in the SAE, to help speed the process up they could stock a collection of the said CD's or DVD's and post one of the pre-burnt copies upon receipt of the SAE keeping the received blank to burn more onto. The system could also allow the distributors to then signal to someone that they've posted the copy so it also works as a type of order tracking system so at all times people know how long they've go to wait. Also the distributors could be assigned based on who has the current smallest number of requests thus performing load balancing.

Anyway, just a small personal request. As people know on IKM (Interactive Knightmare) there's a 'just-for-fun' caption competition being run. Along time ago when the very first series of it came to an end I offered a prize of a Knightmare Mug. It would be fantastic if say a screenshot of Knightmare VR be provided and then say you (Tim) be able to cast the deciding vote on the best Caption submitted (The public voting system has people that like to try and cheat, I spot them all the time) and then that person could receive a copy of the video say a week or two before anyone else. Just an idea.

Thanks,
Forester
Never test a mains lead with your tongue.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think that the copying-system has the most potential, as long as the work is spread out equally amongst the people willing to make the copies, and that costs are set as a standard from the get go so nobody can overcharge.

If one or 2 copies were sent out initially, it would reduce the cost for TC, and then those 2 people could send out copies to the other copiers, and then the process takes off from there, really.

I am willing to help, I hope at least 7 or 8 others are too, as we really need a lot of support for it to make sure 1 person is now overloaded.