Knightmare Reformat

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare Reformat

Post by SteveH »

Any idea whether the knightmare reformat will be shown on good old ITV or on digital channels? Also Is there any knews about whether any of the original actors will take part? (I heard they may do in timgate but i wasnt sure about the reformat)
Steve
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Reformat

Post by Kieran »

Nothing has been set in stone yet, but no actors that were in Knightmare have been approached by the production since I last heard.

TimeGate will be broadcast on the BBC, as C4 have dropped out of the arrangement.  Knightmare MIGHT follow that trend, but I dont have a clue about that right now.

I dont think there is any other news around, so as far as I know, that is how it stands.

TimeGate was MEANT to be shown LAST september in case people were wondering, however C4 pulled out.  The new Knightmare will probably NOT happen in 2003, I i'd imagine 2004 the likely year for it's return.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by SteveH »

The new timegate trailer looks good, although the whole plot seems a lot different to knightmare, get lots of money instead of retrieve the quest object.  But they never used the quest objects in knightmare i guess, except the hammer :-)  But Still the Timegate looks like its gonna be good! (reminds me of myst)
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'd love to see some of the old actors in the new series. Hugo Myatt, Mark Knight and Paul Valentine are absolutely essential! It simply won't be Knightmare without them! And I don't care what he says, Hugo Myatt is NOT too old - how old was Alec Guiness when he did Star Wars?
Subject to change.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

TimeGate looks decent - just viewed the trailer - although I'm not too sure whether the object of the game fits the setting (is this playing for money, or is the money just used as a "score"?) I didn't really like the "professor"(?) character either, he seemed to be too much of an alternative version of Treguard to me.

As for the Knightmare remake, it's certainly good news... but what's this about the dungeoneer not having to be guided or blindfolded? Knightmare wouldn't be the same without that. What I've read seems slightly unclear, I wouldn't want them to change the format that much (if at all).
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The format will no doubt be very different, seeing as things have moved on since 1994, but as it's so early in production, in fact not even in production hardly, it is impossible to say how it will turn out.

We shall have to wait for a batch of new news before we can comment on anything to do with it.  We should be the first people to know :)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I think this is correct from what's been said by Tim Child so far, although people changing their minds does happen:

The Dungeoneer, or whatever they'll be called, will see. It's not the same as before, I for one posted that it took away something very special, but hey, time turns. With the Dungeoneer able to see there'll be new challenges, and the game will be playable at a faster pace than before.

I think he's said that at most there would be one advisor, similar to TimeGate. So either one advisor or the Dungeoneer on their own. Carving out a suitable role for an advisor when the Dungeoneer can see may be a challenge in itself, but I think there's plenty of scope there, if they choose to follow that route. I hope they do, for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere.

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

[quote][/quote]

Can I just say what a brilliant name that is?  ;)
Thanks.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I wouldn't mind having the dungeoneer being able to see. If push comes to shove, there could always be magical "blind spots" in the dungeon making the dungeoneer blind and forcing their advisor(s) to guide them.

In any case, a lot of the time what happens in a room is more important than the process of guiding in and out (like a clue room, for example) so giving vision to the dungeoneer would speed things up nicely.

All the new series would need is a set of new puzzles that bear this in mind. I've got an idea:-

A motion-sensitive bomb room. Move too fast and the fuse lights. The dungeoneer would have to shuffle VERY slowly forwards. Add a goblin horn to the proceedings and it would be a very good test of nerve! Lots of tension!
Subject to change.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Yay! I just got me second star!
Subject to change.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Can I just say what a brilliant name that is?  ;)
Hooray for me.

Thanks! <¦-)

Who knows, my current obsession with the Chinese may have started with Ah Wok.
Last edited by DavidNewton on 14 Jan 2003, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Does anyone think that the "reformat" of Knightmare sounds too much like Timegate to be true? I think they might just end up being the same thing, or at least Timegate looks more likely to make it out of the door.

Personally, I'd rather see them just do Timegate than besmirch Knightmare with such a radical experiment.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Have a look here for a couple of postings from Tim Child last November regarding the differences between TimeGate and Knightmare VR:

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/yabb/Ya ... tart=30#37
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Thankyou ^_^
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Every series of Km was an experiment - it's a case of The new series will either be radically different, Or there will be no new series. There is no point in trying to recapture past glories by remaking old series; what must happen is for an experimental new series to come out that is every bit as good as previous series (if not better) and that can be respected for treading new ground. I've no problem with the concept of a dungeoneer that can see - it will certainly speed things up a bit.
Subject to change.