Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

Post by beveryafraid »

There seems some confusion as to the nature and purpose of the Knightmare VR demonstrator.

So to clarify: the demonstrator (or simulator) is is a real time virtual reality gaming platform.

Loaded into the system is the equivalent of one level of the old Knightmare, including a tunnel/maze layout.

Currently the simulator will operate two synchronous view points. View one is a topdown angled isometric and is simular to the controller's viewpoint in the TimeGate pilot. Once again - there will be a controller or perhaps even two (but not three).

View two is thru the eyes of the dungeoneer, who

is represented as an avatar (or player).

The simulator contains and controls four other non-playing (encounter) characters. All of these can conduct two way conversation. Some of these have a computerised database and some are directly connected through real actors behind the scenes. We hope and believe that teams  using the simulator will be unable to tell the differerence!

There are also three other NPCs but these are drama characters. You can guess that they include Lord F and Lissard. There is also a new Goblin creation who is currently codenamed Beveryafraid, until I can think of a better name for him. Teams invited to play on the simulator at the London launch should be able to enjoy about 20 minutes continuous gameplay.

The simulator runs on a three machine network of 3.4 gig PCs with professional quality NVidia graphics boards.
Two machines provide the viewpoints described, and the third machine is system management.

The whole setup includes the ability to data record and store, so when it is eventually used for TV programme production, you can go back and shoot all the action again from different cameras.

Finally, Treguard's avatar version may not be used when the simulator is launched in London this spring.
Instead, he will probably attend in person.
play the endgame and play only to win
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

Post by Malefact »

Thanks very much for that, BVA. I like the codename for the new Goblin - nothing like a bit of self-deprecatory humour, eh? :)

It sounds absolutely fantastic! The test pictures are tantalising.

May I say that I am VERY VERY VERY pleased that Treguard is likely to appear in person. Having a real person host the show would help bridge the gap between the Km world and the audience (which is, of course, precisely what the host of the show should do!) - something I'm not sure would have been quite so successful had he been an avatar.
Subject to change.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

As I've asked already, but think the thread might've been removed as I can't find it, can we have a go at naming the knew Goblin? and then you pick the best one. Also yay to the real Treguard possibly appearing and an even bigger yay if he definately does.

Malefact I don't know if Treguard appearing in person when the simulator is launched applies to whether or not he appears in person in the knew Knightmare though. I get the feeling (which is probably a stupid point because it's probably already been mentioned) that the whole knew KM is going to definately be full VR then or am I being a bit thick there?
Last edited by MoanaLiza on 24 Mar 2004, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I would guess that if Treguard appears in person for the launch of the simulator then it is very likely that he will appear in person in the subsequent series.

(Hugo Myatt has most definitely still got it - as his recent TV appearance showed. Too old, my foot! Go for it. :))
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Yes, I too am a little confused at how many of the features for the London thing will then definitely apply in any TV version. It did sound like there was still the possibility, at least, of Treguard's avatar version being used in any TV venture, if not in the London expedition.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

There is a very rough first animation test now on the Televirtual website KMVR development section.
Turn on sound for max effect
play the endgame and play only to win
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

What can I say? It looks and sounds terrific.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

This shall be cool! ;D Is there any particular channel it will appear on?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Oh, and are any old characters going to appear on the program?
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

I'd 've preferred a demo where the knight didn't make it... ;D

"Ooh, nasty."
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

LOL, yes, I wanted him to get killed at the end too.

But I love it. Love it. Love it. :D
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

This shall be cool! ;D Is there any particular channel it will appear on?

I somewhat doubt we'll see a demo appear on television, it very rarely happens.

Be nice to see Hugo back in the role, not sure if anyone else would be suitable for it on TV.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Thanks again, BVA! This gets better and better. :)

Kieran: It wouldn't be Km without Hugo Myatt. Granted, it's only ever been him so our view is, of course, totally one-sided. He is brilliant, though! He is the quintessential Dungeon Master.

(Yes, I know that us fans are very demanding - but it comes with the job. :))
Subject to change.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I think so as well. I just wonder whether having the entire programme in VR will put that psychological wedge in there. If it is meant to be more adult orientated than before, I'd just have thought that having no directly human characters would make it appear too childish or artificial. (Just an opinion) - then again - anyone who watches the late-night quiz show, 'The Machine' would know where a computerised device feels capable of conducting the show itself.

Also, I don't see a great deal of difference in a Hugo Myatt Treguard watching over this - for in KM, apart from there being more advisors, it was near enough the same simulated arena ~ I know the contestants were younger, more advice, consultation etc - but again, it keeps some of the KM authenticity too, and that's ever important in willing people to watch. Enjoy seeing it fall into place - splendid stuff.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Be nice to see Hugo back in the role, not sure if anyone else would be suitable for it on TV.
Heh! I'd hate to see Pat Sharp presenting it eh?  ;D
Last edited by Fidjit on 26 Mar 2004, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.