Call for Knightmare to return

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Call for Knightmare to return

Post by Canadanne »

In response to the BBC article about Danger Mouse being brought back, at least one person has called for Knightmare to come back too. :)
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Call for Knightmare to return

Post by Fidjit »

I don't mean to be negative but I can't see it working. Don't get me wrong I'm all for a fresh new approach to an original series but, ask yourself this... Would you really want to improve the Mona Lisa?? Shouldn't any piece of good work be cherished, remembered, and appreciated for the piece that it is?? If it works then I will stand utterly corrected. But somehow I cannot see that one sticking :(
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I'm inclined to agree with you Fidjit, but I think we're in the minority there.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Well I guess it's worth giving anything another chance. Danger Mouse never really got that opportunity until now :) I just look at these programs companies that have massacred things like Thomas and Friends and Fireman Sam. It's like they took the program like it was a fruit and scooped out all that was good about it and left it like a mere shell :/
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Fidjit wrote:I don't mean to be negative but I can't see it working. Don't get me wrong I'm all for a fresh new approach to an original series but, ask yourself this... Would you really want to improve the Mona Lisa?? Shouldn't any piece of good work be cherished, remembered, and appreciated for the piece that it is?? If it works then I will stand utterly corrected. But somehow I cannot see that one sticking :(
Canadanne wrote:I'm inclined to agree with you Fidjit, but I think we're in the minority there.
I disagree. You only have to look at the geek week episode. With a few tweaks I think it could work. The kmvr approach would definately not work but the geek week episode showed how it could still be done.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

For me, a new series would be less like trying to improve the Mona Lisa and more like trying to paint something new which is as good as the Mona Lisa. That is, the original will still be there in all its glory no matter what happens.

The opportunities outweigh the risks IMHO.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

If they don't try they've already failed.
It's not like Tim is going to have George Lucas syndrome and touch the originals :)
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Yeah that's a fair point. I suppose I'm just looking at the flip side of the coin, but I guess one has to be cautious about these things. Or to be more precise, don't get your hopes up :)

If Knightmare were to make a return it would have to try and find that charm it once had. And I'm sorry to say as much as it was nice seeing Hugo and Knightmare again, I didn't like the Geek Week show :/
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Neither did I but the Geek week ep was quickly put together and made to certain specifications from youtube, and it just showed it doesn't really work using adults. The VR pilot was another experiment which didn't work either.

I just think with modern tech a new knightmare has so many possibilities.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It was interesting to see at the convention that the recut Geek Week episode was actually extremely popular and was considered to be far better than the original Geek Week episode.

I think most people who saw it would agree that it worked.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Yes the longer version was far superior to the released version, but I still don't think the show works with adult contestants, although id have to see more adult quests to judge properly, but the geek week ep wasn't a great representation of an adult version of the show (mainly due to it's spoofy nature). Maybe that was down to the circumstances it was made under or the short shooting schedule, or the contestants themselves.

Plus Treguard has more authority and a true purpose when dealing with kids.

I just see it as a bit of a novelty really.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I suppose to be fair it was a nice way to let people remember what Knightmare was. Most people I talk to about it don't remember until I say something like, "You know that program where a kid goes into a VR dungeon guided by his mates..."

It was nice to see it wasn't forgotten. It was just on the bland side. But for what we got it was okay.

I apologise for coming across unappreciative. (If that's the right word)
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Just read my original reaction to the Geek Week episode. I said I "would have preferred more navigational challenges" and bemoaned "the lack of wall monster" - the extended ep added two rooms which specifically address both these things!

Still a few weird editing errors though - notably the 'put the spyglass down!' bit.

There was talk of using the extended show as a pilot for a new series - does anyone know what happened to that plan?

Anyway, yes - a definite improvement!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

There was talk of using the extended show as a pilot for a new series - does anyone know what happened to that plan?
I believe it was used but that it hasn't been picked up yet.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

If that pilot was to be do you reckon we'd be turned to for advice? After all, when it comes to the subject, who better to ask but the enthusiasts