Has anybody seen Raven?

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Has anybody seen Raven?

Post by Naitch »

Greetings one and all

I was flicking through some digital channels one afternoon last week, and I noticed this programme called Raven on the CBBC channel.

I found it to be very interesting.

I also found it to be pretty similar to Knightmare in quite a lot of respects.

Its a very good programme, but watching it I couldn't help but think that there is certainly a market of a Knew series of Knightmare.

What do you think?
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Has anybody seen Raven?

Post by Becxsmagic »

I think KM-VR didn't appeal to most people just because it went OTT a bit. But I've got this restless feeling that the TV companies are missing out on a lot. There is little originality in TV today, even the really good programmes seem copied, and I think something like Knightmare will stand out, if it's presented and advertised in the right way.

Sorry if this post didn't make any sense, but then again my posts never make sense. ;)
Whereever you go, there you are
NeilJones
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by NeilJones »

I've had the pleasure of watching Raven and yes I've also noticed its built along the same premise as Knightmare was.

It seems to be You Bet meets Knightmare meets Fort Boyard in some regards. The Knightmare influence is pretty clear (guy with silly beard is in charge watching over physically fit brats making a pigs ear of something). Fort Boyard's presence is in tight time limits and seemingly impossible challenes, and You Bet for, well, are they going to do it basically.

It's marketed as an original show but surely we're nearly at the stage now nearly 70 years after the first TV broadcasts in this country where everything that can be done on TV has been done and everything else to come has been done before.
Yes I'm still here. Do you know who I am?
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Neil Jones wrote:It's marketed as an original show but surely we're nearly at the stage now nearly 70 years after the first TV broadcasts in this country where everything that can be done on TV has been done and everything else to come has been done before.
Space Cadets?

In 1899, the patent commisioner Charles H. Duell is attributed as saying "Everything that can be invented has been invented". I'm sure new ideas will continue to come until the world explodes.
NeilJones
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by NeilJones »

BillyH wrote:
Neil Jones wrote:It's marketed as an original show but surely we're nearly at the stage now nearly 70 years after the first TV broadcasts in this country where everything that can be done on TV has been done and everything else to come has been done before.
Space Cadets?
Notice use of "nearly" in my post.

Anyway some people would argue that the moon landings of 1969 were faked and in that regard Space Cadets joins the ranks of nothing that hasn't been on before.
Yes I'm still here. Do you know who I am?
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I saw this a few weeks ago, having dragged myself in from work one early morning, it is indeed fairly similar to KM (though does not requre a giant blue screen for the puzzles and whatnot).
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Yeah.

I think Raven is a great show.

It is a bit simple, and I am at least 10 years older than the kids on the show, but when I watch it I can't help but feel that maybe Knightmare needn't have ended after all...
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

raven has got a lot better since its first series. now it has the cool end game at the end of each week thats like a gauntlet obstacle course thing.
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
rob0048
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

is raven a cheap version of knightmare

Post by rob0048 »

does anyone else that raven on bbc is a cheap version of knightmare. i a knightmare die hard and would like to communicate with any like minded fans.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:is raven a cheap version of knightmare

Post by HStorm »

Welcome to the K-Zone... may your time here bring much die-hardness.

It clearly takes some inspiration from KM - especially given how similar Raven himself looks to Treguard - but I don't think it's just a cheap copy. The game rules and the scenario are substantially different, and there are far fewer effects in it than in KM, especially no chromakey technology.

I've got time for Raven as a series, it does take up the baton where KM left it and runs with it fairly well. I just wish the host's personality made him less of a Gandalf clone. There are far too many of them out there...
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Raven isn't a cheap version of Knightmare - it's clearly been given a much bigger budget in recent series. But it is similar to Knightmare in many respects, which is why it was such a pleasant surpirse to me to find that the BBC were making such a programme in these modern times of dumbed-down Children's TV.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Hi there and welcome. Personally I consider the dungeoneers the die-hards, and us the watch-hards. ;) As for Raven, I tend to regard it as the lovechild of Knightmare and The Crystal Maze. You might find this discussion of it interesting.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
TreguardPobski69
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Raven

Post by TreguardPobski69 »

I watched Raven and I have to say it wasnt too bad I can see what they have tried to do and for me it works :'(
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Raven

Post by Naitch »

Greetings Tregaurdpobski69

Yeah, Raven is a good show. Very similar to Knightmare in some respects.

Here's the link to a previous discussion about it...

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/http:// ... 6#msg34096
TreguardPobski69
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Raven

Post by TreguardPobski69 »

I never knew it had been going for so long there are some good and bad things on there.