Knightmare Theme Guitar Tab

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:KM Guitar Tab

Post by Snowcat »

Another to keep an eye on is the time signature. The KM theme is in 6/8 time and NOT 4/4 like so many versions I've heard.

The tune has a certain off-beat swagger to it.
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by djoska »

series 1-5 (both versions)

Are in G major 4/4 triplet time (sounds like very fast 3/4 time) at 150-160 bpm. This pitches up to A major in 2nd half

series 6-8 in C major and 4/4 time 110-120 bpm and transposes to Eb Major in the middle.

This is accurate information.

I am a musician with 'perfect pitch', which is a talented inherited gift that enables me to recognise pitches to the nearest semitone.

If you want notation/tab- download the MIDI file and there's some programs that can display MIDI in notation and TAB format!!!

:D there you go mate!
Keep a look out for my Knew Knightmare PC game!!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

No, I agree with Snowcat, I think it works better in 6/8 rather than in 4 time, at least the faster versions do (such as the closing credits and the s1-5 music).
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

If it helps....

http://www.knightmare.com/fanstuff/guitar.htm

Unless that is the one your trying already! :-[ Googleing 'Knightmare Guitar Tab' will give you a whole heap of interpretations to work from as well.

I'm a piper by trade when it comes to music so 'perfect pitch' is probably something I'll never obtain. ;) HOWEVER, I know my beats and there is no way that the KM theme is a 4/4 '4 to the floor' beat. particularly in it's early incarnations. You try playing that string backing in 4/4 and tell me how ye get on. :)

It's also the reason why the drums in the later series version of the Theme tune is so awkward and 'jumpy'. It simply doesn't quite fit and get's compressed in strange ways to make it work.

For those who aren't musically inclined, play the theme tune (downloadable from Knightmare.com) and count out '1-2-3-4' in time to it. You'll find that it'll fit but the beat feels drawn out and rather flat.

NEXT, use the same piece and count out a 2x speed Waltz time '123-123-123-123'. Suddenly the whole thing takes on a kinda galloping stance, very similar to the hoofbeats in the early animation!

This making much sense? :-[
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by djoska »

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

series 1-5 IS in 4/4 because there is a strong accent on each beat and in between is what's known as triplets which basically make it sound 6/8!!
It's 150-160 bpm in that time and would do well as a dance remix...

or not.

Series 6-8 is in 4/4 and a bit slower with a more 4/4 feel to it.

Trust me!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

*Rubbing his paws in glee at the thought of a good and honest debate that he can wade into.... ;)*

Oh I trust ye, friend. I just don't agree with ye... ;D

Rather than going around in circles and entrenching ourselves let's have a look at what's been laid down and go from there:-

I'll agree (having had a listen to it again) that the S678 theme IS INDEED in 4/4. It's sounds hellish for it as well, too drawn out and to my ears the rythmn is all wrong. For the sake of this, that's going to be my final word on the S678 themes and no correspondance/flamage will be entered into.

Now for the fun stuff... The 2 pieces that cover S123 and S45. :)

Oska, you tell me that the beat isn't 6/8 but in a so-called "4/4 triplet time". Yes? Right then let's lay that out on the floor here......

*Scraping of furniture on expensive wooden floor*

The way I was taught, 4/4 " four to the floor" means 4 beats to the bar and 4 bars to the line. It's sometimes refered to in Pipeband circles as 'Common time'.

The loop goes thus:-

[ONE TWO THREE FOUR ][ONE TWO THREE FOUR ]

That's 2 bars worth. Exactly half a line to my count. Now let's add the triplets:-

[ONE and a TWO and a THREE and a FOUR and a ][ONE and a TWO and a THREE and a FOUR and a ]

That make sense? (I hope so! it's a booger to type!)
What I've tried to show (half of in this case) is 4 beats to the bar, 4 bars to the line plus the added 'Triplets' between each main beat.

But here's the thing.... What happens if I move the bar lines to where, IMHO, they SHOULD go? This is THE EXACT SAME BEAT, EXACT SAME COUNT:-

[ONE and a TWO and a ][THREE and a FOUR and a ][ONE and a TWO and a ][THREE and a FOUR and a ]

As before, for those who don't know what the hell i'm on about, play the MP3's of the early theme music and actually count out what you see above as the piece plays out. Notice how we suddenly end up with 6 beats to the bar and 8 bars to the line? That sound familiar from somewhere else?

To sum it up, as far as I'm concerned, the music is 6/8. It always has been always will be. Admittedly, me and DJoska are probably saying the exact same thing just using different ways to describe it. :o

My Point is:- Debz (and anyone else intending to remix or play the early KM theme), IF your using a metronome or clicktrack, set it it to 6/8 timing NOT the default 4/4. The perfectly regular intervals of a 4/4 click will throw you to the winds and be a sod to keep in time with.

It's the reason why so many of the theme remixes that have been done over the years have gone for this weird 'speed demon' over syncopated rythmn. IMO It simply.... doesn't.... work....

Who'd have thunk it? A PIPER and a DJ giving each other music lessons... Talk about a bitter sweet irony! ;) lol
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by djoska »

Ok- we have an agreement!!

6/8 and 4/4 can be similar and now I've thought about it- we could both be right in a way.
One way to find out is to ask Ed Welch!!!!

The dance remix I've made is in 4/4 and has more of a S6-8 feel but it's well clever, features treguard and pooka samples- I'll upload it onto a site or email it soon!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

You know, it could be in 12/8... that satisfies both the 4/4 and 6/8 camps.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by djoska »

double figures???

nah- I'm gonna give up on this debate!

I've figured that it could be 6/8 if you listen by the swing but 4/4 if you're beat-based.

I've just created a Knightmare Dance Remix and it's fcucking great!!!!!

I'll upload it soon- I gotta get this game thingy out the way first!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

Dunno if this'll paste okay in here, but here goes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------7---4-----------5-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------5---7-----------5---2-------5--5/4/5---4/5---5/6---6/7---7/8---8/9---9/10---10/11---11/12---
---5-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy-paste that into Notepad.

I think this is good for the first part of the tune. I'm still trying to get where it transposes. I'll post that when I can.
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by djoska »

...I wish I could understand that cr*p

I prefer playing it on my synthesizers with a tacky slow-rock rhythm speeded up a bit!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

That's guitar tab. In a nutshell each of the six lines represents the strings on a guitar. Bottom line being bottom E. The number given for the line is which fret that has to be played. So, the opening note is A string fret 5.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Theme Guitar Tab

Post by Mystara »

I might have a go at this some time.
Did anyone ever figure it out? Presumably someone must have with the MIDI file being out there.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Theme Guitar Tab

Post by Mystara »

Thanks to the extremely talented Guitar Hero, Mark McGuigan, the Knightmare melody has been revealed (attached).

I have tried to convince mark to produce a video discussing the Knightmare theme, but we'll see. I'm sure it will depend on how eager everyone is!
Attachments
knightmare theme.jpg
knightmare theme.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 15357 times