Forum Etiquette

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Forum Etiquette

Post by MoanaLiza »

Spelling for me is not too bad, except with typing errors, which I sometimes cannot avoid. But Punctuation and sometimes grammar are my weak points. I don't have much problems reading text with punctuation errors as I still find them easy to read. It's just sometimes grammatical errors and mainly spelling errors. I do know some of you do have problems with the spelling, i.e. Skarkill, but I don't have a problem most of the time with his posts and I've noticed that his spelling has improved here over the months. The ones I have a problem with are the ones who don't make an effort to try and spell or make there posts look tidy. I do also have a problem sometimes trying to work out when posts have a lot of the words in txt. I think that txt is best kept for mobiles and chat and probably if you are posting in a hurry. So for those of you who are determined to write in txt here please remember that there are members here who don't understand txt talk, particularly if there are a couple of older members here.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Typos and dyslexia are always acceptable. Forums are not posh or important letters that depend on your future. What annoys me is:

wen ppl cant be bothered 2 type ful words and stuf cos this is the only way they no how 2 type and it feels like the forum has been swampt by a load ov 16yrolds or younga hu dont relly care and hav neva herd ov punctooashun (sp?)

(Note: (sp?) doesn't irritate me - it's a courteous footnote :))
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I must say that I personally don't think that this is a major problem, compared with other forums I have seen. The quality of posting is possibly better than a few years ago as members have matured. ;D

If any particular member is constantly posting in a way that makes it very difficult to read or understand, then we would inform them anyway.

As some have mentioned, if we were to have guidelines on this it would be a moderation knightmare on where you draw the line between an acceptable and non-acceptable post. I know it is sometimes fustrating, but I don't think such moderation is practical.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
pixie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by pixie »

Emii wrote: What annoys me is:

wen ppl cant be bothered 2 type ful words and stuf cos this is the only way they no how 2 type and it feels like the forum has been swampt by a load ov 16yrolds or younga hu dont relly care and hav neva herd ov punctooashun (sp?)
;D LOL ;D
I must say that I personally don't think that this is a major problem, compared with other forums I have seen. The quality of posting is possibly better than a few years ago as members have matured.
I haven't been a member of this forum for that long but it's always come across as very friendly and polite. The more older members don't lack that many english skills as far as I can see, but I can't speak for the newer members as I haven't been on here for a while.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Ooh! Hello there! When did you pop back? :)
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

As Nic says, the best way to deal with such matters is to pick out the regular offenders and try and get them to improve their general posting technique.

Many people have reasons why they cannot spell/type/punctuate etc, that has to be expected on any forum.

The only thing that is not excusable is making many posts with 'Yeah' and 'LOL' and 'I agree' etc. Small comments add nothing to a dicussion, and saying 'lol' rarely does.

Again, this forum is far neater when it cmes to post structure, we are far better off than say...the Challenge? forum etc.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Another note worth making is that users who show a severe and deliberate lack of etiquette are usually made examples of, one way or another, fairly swiftly.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.