Main site downtime

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Main site downtime

Post by Illusion »

Bad knews folks...

Just found out from V21 (where the main site is hosted on) that due to problems with their web server (a lot of downtime recently), they have taken the whole thing offline, and all sites they host will be unavailable until a replacement web server is ready. They say that this *hopefully* should happen by the end of the month.

As a temporary measure, knightmare.com will redirect to the Knightmare Discussion Forum, which ironically doesn't seem to have problems.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Main site downtime

Post by HStorm »

That IS rotten news. We barely get settled back into the forum when the main site collapses.

*Screams loudly until the world shakes a bit.*

There, that helped.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It is rather bad news actually, is dependent on a certain deal w/ Jessops for April....How wonderful they will feel to see the site down.

As I stated earlier, IKM has relocated due to the problems.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Bloomin Typical.

::) ::) ::) ::)

You get one problem sorted and fate hurls another your way.

Oh well I hope they managed to get the problem sorted out as quikly as possiable.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Knightmare.com redirects, but none of the other Knightmare links do though. I got here through the putting in the talkknightmare address, which is stored in my browser memory. I first tried knightmare.clara.net which of course directed me to the main (down) site. Just a thought though couldn't part of the main site (i.e. the main page and series guides) be uploaded (temporarily) to a free host? Or would that be too much trouble. Could someone else do it voluntary just while V21 isn't working and then delete it when it's working again i.e. someone opening a temporary account. Just a thought and idea though.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I'll see what can be arranged...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I'm probably being over-careful here, but the Forum's FAQ is on the V21 server (and therefore unreachable at present) , and there's been a number of newbies joining the board today. Even if you can't mirror the rest of the site, Illusion, it might be a good idea to repost the FAQ on a new server so they've got the guidelines to hand. (Especially as the main site is redirecting to here right now, which is likely to attract the attention of a lot of potential new users.)
Last edited by HStorm on 15 Mar 2004, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Oh dear, that is tiresome. I suppose the only small shred of comfort is the fact it might mean a few more people joining here after getting the direct link.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I had problems opening up pages... And downloading clips  >:( Ah well nothing drastic  ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Good to know, I'm making a Knightmare web page as a school job and I spent half an hour trying to get to the page  ::)   :)
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
snapperjack
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by snapperjack »

have u tried 1and1 internet services they do a good a deal now and again i use them try it :)[quote][/quote]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Good to know, I'm making a Knightmare web page as a school job and I spent half an hour trying to get to the page  ::)   :)
Ouch.

I have to admit that I too tried it for a bit thinking it was my evil browser messing up, as per usual. Even tried a system reboot to try fixing it. But just for once, neither AOL or Windows ME was to blame for something.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Amorya
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Amorya »

Guys, if you need some temporary hosting (until yours is back), let me know.

amorya -at- amorya.freeserve.co.uk

Amorya
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Well the hosting provider reckons they can get things back up by the end of the month, and I'm prepared to wait and see. If it doesn't materialise I will shell out a bit for some new hosting elsewhere.

Thanks to people who offered webspace etc, but the main issue and cost is bandwidth. This site seems to take up a lot of it as it gets bigger and more people visit. This forum itself is over 120MB and has eaten 2GB of bandwidth in the last 2 weeks. The main site is nearly 200MB.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Hmm. Unless you got yourself 3 other IP addresses to avoid suspicion, you could try angeltowns.com. Best I've seen (and I've tried plenty). 50MB webspace, infinite bandwidth (that's nice of them), just log in every 90 days so it doesn't disappear.

It's also free. One of these overlooked ones. I've still yet to find a catch. Maybe there's been secret underground deals to get bandwidth, or something.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"