Main site downtime

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Main site downtime

Post by KaM »

Regarding the sponsorship issue:

I believe the site being down may have caused problems: for despite the whole company policy explanation I was given, there was never any chance it could be wavered with my promise of advertising not living up. I've updated further letters now though; aware that there are difficulties with the site, and so hopefully the integrity will not be judged on that. Cringe at the timing though.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

IKM is still available of course....
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Has anyone come to the forum through Knightmare.com lately? I like what it says there!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Hehe, I hadn't seen that. It's rather amusing, I have to say. :D
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Hmm. Unless you got yourself 3 other IP addresses to avoid suspicion, you could try angeltowns.com. Best I've seen (and I've tried plenty). 50MB webspace, infinite bandwidth (that's nice of them), just log in every 90 days so it doesn't disappear.
Thanks for that. Had a quick look, but they only take registations for new accounts during the first 5 days of each month, and the the maximum file size is 900k. I'd imagine the site will be back up and running before I can set up an angeltowns account. Still, quite a good offer.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I noticed that nobody has done anything to remove the forum FAQ from the v21 server. You have added the page if anybody goes to www.knightmare.com (by putting it on the talkknightmare host, judging from the address it redirects to), so surely the forum FAQ can be put on the talkknightmare host (or do the same thing that you did to create the page mentioned above).
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

If all doesn't go well and for anyone else who's interested, I've noticed a few hosts on ebay (UK computing - webhosting) I don't know if they are too expensive though nor which have the best deals. There is one that is strictly for ebay customers http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tegory=194 . It is I understand £2.95 p/m with a £9.95 one time setup fee. It has 1Gb of storage = to 1250Mb Web space and 500Gb per Month bandwidth. I don't know if that's any help and I may also have read it wrong/misunderstood it. Also as I say the purchases are only available to Ebay customers only and they're only available for just over three more days, unless the seller has more available afterwards. There as I've already said are a few others.
Amorya
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Amorya »

Well the hosting provider reckons they can get things back up by the end of the month, and I'm prepared to wait and see. If it doesn't materialise I will shell out a bit for some new hosting elsewhere.

Thanks to people who offered webspace etc, but the main issue and cost is bandwidth. This site seems to take up a lot of it as it gets bigger and more people visit. This forum itself is over 120MB and has eaten 2GB of bandwidth in the last 2 weeks. The main site is nearly 200MB.
The offer still stands... I have bandwidth to spare :)

(My host offers 50GB, and we hardly use a tenth of that)

Amorya
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I noticed that nobody has done anything to remove the forum FAQ from the v21 server. You have added the page if anybody goes to www.knightmare.com (by putting it on the talkknightmare host, judging from the address it redirects to), so surely the forum FAQ can be put on the talkknightmare host (or do the same thing that you did to create the page mentioned above).
Indeed. Has now been done.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I noticed that the links to e-mail do not work. They are trying to link to http://www.talkknightmare.co.uk/contact.htm, but this gives an error when I click on it. I know that on the Contact page, there is a link to an e-mail address - I would say to replace these links with that e-mail address (sorry, do not know it at present).

Also, www.knightmare.co.uk and www.knightmare.clara.net normally goes to the site, but still redirect to http://knightmare.v21hosting.co.uk/, which is down. These should be redirected to the same page as www.knightmare.com
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Yes, I'm aware that there are some things like those you mention that need tweaking. However, as the site will be back online within the next week I'm reluctant to change everything since I have to change them anyway in a few days.
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Is it worthwhile looking at having a mirror of the site, that way if one of the servers goes down theres always another one on hand to take over...
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Clock!

Post by MoanaLiza »

A bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic and didn't know where to put this, but the clock hasn't automatically updated itself and is also over an hour and about five minutes behind. I thought for some reason that it would've updated itself automatically, but I guess it has to updated manually brobably by Illusion. Anyway back to the topic but there's about just under four days til the beginning of April so hopefully the main server will be back up and running by then and hopefully the main site will be back up. Just out of interest though is clara part of v21? if not then why doesn't knightmare.clara.net work then?
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

The forum kclock reads off the server time. Looks like the hosting company has not updated it yet! I have however done this manually by adding an hour offset, but when they update the server time I will have to remove it again.

The site is not hosted on Claranet anymore, the Claranet address redirects to V21.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I don't know if it's me, but knightmare.com page doesn't seem to have the forum link anymore. It just says "this page cannot be displayed" I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing as there is just one more day after today until the 1st April so hopefully things will be back to normal by then.