Knightmare.com Update

Announcements regarding the Knightmare community and website.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Knightmare.com Update

Post by Mystara »

Phew.

After many months of putting things into place, porting articles across and discovering pages that even I didn't know existed, we are now in the final stages of the update to knightmare.com.

It's our intention to launch the new site some time before the end of this month.

What can you expect?
From launch, the new site and forum will be given a fairly major facelift. The new design has been done from scratch and should look a fair bit newer than the current one.
A content management system (Joomla) will handle all the articles. This allows us to add new material, move it around and change the layout of the site easily.
We've made corrections throughout the site. We've erased old links, redone some photos and corrected mistakes.

In general, however, the content of the site remains more-or-less the same for now.

At some point we'll look in to altering the navigation and categorisation of the site. Not sure if this will be done now or later.
We're also looking at updating photos and movies to being higher quality. This is likely to take some time and certainly won't begin until the new site goes live.
Longer term we're looking to merge with IKM and combine the two sites together under one roof.

Immediately before the upgrade, the site and forum will be taken offline for a few hours in order to handle the changeover from the old to the new server. We'll give more information of this nearer the time.

As you were.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare.com Update

Post by Mystara »

It is our intention to perform the switch on Saturday (27th March) morning.
Both the old and new site (including the forum) will be unavailable for several hours during this time.

It's our hope that the move will be problem free and that all pages will work correctly and look wonderful.
In practice, that's unlikely to happen. Our first priority will be to making the site work. The second priority will be to making things look correct and the third priority will be to improve what already exists.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Delayed until this afternoon.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The new site is now online.

You will notice that the forum style was not changed. I figured that there were sufficient other things happening at once that we could do without the grief of fiddling with that too.

Hopefully you'll like the site.
Hopefully the bugs won't be too extensive.

Still plenty more work to do!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

On first glance it looks nice 'nd easy on the eye.

The site has probably needed an update for quite some time. It has had the same basic design since its conception afterall.

I shall have a navigate around, and will report if anything doesn't seem quite right.

So far so good, anyway :-)

Be interested to hear what other people think.
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Darren »

What a fantastic update! Quite a shock to see such a huge change to a layout i've been fairly used to all these years. It's about time we had an update, to bring the site up to date with the rest of the internet. The site is fairly easy to navigate and the layout is very modern and up to date. The colours in my opinion are perfect, and pay homage to the original layout and work well with the layout. I hope the overhaul of the forum will follow suit and match the website.

I think the next step is to try and gain some exposure, I would suggest using the Facebook group and Twitter to get the word around, however there has to be other methods of doing so. It would be a shame to have a nice new layout, with no one to look at it. I look forward to the future, and I hope the new layout is to everyones liking.
Aranel
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aranel »

Love the new look! Has dusted off the cobwebs somewhat :-p

I think we need to poke people in the brains and shove Knightmare in their faces :-D
That's my idea and I'm sticking to it!
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

The new look is much more different than I would have expected it to be! That's meant in a good way though, as Darren said the site had looked the same since its beginning. It's all fantastic and shiny now!

As for exposure, agreed with the Facebook and Twitter but that's mainly applicable to people who remember Knightmare and would be likely to search for it; some people who would have watched it may remember the show but maybe not the name. Maybe we should do something offline too? In other words, taking Aranel's suggestion of poking people in the brains and shoving Knightmare in their faces literally. ;)
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

And thus, it came to pass that Knightmare.com was introduced to the majesty of Web 2.0
and truly did its visitors come to know the name of the King.

But yes, a most excellent update. Facebook'd, tweeted and LJ'd for, as ever, Great Justice.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Excellent.... A fresh and rejuvenated new look that brings it in line with the recent arrival of a new decade.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Sidriss
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Sidriss »

Very shiny :).

Hello to everyone who already knows me, hi I'm Lucy to everyone who doesn't! I got the email about the new site and had to check it out, it's very easy to navigate and looks very slick.

Well done to all involved.

Sidriss signing off ;)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Good to hear from you after... however long it's been ;)
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Sidriss wrote:Very shiny :).

Hello to everyone who already knows me, hi I'm Lucy to everyone who doesn't! I got the email about the new site and had to check it out, it's very easy to navigate and looks very slick.

Well done to all involved.

Sidriss signing off ;)
Good to hear from you Lucy :-)
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Mystara for taking over the site (its now in his ownership) and to those who helped transfer everything across. I cannot believe some of the pages are more than 10 years old... seems like only yesterday I was putting them together! It needed a re-design years ago to bring it up to date and I'm glad it's now happened.

And a big thanks to all of you over the last 10 years who has contributed to the site and made all those years of late nights worth it putting it all together. I'm not around much anymore but hope the site lives on. 8-o
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Second Doctor: You've had this room redecorated haven't you.
[shaking head]
Second Doctor: Don't like it. B-|>
Whilst the above doesn't illustratrate exact;y what I feel, it was my primary reaction. The old site had that cosy feel as tho being accessed from the Powers that Be stronghold at Knightmare Castle and was therefore a little more 'clunky'. The new one has the aura of being modern and efficent in the way Fear would himself be proud. So all in all, it is certainly an improvement but it's essence is not the same. However it's reassuring the previous owners comments could be summarised as
First Doctor [ to the Fifth Doctor ]: Goodbye, my boy. You did quite well, quite well. It's reassuring to know my future is in good hands.
:P