Good luck to new students

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Good luck to new students

Post by Drassil »

I had some problems logging in and would've said this earlier, but here goes...

I wanted to wish anyone who has just started university the best of luck. Arguably, being a 1st Year Undegraduate is like being a Level 1 Dungeoneer: a bit surreal and daunting at first, but once you've got your bearings, it can be a lot of fun!  :)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Good luck to new students

Post by Emii »

Thank you! I kinda needed that...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

You are kind Drassil... And yet, I'm starting College so I'd still be able to talk more...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

I know that everyone says this, but university really will be the best time of your life, so just make the most of it!

At the risk of showing my age, the key is striking the right balance between work and play  :D

Playing is a lot of fun, but you'll be kicked out soon enough if you don't put the work in. On the other hand, if you bury your head too far into your studies you'll not make any friends and might as well just do a home study course.

I veered ever so slightly too much in the direction of play, but I have no regrets!
If this were really happening, what would you think?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

That's right...

I mean, I have started something new, and I have a little bit of trouble focusing on my work I am doing on the computer.

Mainly because I am on the KM Forum replying to the questions... This is literally all I do on the internet...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think we've all been there. :)
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

And have done it for so many many years too...

Hmm, well year 2 gets no better, year 1 will probably remain the best! (of University, not being here  8))
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I would say that the 1st year is the most fun, with the final year being good in terms of intellectual stimulation, if you're that way inclined.  :-/
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hi all. Well, I'm ending my third week here at Bristol, and am slowly but surely settling in. Still finding a million different thoughts crossing the mind all the time, but fewer doubts and less fear for the moment. Have stayed off drink altogether since I got here, not spent very much, and keeping as organised as possible. If I do that and keep on top of things, I think I'll feel better if I loosen up around Xmas and have some fun then. Our workload assumes that we will not slack through the first year .. in fact, assiduously denying that to anyone with hopes of completely dodging any work - but have got off to better start than I could have hoped for, so am hoping the improvement keeps ticking along.

KaM
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Good luck to new students

Post by Drassil »

I just thought I'd bring this thread back to the surface, in time for this year's new students. Best of luck at university!
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Drassil wrote: I had some problems logging in and would've said this earlier, but here goes...

I wanted to wish anyone who has just started university the best of luck. Arguably, being a 1st Year Undegraduate is like being a Level 1 Dungeoneer: a bit surreal and daunting at first, but once you've got your bearings, it can be a lot of fun!  :)
I agree very much with drassil's analogy, if I went by that, I would be in level 2 now (as I'm a second year), probably faced with something like cedric or a spindizzy.

I also always used to think the first year as the equivalent of the lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring. You leave home (hobbition lol) and meet knew people (a fellowship) and make friends, all trying to a chieve a goal. Not destroying a ring though in this case. Thank goodness I wasn't the 1st year equivalent of
boromir though!

Hope all you fresher's have a good year, but remember, the only way is onward.....
Last edited by 123Pooka on 23 Sep 2004, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Is freshers week like being in the anti-chamber about to enter the dungeon then? ;)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

With a few more jugs of ale, yes!

Ah, now I'm a level 2 Uni student...I think this year might actually be the best one, because I know what I'm doing and where I'm going, I've learnt how to get slightly drunk without feeling ill (Tip: Only drink what you like. If you don't like bitter, don't drink it. I stick to alcopops. Oh, and don't drink under the legal age, kids- you'll only wreck your brain), and I can effortlessly show fresher's where on earth they should go to choose an 'elective'.

Oh, that and two of my flatmates are bringing their Amigas up.
MARVELLOUS!
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hmm, I'm sorry to put a crimp on things but I think you'll find that the second year is a lot harder than the first.
Subject to change.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Might encourage some of my flatmates to become less of the boozehounds they were after the fresher's week, so that can only be good.

That and I kinda had a lot of free time, and got bored occasionally.

It might explain why I visited this site about 6 times a day... ::)
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"