Too Close Knit?

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Too Close Knit?

Post by Gerz »

Is it me or does this Community seem too closely knit for its own good, "Knewbies" seems to leave the board pretty quick, and I find that the majority of my posts seem to be ignored.

It might be just me though
I Love Goblins
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Too Close Knit?

Post by Emii »

I read yourposts, and look at all the knewbies that stayed! Grumphicks, Adzee, Arenal, Pickle ^_^, RoxxAatherton but to name a few (apologies to anyone left out).
Don't worry Gerz - You aren't ignored ^.^
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Is it me or does this Community seem too closely knit for its own good, "Knewbies" seems to leave the board pretty quick, and I find that the majority of my posts seem to be ignored.
I don't really think it's too closely knit. It's true that a lot of new posters disappear quite quickly. However, I think that's true of all forums. Some people realise after joining it's just not for them, and some people only want to say a few things. A lot of people just contribute as and when they have the time and see fit. They're not valued any less for that.

Of course, it's important to welcome people warmly and be polite at all times. I hope just about everyone who starts posting here gets such a welcome, and I for one try to involve new people as best I can. On another subject, sometimes we all have disagreements- the important thing is to keep them in perspective and keep them civil. As I said on another thread recently, the medium of text and smileys isn't the best for conveying a welcome or the true motive for saying anything. Sometimes it's easy for a line of text to be misconstrued. That's why we all have to make an effort to try to ensure what we say couldn't be taken in a nasty way, but also for us all to try to take comments in a good way, and not look for hidden agendas or slanders.

I'm sorry you feel a lot of your posts don't get replies, Gerz. I think we all feel a little like that sometimes, though. Everyone here is valued, but- if you see what I mean- not everyone can be shown that at the same time. I try to concentrate on the replies I do get, and the people who do show me genuine warmth and courtesy. Obviously, that's not going to be everyone. We're only human, after all- but I think there's enough decency and good feeling here to go around. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

as i mentioned in "Im here" or "Ive arrived" (whichever it was i cant remember) i think this place is close knit but not as far as it could be. the fact that we share a common interest in knightmare should make us accessable to anyone who wants and from past experience i find people here a lot more welcoming and friendly than many other places.

From when i joined (can't even be a full month ago yet...just to give some indication of kn00bness ;D) I know i was worried that i might rub everyone up the wrong way but i just made contributions where i felt i had something to say. I found the humour here (in general...i mean we cant count the "great"  jokes topic) on the whole good and sarcastic, just the way i like it. this may be more why janus had issues. she wasn't expecting anything so friendly so quickly whereas I went into fits of delight at being glomped almost instantly ;D

Gerz, maybe im just sad but i tend to read everyones posts to the full and reply if i have an opinion. you propbably just haven't offende me enough to get a lickin yet ;)

EDIT - does anyone save Emii know what glomping is...i have yet to discover it :D
Last edited by Pickle123 on 14 Jun 2003, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

*jumps up and down waving arms around* oOo oOo oOo I do! I do!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

Sorry, just me then. I get a bit paraniod or whatever sometimes..Sorry
I Love Goblins
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

well...you feel like telling me? pretty please? ;D

Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

No worries, Gerz!
*cleaqrs throat* AHEM!

To glomp (he glomps, she glomps, they glomp, we glomp, thou glompst):
A form of affection - to run at a person, tackle them, take themto the floor, bearhug and refuse to let go until it suits the glomper. The glompee may or may not enjoy this.

All clear?
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

lol, glomp away my dear ;D

Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

:o
I Love Goblins
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It is the personal messages that out people off sometimes.

The community can be close, and has its factions too, but it is when people talk in jargon they get a bit left out.

Sometimes I come on here wondering what the hell people are talking about, there is a definate circle of friends who seem to have a lot in common, and they seem to make most of the posts around here.  It does seem to alienate people, as I said, I have felt a bit like that on occasion.

Examples:
EDIT - does anyone save Emii know what glomping is...i have yet to discover it

Posted by: Emii      Posted on: Today at 12:38pm
*jumps up and down waving arms around* oOo oOo oOo I do! I do!
Posted by: Gerz      Posted on: Today at 12:41pm
Sorry, just me then. I get a bit paraniod or whatever sometimes..Sorry
Posted by: Pickle ^_^      Posted on: Today at 12:41pm
well...you feel like telling me? pretty please?

That is General, not General Knightmare.  I go for the motion to have a General Chat board up here now NKTP is useless, then personal convos can be kept there.

I think it would help if more of you came to Knightmare Chat [out of interest, why don't you?], that way the new people could get to know everyone else quicker and easier.

Tis the personal referencing on here anyway, I do believe that is one of the reasons people make 1 or 2 posts then dash off....My opinion anyway.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Yeah sorry bout that, K - it just came up in the general conversation. No harm done though, eh? We'd enevr get anywhere if we didn't deviate or associate sometimes...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Harm has been done, someone left the forums yesterday because of it.

Sure being friendly is fine, but not at the expense of another user or users.  It is not only-so-often, either, it is frequent that posts turn into personal chats.

MSN etc is handy, if not then having a Gen Chat forum may help, unless anyone is hugely against it.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I was talking about the glomping not causing harm.
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

It was obviously tongue in cheek, if that shift and blend person left because she was too sensitive or maybe misunderstood what it said.
So it is not Emii's flaut, she was just trying to make her welcome and get her invovled!
I Love Goblins