A way to live forever...

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

A way to live forever...

Post by Malefact »

A thought occurs. Having seen all the test graphics and the pilot of TimeGate (stunning graphics) and read all about the RAP system, it might be possible in the future to recreate yourself as an avatar in a virtual world for people to visit.

Some characters already created are artificially intelligent. What's needed is an AI shell that can be filled with a person's knowledge. In a way, that person will therefore be able to live forever!

Does that sound far-fetched?
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: A way to live forever...

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I think the fact I won't live forever is what gives everyone I know the will to live. Please don't deny them this small comfort in their otherwise ravaged existence.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

The problem with your method is that it wouldn't be you - it would just be a computer simulation of you, with your personality, memories and mannerisms. It is able to think and act like you, but it isn't you.

Recall the character of Rimmer from Red Dwarf. He is exactly what you have described. In Series 8 of the show, when he is "recreated", he does not remember ever being a hologram - that's your flaw. The hologram Rimmer and the real Rimmer are different entities.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

"Please rush me my portable walrus-polishing kit."

I knew someone was going to mention him. <¦-)

Oh, and - "Mind the bus! What bus? Splat!"
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

Lol I love that episode of Red Dwarf "Better then Life"

A scene a bit later in it is good

Lister is reading Rimmer Letter from Rimmers mother, he has already commented that Rimmers mothers handwritting is bad and is halfway through the letter (As Rimmer is a soft light hologram I.E cant touch owt)

Lister: "..'I am writting to infrom you that your father is dad..'"
Lister looks up from the letter
Lister: "Well of course he is dad.."
Rimmer looks upset and interupts: "My father is dead Lister, it saids my fatehr is dead"
Lister looks happy that he can now read it and saids happily "Oh yes Rimmer, your father is Dead" he then releases what the means and looks a sorry "Oh sorry man"
LOL Great stuff.
I Love Goblins
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hehe! I got the Red Dwarf II DVD last week and I saw that one for the first time. Funny!  ;D

KC: I've been working on an intelligence shell that absorbs everything given to it and gradually builds up into a copy of the user. Nuances and all. It even has a sense of humour! I understand that it wouldn't really be ME - just an approximate copy - but it's better than nothing. People could interact with it in the far future and at least get some vague idea of what I was like.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Recall the character of Rimmer from Red Dwarf. He is exactly what you have described. In Series 8 of the show, when he is "recreated", he does not remember ever being a hologram - that's your flaw. The hologram Rimmer and the real Rimmer are different entities.
Oh dear, I can just hear all those evil arguments about personal identity. Let's not get into Lockeian arguments for psychological continuity. *shudder*
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hehe!  ;D

All I shall say is that it would not actually be me personally, but a rough representation - a mental footprint, if you will. I've finished, now!  :)
Subject to change.