Darth Vader banned from official Star Wars conventions.

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Darth Vader banned from official Star Wars conventions.

Post by BBrooks »

I enjoy the "Star Wars" films but I'm not a mega-fan, but I read about this in the news on Sunday, you've all probably read about it by now, but if you haven't then here it is. George Lucas has deemed it fit to ban "Darth Vader" actor Dave Prowse from any future Lucas Film related conventions and events.
This is a statement of Dave's official site,

It is with regret that I have been informed by my friends at C2 Ventures, Ben and Phillip, that I am not to be invited to C5 this year or any other Lucas Film associated events. After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have "burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself" - no other reason given.

I have also been advised by the promoter of Paris Manga in September that LFL have requested no photo opportunities with the 501 Squadron, even though I am commander in chief of the 501.

Sincere apologies to all my fans who were hoping to meet with me - I shall miss you too. As you will see from my events page I will be at many conventions all over the world so we can still keep in touch.

Apparently the story goes that he and Lucas have had somewhat of a feud for nearly 30 years now which started when Lucas accused Prowse of leaking some of the plot of "Return of the Jedi" to the press. Something which Prowse has always strongly denied doing.

Sorry if there's any Lucas lovers on here but I think it's terrible how he can do this, Prowse semi-retired from Acting years ago, he's had two hip replacements and has just beaten Cancer so his only income nowadays is through personal appearances and conventions which he loves doing.
Thats now been unfairly taken away from him, I've seen interviews with Prowse on television over the years and he's always come across as a Nice Man and a True Gentleman. To say he's been unfairly treated by Lucas Film is an under-statement, he still doesn't get his full share of the royalties from the franchise either.

Banning Darth Vader from a "Star Wars" Convention is like banning the Queen from attending the "Royal Variety Peformance". :)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, I'm entirely on Prowse's side.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Darth Vader banned from official Star Wars conventions.

Post by HStorm »

Prowse has given as good as he's got down the years; I remember in '99 he absolutely lambasted The Phantom Menace in a series of magazine interviews, at the end of one of which, he said he'd like to play Vader again at the end of the third prequel. I recall thinking, "Given Lucas' ego, and what you've just said - fat chance!"

I'm afraid this business tells us very little about George Lucas that we didn't already know.
Rich
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Darth Vader banned from official Star Wars conventions.

Post by Rich »

Old man Lucas is clearly an idiot.

I mean come on, he gave us Jar Jar Binks in the prequel trilogy, and ruined the originals with the crap "special editions". I only hope the rumoured third trilogy is better, which according to supershadow.com will be released in 2017, 40 years after episode 4's original release.