Series 8, Episode 10

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 8, Episode 10

Post by Malefact »

I got there first this time. :)

So, this is (at the time of writing) the last episode of Km.
Subject to change.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 8, Episode 10

Post by WillsOfDoom »

Indeed. A solemn occasion.
Do you think Knightmare should have ended with a death, or a win? I'm all for a death I'm afraid. A really grisly one, a final Oooh Nasty to mark the show as one of the toughest around.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

We get to see a winning quest today! In my opinion though, I think the winning quest could have been drawn out to fill the final episode - therefore ending the series on a big win! As it is, they started a new quest and it got cut short before they could get through level 3.

Interesting to see the team use the Reach wand as a remote key! Did you notice the dungeoneer waving it about - whoever moved the cursor must have had to listen to the team's instructions, and carefully watch what the dungeoneer did with the wand!

The Paladin spell was interesting - Dunstan turned into a warrior, and all of LF's fireballs just hit his shield without affecting him.

After rescuing Hordriss, they escaped through a sewer tunnel. Hordriss must have been getting messages in an earpiece to tell him when to lean left and right as the platform moved. Dunstan didn't move at all ;)

Now, the winning teams pictures are immortalised in a Hall of Fame, though I assume they also get their certificates with the FrightKnight trophies.

Notice with the new team how they almost took the key, and Treguard kept telling them to think of what the scroll said! Why didn't he just say "Take the book and the rod"? ;D

Next, Motley being flown around in the air by Sidriss's magic! After giving Sidriss the book, Motley came down and Sidriss gave them a spell of dragon-charming! They used the charm on Smirkenoff to persuade him to give them a spell to slow down the Corridor of Blades (after LF speeded it up). Quite amusing to see the charm take effect and then wear off!

They used the stick to reveal a doorway to the CoB in the trapdoor room. Same technique as using the Reach wand, with a different cursor.

Did you notice, in the Corridor of Blades, they didn't bother spellcasting the BURST spell - or even activating it in any way! Still, the blades were slowed down to normal speed...

In the spy-glass scene, we learn that Lissard puts a fake shield in the quest chamber. However, a fireball came up to the spy-glass just as critical information was being given, and they had to put it down before Lissard said which shield was the real one!

"Which is the real one, the one on the left or the right?" "The real one is the one..." *put it down*

Sadly they never managed to get up to the quest chamber, as the Bells of Marblehead signalled the end of the season in the very next chamber! Notice that when they pick up the food, you hear the sound effect that indicates the life force was restored - but no pie in the corner of the screen!

And finally, we see Smirkenoff in flight to rescue the dungeoneer! Real nice CGI background for Smirkenoff's flight during the episode and over the end credits! Shame it was never used in a quest.

Classic lines in the spy-glass scenes
Lissard: "It will engulf anyone who touches it in a fireballness!"
Lord Fear: "A fireball...ness?"

Lord Fear: "I'm thinking of calling it Virtual Reality ... if you make something new, give it a really impressive name!"
Last edited by Tom41 on 04 Jun 2004, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Well for the last team I couldn't help feeling that level 1 was shorter than usual, or at least fewer rooms.

Notice that the shield in the final quest is a different one to that on s7. Also did anyone spot the extra hand at the start of the final teams' quest that appeared from the dungeon.
Last edited by TheBrollachan on 04 Jun 2004, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

As the Challenge announcer said, this really was 'the end of an era'. Many years ago this entire episode was available to download via Knightmare.com, but this was before the age of broadband, so it took ages to download, and was affecting webspace. Still, Dunstan's team triumphed in the end, giving Series 8 at least one winning quest. Oliver's team did fairly well, it was a bit silly them taking the stick and key at the start, but Advisor Anthony was responsible for some AMAZING directions in the Corridor of Blades. None of this "Ok, go left- NO, LEFT! RIGHT! RIGHT! RIGHT! STOP! NO! LEFT!" stuff, but simple clear instructions- "Left. Duck. Right. Stay there. Left. Right. Duck. Walk forward. Sidestep left" and so on. I wonder if Lord Fear's dig at Virtual Reality was a sly nod to Virtually Impossible, the show that replaced Knightmare's time slot for the rest of the year? It seems that the team may have picked the wrong shield if there had been an episode 11, as they put the spyglass down before Lissard revealed the right one- "The correct shield is the one on...". Still, it's a shame that the team were literally stopped in their tracks, although Lord Fear's end line was a great one to end 8 years of Knightmare. I notice the hall of fame at the end also contained Julie and Barry's team, with an empty frame at the end, indicating that some day, Knightmare may return. And it will!

On Monday, Challenge does a Sam Beckett and leaps back 8 years to the first episode of Knightmare. I can't wait!
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

I liked it but i wish that the final team would have moved faster through all the rooms. if they did then i think they could have made it. Ah well. I agree with the great directions in the corridor of blades. I think if this team was on from the start they might have won but time always wins(grrr it).

I miss knightmare already and its only been an hour:(
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Good to see another team win, they could have had a longer final encounter. Dunstan didn't really have to do anything apart from uncorking the bottle- which they had been dying to do for the past 15 minutes!

Even though dungeoneers never seem to listen to their advisors, they step up there gameplan when Hordriss is shouting the commands!

I would have though that they would have more Treguard/Majida dialogue in light of the victory, it seemed to be a little bitty with not much excitement.

Not sure if they should have used the shortcut again. Maybe a shorter but complete quest just to make up the time, not retriving the shield or whatever but to "free the maid" or "to save the dungeon" or something in a different environment from the levels.

We've found out what they do during the breaks now: go on holiday! Somewere sunny for Lord Fear and somewhere damp for Lissard.

The season didn't end in a particularly exciting way, shame that Knightmare didn't go out with a bang (or a crash as has been usual)
Last edited by HarveyTowers on 08 Jun 2004, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Even though Series 8 didn't end with something that we would like but remember if the graphics wern't pushed as far as they could go in Series 8 then Knightmare VR might not be in develpoment but we would have Series 7 type graphics for Series 8.

So in my opinion, Series 8 Graphics wise has paved the way to KMVR.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

I liked it but i wish that the final team would have moved faster through all the rooms. if they did then i think they could have made it. Ah well. I agree with the great directions in the corridor of blades. I think if this team was on from the start they might have won but time always wins(grrr it).
There is no way the last team could have won even if they did hurry up as there simply would not have been enough time, Even if they had a dedicated full episode, I'm sure they still would not have reached the end even with the short cut. Dunstan's win was streched out over 1 full episode and 2 half episodes dont forget
I miss knightmare already and its only been an hour:(
Me too, but not too long to wait until we see Series 1 again, I really cant wait for this. Sadly I never recorded any series of Knightmare when it was on CITV, and I never had Sfi Fi when it was repeated on there so on Monday, I will finally be seeing Knightmare series 1 again for the first time in nearly 17 years, Its truely going to be an exciting moment(For me anyway)

Anyway back to the episode in Question. It was a good last show, but it never really ended on an exciting note.

Dunstan's quest was a good one, but he never really had any hard puzzles to do apart from the COB which he did nearly die in when watched again, but he does clearly survive, Still good guiding by the advisors all around made it a good win :)

Also noticed for the last team, they tryed to speed it up a little to give the team a small chance on winning, but obviously it was too big a task to win, like when he started, he went straight into the clue room, and Level 1 Seemed incredibly Short.
Also the Burst spell was obviously self activating as when Oliver went in, the Blades were down to the normal speed, Some Brilliant Guiding by the advisors here incidently and I loved how Oliver never paniced here either like most people have done.
Last edited by Porsmond on 04 Jun 2004, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Those of you suggesting ways that they should have ended the series since it was the last one have to remember that they didn't know and realise that it was the last series at the time. There was suggestions that it wasn't going to be the last series and also when they episode was broadcast on CITV originally, at the end they were advertising for contestants for series 9. Also at the end Treguard send Smirkenorff to rescue Oliver. We only catch when he begins his flight. We don't see if Smirkenorff gets there in time nor if anything happens to the dungeon. Also rmember that Lord Fear was going "somewhere hot" and Lissard was going "somewhere damp". For all we know is that they might've not come back again. Maybe there was no Portall for them to get back.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

^They did know it was the end.

A poor win... missed out level 2, and no real puzzles..

Well we may not have had a Red dragon or Troll to fight off at the end.. but you have to look at it another way... This was the Episode Lord fear could have won a WHOLE SEASON. They HAD to win. and I'm sure if the 1st team didn't they would have made time for the 2nd one way or another.... so to be far it wasn't a bad last episode..very close, Also liked the idea of not having a 'big finish' for two reasons.. 1. we had it past 2 seasons, and 2nd..it was the last ep ever. Not alot you could have done with the last team, and the team before had to win, and i doubt they wanted to repeat season 7..
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

No, at the time they didn't know. That's why after that episode they advertised for contestants for a possible series 9 (see the KM.com website- it wasn't, of course, transmitted on Challenge as it would get some people's hopes up).

Notice also that the last eyeshield sequence turned red. No fireball ths time. Good. They were just a bit overused.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The fade to red was used a couple of times in the series, probably just for a bit of variation.
Subject to change.
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

I wish for the fnal team of series 8 that they would have given them a full level 1 then a skip to half way through level 3 by giving them the swinging axe room on the series 4 episode 1 cedits. that would have been a better shortcut and made it much more challenging and if they'd made it throught it then they would have been worthy to skip to near the end of level 3. now that would have been cool
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Y'know that's a relly good idea. Certainly their credibility as champions whould've been much-enhanced if they'd had to do that.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.