why series 6 is my favourite...

rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

why series 6 is my favourite...

Post by rachelesque »

ive been thinking and ive decided series 6 is my favourite.  i think i am one of only a few people who share this view (most people like series 3 the mostest).

series 6 had very cool puzzles.  they had the causeways and blockers tweaked by now and they were fast paced, yet do-able.  a couple of teams died on causeways, but overall the floor puzzles were at their peak and did'nt take too long.

lots of collecting letters and numbers from scrolls and parts of quest, all good.

series 6 only had 7 teams and 1 winning quest.  this meant each quest lasted quite a while and you got a chance to see each team a lot and get to know them.

sure, series 6 mightn't have any of the memorable deaths (on a somewhat morbid note) like 'simon step left' but who can forget the evilness of the dreadnaught and who didn't feel sorry for sofia as she didnt earn the diploma to get across the final causeway.  so close, yet so far.  and of course, sylvester's big moment.

there was a nice use of magic in series 6.  none of the sight and look spells/potions of the later series, but useful little spells that were interesting: 'trick' or 'treat', 'splash', 'backfire' and the fantastic start to the series where they needed the 'escape' spell to get out.  this scene forced into my head that teams should always look at scrolls before using spyglasses.

the other enemies were cool, you were never sure whether the witches were friend or foe (similar to Hordriss' role in the early series), Lord Fear sticking his hand into an adventure, many pookas, ariadne made an appearence, julius was back, a lot of the classic knightmare that i remember was series 6.

although,  i never liked captain nemor that much.  silly pompus man.

however, the part i loved a lot about series 6 was the 'friendly' characters.  ah wok was classic, who can forget him?  the accent that would probably get banned for political incorrectness today :)

elita was fantastic, elita and smirkenorf.  sure, she was an annoying brat but she was a believable character who i think you could rely on.

ah yes, and ridolfo  ;D  we like ridolfo.  i would like ridolfo in the stocks some more etc.  i think he was really underused, the whole side plots involving him and that guys wife (k reminded me of this the other day, watch the series carefully and you will see fleeting references to a friend of lord fear's wife having an affair with ridolfo, 'i saw his wife a little, well, i saw his wife a lot').

the book used at the start of the episodes was the best start of episodes i think.  it was concise, clear, pretty and gave pickle a real job/purpose other than been there.

finally, the end of the series was the best series ever.  that dragon terrified me, the images of him flying through the stars, almost magenta were wonderful.

so yeah, series 6 rocked.  discuss  ;)
Last edited by rachelesque on 22 May 2003, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: why series 6 is my favourite...

Post by Pickle123 »

you fight a good case.

Unfortunetly i don't feel qualified to discuss as all i REALLY know of series 1-4 is what ive read from this website. WHEN, and let me stress, WHEN i have the dvd's i can make a proper judgement.

I also remember getting the scroll then spyglass thing beat into me. However, julius scaramonger just annoyed the hell out of me.

now this is gonna sound weird because im not totally sure of what im saying and i dont even know if this was series six...I seem to have some fleeting memory of pickle running into the kightmare dungeons to help a dungeoneer...much to the annoyance of treguard. in my warped mind i only remember this happening once but as i type this im begining to believe i dreamed it (i was very little). Did this ever happen? if not, it should of because in the dream pickle rocked most mightily  
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

No, you're not dreaming, he definitely did this. I don't know in which series it was though.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

It was in Series 4, in the same episode where letters started appearing in the rooms (behind the drawbridge, and so on). I clearly remember forgetting to tape it.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

Ahhh, thanks guys...I won't tell you how many years I've been pondering over that...OMG this means I've def. seen knightmare from series 4 onward. I can't remember much as you see but I was def. watching every week by that time. :D

EDIT-

sorry, ive totaly led this off topic...to swing it back on...

As I said I'm not sure which particular series is my fave but I know it's one of the earlier one. I remember getting annoyed when the eyeshield and new helmet came in...not much but a bit. and also thinking the reach wand was the most pants thing ever! I also prefered pickle over majida.

so if anyone fancies adding all that up and telling me what my fave series was...go ahead ;D

ill correct you if nesscery when the DVD's come out
Last edited by Pickle123 on 23 May 2003, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I seem to have some fleeting memory of pickle running into the kightmare dungeons to help a dungeoneer...much to the annoyance of treguard. in my warped mind i only remember this happening once but as i type this im begining to believe i dreamed it (i was very little). Did this ever happen? if not, it should of because in the dream pickle rocked most mightily  
It was Series 4 Team 4 - Simon's team

I agree about series 6 being the best, all the teams were superb, the graphics excellent and the causeways frightening
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Reminds me when I saw a scene from when I first watched Knightmare that also mean't I had been a watcher since series 4 (Dickon winning his quest)

I agree series 6 was certainly when Knightmare was at its best, technology wise all the quests were long one winner, great comedy like end of season team! Januarys hilarious exit (I av to blw my orn!)
clairefear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by clairefear »

Series 6 is my favourite for a number of reasons. Firstly, atmosphere. The music in the causeway scenes, the dreadnought and the different outdoor scenes are very engaging.

Gameplay. It is now easy to see what a team is meant to be looking for on each level and adds to the tension if they have to bargain with a character for a particular object.

Last, the teams of this series were, in my humble opinion, quite memorable, especially Sophia's team who were very unlucky to fail at the final obstacle.
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Sophias was one of the best teams that never won, very bright intelligent and brave for what looked a very young team of 11 year olds! It was just one error when answering Hordriss's Diploma questions that cost them with that cliffhanger end of episode on the Great Causeway. High praise for calling Elita a Faceache! lol
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Series 6 is certainly one of the best, and if you had never seen an episode of Knightmare before, I'd show you the first few of Series 6, because it encompasses all the best elements - the floor puzzles, Treguard plus one assistant, Lord Fear, henchmen, Pookas and Geists, and most of all - it's scary. One of the scariest, actually. I'm not sure why, but I've always thought this, and I stick by my thoughts about it!

It might be Dreadnort. I was always disturbed by him.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yes series 6 was the best of the lot for me! It raised the bar so high from the first 5 series. The atmospheric music (especially when a dungeneer was about to die), the sound effects, the excellent dwarf tunnels (a huge step up from the dwarf tunnels from series 3), Lord Fear was at his best, had the best teams (well,apart from Barry and his team from series 7!), excellent characters like Ah Wok and Sidress, and 2 of my fav dungeneers Ben and Sophia. Ben totally got into the role perfectly and Sophia was no nonsense and I love the way she said to Elita 'Your a faceache' too!! Just a shame she didn't win and that was the only bad note of series 6.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

It's been so long since I viewed an actual episode on Television - we din't get Challenge TV until Knightmare had been taken off.. still waiting for them to show the shows again, will it ever happen? :'(

Episode 6 if I remember and it has been mentioned, was when Treguard was more benevolent to the dungeoneers and wasn't as impartial as previous shows, and of course he had assistants with him in the chamber, and we were introduced to great nasties like the Pookas and Dreadnoughts.

If I watch any shows now it has to be segments on YouTube, haven't seen an actual tv broadcast since maybe the show ended in the 1990s unfortunately.
SpectralScorpion
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SpectralScorpion »

Series 6 is excellent. For me it was essentially a tidying up of Series 5: Series 5 lay down the groundwork for going 'outside' the dungeon, and Series 6 finetuned those elements. Little things like the music, the causeway timer and Smirkenorff's voice made it great, and because the rooms were less obstacle-y it meant the characters had to have more personality, and thus brought out some great acting in the cast. :)
SpectralScorpion (n) - One who is forever condemned to eat his words by his own brash arrogance. XD
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

What i thought of S6:
Let's get the worst over first with this one. The new mellow arrangement of the theme music didn't do anything for me. I much prefer the dramatic original, altho the 2nd version was good as well.
The new opening visual didn't really appeal either. You can see what the designers were aiming for, but somehow it didn't quite seem to work.
Finally, the new life-force sequence was very disappointing.
:question: Why on earth did they feel the need to change it? The original life-force clock was one of the iconic features of Knightmare. At least it got one last, surprise appearance during the series....

But onto the better aspects.
There was a vast improvement from S5. The pace of the quests had improved dramatically and seemed much more action-packed. The number of interminably slow eye-shield sequences were dramatically reduced and were far shorter when they did appear.
The causeways were again excellent and the timer was a great idea, adding more pressure.

There were some good familiar faces: Hordriss, Motley, Scaramonger, Hands and, of course, Elita. :)
The new characters were generally a good selection. I thought Sidriss-the-confused might be a bit annoying at first, but i quite warmed to her as time went on. Greystagg was a nicely ambivelant character, but sadly didn't have enough screen time.
I thought the character Nemanor seemed a bit out of place, but i really enjoyed Adrian Neil's other role: Ridolpho, :) the charming minstrel. A real shame that he only appeared in one series. Ridolpho gave Elita a run for my money as the most enjoyable character in S6. :)
Heggatty was ok, made me think of Mistress Goody from S4.
Not sure how Ah-Wok got past the politically-correct sensors.... 8-o
The dreadnort seemed rather bland. I prefer the blockers as they are vaguely reminiscent of the early wall monsters.

There were only seven teams, but they were an excellent selection. Not a single disappointing team this time round, really enthusiastic and competent. A couple of them could easily be rated amongst the Knightmare elite. 8)
:question: Did the producers change something about the auditioning process for S6? :question:

Overall, S6 doesn't compare to the classics S2 & S3, but it was still a welcome return to form.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D