Series 6 Ep 11

JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 6 Ep 11 - Great Causeway

Post by JamesA »

Not sure if anyone's seen this one before (I don't recall it ever being linked to on here) but I recently came across an excellent 3D Studio Max recreation of the Great Causeway encountered by Ben and his team.

You can view the video recreation via the following link:
http://youtu.be/4QBFustfShY
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 6 Ep 11 - Great Causeway

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Love this. One of my fav puzzles in Knightmare and a highlight of series 6. Of course brings back memories of Ben's team successfully crossing it and Sophia perishing. The sound effects are spot on and you can feel the tension. A great job all round.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6 Ep 11

Post by wombstar »

Causeways were always a highlight... always kept me on the edge my seat.
This is a awesome re-creation.

But I often wondered why the teams didn't just run across? lol
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:Causeways were always a highlight... always kept me on the edge my seat.
This is a awesome re-creation.

But I often wondered why the teams didn't just run across? lol
Ha! I guess if they tried that, they would of got a ticking off from Tim! I wonder if any team crossing a causeway tried to do that though?! ;D
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

They'd have simply been killed.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I wonder how they would have been killed off?
Maybe have to re-film the room or something, or let it happen and blow them up in a bomb room straight afterwards. It's just odd there was nothing really stopping them from doing it.

perhaps I was a good thing I never got a go on the show, because it's the sort of think I would have wanted to try :P
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

No, the causeway would just fall under the dungeoneer's feet.

The dungeoneer might have been too quick for the man in the gallery to make the blocks disappear live, i.e. as the game way being played. However, that just has the effect that the advisors' screens are turned off and the team are told that they've died.

They then use the same footage, but apply the virtual environment differently so that the blocks fall correctly.

They'd do that with or without the team's assistance. With the team's assistance, it could be done more realistically. Without it, they'd just show the dungeoneer falling in a comical straight line.

Similarly, people have wondered what the effect of lying down in the corridor of blades would be. You can be fairly (but not entirely) certain that it would result in either:

a) The team being told to behave; or
b) The team being told that they've died, whereupon the transmitted blades footage would be edited to show some kind of vertical blade spinning down the corridor. The fact that the team never SAW that is really neither here nor there.

This is, of course, all entirely dependent on Tim's attitude towards teams "thinking outside the box".
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:Similarly, people have wondered what the effect of lying down in the corridor of blades would be. You can be fairly (but not entirely) certain that it would result in either:

b) The team being told that they've died, whereupon the transmitted blades footage would be edited to show some kind of vertical blade spinning down the corridor. The fact that the team never SAW that is really neither here nor there.

This is, of course, all entirely dependent on Tim's attitude towards teams "thinking outside the box".
Yes, I was quite surprised by the part in James' recent video (just after the 7 minute mark) where Tim said one dungeoneer *did* lie down in the Corridor of Blades, which meant they had to redesign it so that nobody could do it again!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:No, the causeway would just fall under the dungeoneer's feet.

The dungeoneer might have been too quick for the man in the gallery to make the blocks disappear live, i.e. as the game way being played. However, that just has the effect that the advisors' screens are turned off and the team are told that they've died.

They then use the same footage, but apply the virtual environment differently so that the blocks fall correctly.

They'd do that with or without the team's assistance. With the team's assistance, it could be done more realistically. Without it, they'd just show the dungeoneer falling in a comical straight line.

Similarly, people have wondered what the effect of lying down in the corridor of blades would be. You can be fairly (but not entirely) certain that it would result in either:

I suppose if a dungeoneer was advised to lie down during the corridor of blades, looking at it from a team's point of view it was how to overcome the blades. To them they would think it's the best solution. From a viewers point of view, I would say it was a smart move and wouldn't think there was anything wrong with what the team did.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Never thought about the blades, I think that's using your head, personally.
But running across the causeway is a bit cheeky. Always ask Tregaurd first. lol

Maybe if they ran across the timer would just speed up and the whole thing would collapse.
Same goes with the combat chess room, you could easily just run out the room if you were allowed. I think most teams probably know they would get away with doing that. But as a kid I ways shouted at the screen for them to just run :P
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The blades is a slightly different issue really.
In the case of the causeway or the chess room, you're supposed to "die" if you stand in the wrong place. The fact that there's a delay for technical or artistic reasons isn't part of "the game".

In the case of the blades, it could be seen as a creative solution to the problem.
Tim's reference could be one of two things:

1) I seem to recall Tim saying such a thing in specific reference to the "half height blades". However, I may have invented this. The first time the blades are seen, do the half height blades feature at all?

I realise it wouldn't solve the lying down problem, but it would solve the "crouching down" problem. I don't think a dungeoneer would be *able* to lie down completely because of the knapsack, items, placement of the microphone, etc. etc.

2) The corridor of blades was redesigned for Geek Week.

That could be what he was referring to.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:1) I seem to recall Tim saying such a thing in specific reference to the "half height blades". However, I may have invented this. The first time the blades are seen, do the half height blades feature at all?
Yeah, the blade sequence that we saw on TV was always the same right from the beginning, so I assume the added feature (whatever it was) never had to be used in the end.
Mystara wrote:2) The corridor of blades was redesigned for Geek Week.
Oh really?! >:-] That's something to look forward to!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yeah that would be something to look forward to! Going back to the great causeway it is my fav puzzle in terms of tension (especially with the sound effects and the knight's sword) and the atmosphere of the room itself.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Unfortunately, it wasn't filmed.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I loved the previous great causeway in series 5.