Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 4

Post by Kieran »

So who did Erin Geraghty play then  :-/

The Barbarian?

hum.

Anyhow, S4.

It was a BIG change for the dungeon, it was time to take it outside, as it were.  Pickle was a nice new element, and some of the real locations (such as the Dunswater, the Castle in L3 (the stairs) and the Inn) were fabulous to look at.  I found Oakley fantastic, although I am not sure exactly what he could do to harm you, shake his leaves on you?

There was a huge character overhaul.  Moggy was hardly used, although the encounter on the bridge in level 3 is magical (probably one of his best scenes), and teams ones death was superb.

The idea of the spindizzy at the start was a nice idea, and the ante chamber had a new warmth to it, even though it looked more creapy.

However, the tema that won WAS quite smart, but I dont think they were pushed too hard, certainly not aS hard as any other winning quest (bar S8).  Their final task was....er, well, scare off a large skull, so it seemed.

Other than that, that quest was memorable (mostly for the Brandy trick).  Michael Cule fumbling for the Joker had me in stitches when I watched it, and still does today.  His beedy eyes scanning the production team making sure nobody shouts "cut".

But the quests were very very repetitive, except the two lats quests, which had a few minor new elements in them.

And everything (even the ante chamber!) was PURPLE!  PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE!  (except the Eye Shield Room and the spindizy).

Worst bit: Too repetitive!
Worst character: Has to be Malis, I mean she was Morghanna (even had her costume!), yet nicer, and stupider when it came to killing dungeoneers (which she failed to do!)  Merlin has to take equal honours here, he was more like some kind of beggar in a potato sack.
Best bit: Atmosphere and the brandy idea :)
Best character: Fatilla was good, but I think.....Pickle, he was at his best in S4 IMO

Overall: 7/10

Has a few too many flaws, and some characters were useless, but other than that, it has good elements and the KM spirit to make it, as always, super stuff.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

So who did Erin Geraghty play then  :-/ The Barbarian?
Quite possibly since I wouldn't have thought the Barbarian could be Michael Cule as well since he looks nowt like him (Either that or ruddy good make up!)! I can't think of anyone else it could be, not out of the regulars anyway.

One thing about Series 4, what was Tim Child thinking when the "Uppers" and "Downers" pills were incorporated into the quests? Some serious Drug promotion in the dungeon...nice!  ;D
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

teams ones death was superb.
I meant to say that too. It's quite a satisfying death really. They've not lost because they mis-stepped on a floor puzzle, or missed a riddle. And they're obviously not stupid. It just looks like they were out-thought. The problem was there, and they didn't quite solve it. One of my favourites, I have to say.

I also wanted to mention Team 5, who I felt sorry for. I was pretty confused by Merlin's opposites, too.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Whoops!  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The Ogre looks worryingly reminiscent of Brian Blessed in this pic. I wonder if it was based on him. ;)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Okay, finally time to mention what I didn't like. Some of these I've talked about already:

- The shape of the season. See above.
- The laziness of some of the storywriting (especially the darn stocks). See above.
- Mistress Goody. I guess she's kind of a replacement for Mrs. Grimwold. Although Mrs. G. had got annoying by the end of S3, I much preferred both her and Mildread to Jade's Aunt from S4.
- Some of the outdoor scenes. The purpling gets a little annoying in some cases, and some are just a bit bland for my tastes, although the most bland were to come later.

I'm half tempted to include the Weeping Doors, which I just found dull after a while. The idea to require more correct answers for passage in later levels is a good one, though. :)