stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: stop bashing season 4 so much!(long read)

Post by Pooka »

My main problem with series 4 is that it's incredibly repetitive. Treguard and Pickle say exactly the same things in each and every quest, so much so that by the end of the series, you can speak along with them. This was particularly evident on Challenge, when it was on every day, rather than every week, and therefore it was done with more frequency! And thus, I think that Hugo and David are somewhat wasted, insofar as they are very talented actors and didn't really get to shine as they do in other series, such as series 6, where they are allowed much more scope.

With longer quests, like Dickon's, you do get a sense of more variety than you did with the teams that only reached level 2, plus we have the addition of more floor puzzles, such as the perennial CoB, and the Block & Tackle, which is good. Plus we have the introduction of outdoor scenes, which I found quite tiresome, but I did enjoy new settings like the Crazed Heifer and the introduction of pookas (although Treguard always called them "hauntings" back then). And some of my favourite M characters, like Motley, Melly and Mace were used well (although Merlin wasn't - the most powerful wizard ever stuck in the stocks? Oh, please!).

So, yeah, there were some good elements of series 4, and the show was brave for attempting such a dramatic change in direction. But for a period of transition, series 4 just seemed to me to be taking far too long to find its feet, and I think it's only by series 5 that they really got a more thorough grounding in exactly how the show was going to be put together.

In short - no, I don't like it. But give it time, and they'll get it right eventually. And guess what? They did!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I have to agree with your assessment with season 4. It's incredibly repetitive.
In fact, in most cases, I think the rooms themselves follow the same sequence. I reckon you could watch most of the show in fast forward :)

Ironically, though, I think series 4 is fairly close to what TC was trying to make. It does have a very continuous dungeon/questing theme to it. As you say, I think it's just a bit too repetitive though.
Redthir
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Redthir »

My personal view on Series 4 is mixed, but it does have some downfalls:

Weeping Doors: I HATE those bloody weeping doors. They annoy me one hell of a lot with their none stop crying, Dooris in particular.
Level 2: Gundrada usually ends up doing about two thirds of it which can be irritating, as it kind of ruins the idea of having the advisors.
I also really don't like Fatilla the Hun. Sure, Olaf was slightly thick but Fatilla the Hun is so stupid it's utterly ridiculous.
The last one is that I think it's too slow paced, and can drag on somewhat.

That being said, it does have some epic moments:

Mogdred brutally killing the first team.
"Simon, sidestep to your left!"
Merlin talking in opposites and confusing the hell out of the team (and at points me).

At first I really didn't like Pickle, but he grew on me and I now quite like him.