Series 3 - Episode 16

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: End of Season

Post by Malefact »

Blimey! It sounds like quite a melting pot for accents.

(Americans are rather noticable, aren't they?  ;) )

HOLY COW!
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Team 12 Series 3

Post by Fidjit »

I would have loved to see what the FLIGHT spell did in Chris Reeves' quest. My guess is that it would be used at the bridge scene

Just like Karen's quest Series 2 Team 13 (viewed in the second page of the LEVEL 2 menu)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 4...

Post by Fidjit »

In Series 3, Team 12 (Last Team) were asked by Hordriss to retrieve an Hourglass in return for a step-clue and a SPEED spell. Do you suppose that was what triggered those pacts in Series 4?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 4...

Post by Fidjit »

Heyo?
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 4...

Post by Wolfshead »

Yeah I reckon it was

I liked the pats of series 4

Hodris was certainly neutral, and so was Malice for the most part.

Imagine what it would've been like to see Hordris cromble the bridge in level 3.

here's another thought, she said to one team that if they had chosen the sword she would have had to kill them. Would she do that or say that if they had chosen say the crown she would have to kill them.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 3 - Final episode (16)

Post by Tom41 »

I didn't get my tape positioned in time to get the intro of this episode, but at least I saw the first bit ;). If my calculations are right, the time-out of the previous episode should almost seamlessly integrate into the start of adventuring this episode! ;D

Gained a SPEED spell from Hordriss.

What was the point of the next room though? They just put the herbs in the cauldron, causing two skulls to come out of it - then had to exit! Look closely and you'll see the shadow of the blue steps leading up to the cauldron. I guess these were used when the cauldron turned into a wellway in other quests.

In the clue room, the table was in an unusual place! Chris was just about to put the pie in his knapsack when the wall monster (Brangwen) called out to stop! Scored 2/3 on the riddles and gained a 'step' clue. I liked one adviser reciting the 'one two buckle my shoe' rhyme to himself ;) They didn't give an answer in time and Brangwen went onto the next riddle!

Used the SPEED spell to race through the dwarf tunnel, away from a chasing ogre! Looks like this team was the one who described the man coming up behind him, doesn't look too friendly etc. Perhaps I was remembering this episode when I thought Challenge made an edit in an earlier episode!

In the green valley area, there were two people running around in the background. Looked almost like Sidriss was being chased by goblins - but Sidriss didn't appear until the next series!
Chris got trapped by 4 goblins, the only escape being (unusually) the cave at the bend of the path!

Next corridor, all they had to do was walk forwards to pick up the energy tree and get out - but for some reason decided to make Chris do a few sidesteps!

Encountered Hordriss again, and gave him the hourglass as part of the pact. Hordriss clearly isn't definitely on any one side, since he silenced Treguard - and chased off the goblins with a magic sword! Gained a 'step' clue from Hordriss.

Next, a 9-square puzzle covered the screen. After a prompt from Treguard, realised that they had to spell out THE SHIELD. One adviser suggested 'spellcast shield' but all they needed to do was say the letters. Nearly stepped into the pit before exiting!

Then encountered Mrs Grimwold in the wellway room. Gave her (him?) the bone for Festus, and gained some food and the 3rd and final 'step' clue from her.
Look at the life force when it comes up, and you'll see a faint outline of the roof of the blue room. Clearly the life force was part of the background layer used on the chromakey - was it visible on the adviser's monitor?

Down the wellway, landed on the Mills of Doom instead of the Spindizzy. No bats or clue symbol above the door here, but there was a green skull that chased him! Notice one adviser point out the skull to the other advisers!

Another case of amusing actions from the dungeoneer to invoke the steps in Merlin's room! Almost stepped off the edge on the 1st step! 2/2 on Merlin's riddles and gained a FLIGHT spell.
Merlin said 'Truth Accepted' when the adviser gave his long-winded answer to the 'shark' riddle!

Sadly, we never got to see them use the spell - since the dungeon started to disintegrate in the next room - the level 2 clue room! Treguard's voice also got some digital effect as he proudly announced the end of the dungeon ;)
Did anyone else notice the corridor sound effect slowing down in the final corridor? (the dungeon winds down)

Series end - hopefully next week, series 4!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 3 - Final episode (16)

Post by Billy »

Forgive me for sounding like a demanding so-and-so, but this thread should be merged with the already existing one: http://www.talkknightmare.co.uk/yabbse/ ... readid=251
EDIT: Ah good, it has now.

It did indeed look a bit like Sidriss in the background of the outside path, but she first appeared in S6 (not S4 ;)). Had to spell out 'SHIELD' to get past the pit, and judging by Mrs Grimwold's off-screen noises at the end of Level 1, it appears she was being eaten by Festus!
They got to Merlin's room very quickly- it seems a genuine attempt was made to get an S3 winner. But it was not to be, as time turned in the clue room. I've always loved the S3 ending, the best yet!
Series 4 returns on Tuesday- although I'll be in Devon by then, so I won't be able to offer my thoughts as usual. But I saw the episodes when they were originally shown on Challenge last year, so not all bad news!
Last edited by Billy on 01 Aug 2004, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 3 - Final episode (16)

Post by TheBrollachan »

Was it me or was Mrs Grimwold being attacked by Festus. I think 'she' was saying something about Festus trying to bite her head.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 3 - Episode 16

Post by MoanaLiza »

Ahhh, so that explains why we don't see Mrs G anymore then.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

I just noticed that I posted to this thread 16/17 months ago :D.

Is this the last time Series 3 airs on Challenge? I seem to recall they had the rights to show each episode of S3 10 times and it must be getting close to that now.
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Do you suppose that the FLIGHT spell was used for the same purpose as the last season...
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

East coast of Scotland, about 100 miles south of the Aberdeen area where my home is. The University takes a lot of foreign students, but the Americans are the most noticeable.
I was at St. Andrews Uni until last year - I'd say there were a lot more Northerners and Irish students than Americans - But I digress...

The end of series 3 was probably the best ever. Treguard was marvellously quotable there. I didn't even mind that the team didn't win - there really was no way they could have won. It was more of a shame for Giles' team who were so near the end of level 3.
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

Great seris we had, now time to get scared in the bright sunny forests we are bout to have. Why does seris 4 have to be outside. why not just use the inside shots of anything they photographed:? At least some atmosphere would have been be maintained.

Anyways goodbye to the dungeon i have known and loved for the first three seasons. Does Treyguard now not get a bit more friendly and helpful from here onwards. I think he does from what i remember. Bit of a shame that. Daft thing is the drawngs of some of the rooms in seris 1-3 looked very realistic ven now. Such as the level 2 clue room or the combat chess room.
Ooh, nasty!
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Regarding Series 3 Episode 16, I wonder if any of you out there could possibly tell me what the "Children's ITV" presenters, Jerry Foulkes & Scally the dog said before & after this episode, when it was 1st broadcast on 22-12-89? I did watch it on this day, but sadly back then my local ITV region, TSW used to usually cut out CITV links so they could fit in their local birthdays' slot, "Gus Honeybun's Magic Birthdays" instead. They did this quite often during Series 3, which got to be very annoying! On this day they cut out the links before & after the show, so I'd just like to know what was said. A video clip (on "YouTube") would be great if one such exists, but if not then a transcript of what was said would be appreciated, as it's for a college project.

Anyway, thanks again if you can help me...
Last edited by DJFairborne77 on 05 Oct 2007, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

In addition to my previous post, I have now read somewhere that Jason Donovan actually introduced this episode, when it was originally shown on CITV back in '89. Down here in the south-west on this day, which was the 22nd December '89, our then local ITV region, TSW absolutely butchered up the CITV links of the day, as they often did to fit in their birthdays' slot, Gus Honeybun instead! (Gus was shown twice a day each weekday (before & after CITV) & once a day at weekends btw). Anyway, on this day, they only showed 3 of the 7 broadcast links:

Link 1: The opening CITV intro & link wasn't shown, as they went straight from Gus into the 1st programme, which was "Bugs Bunny And Friends".

Link 2: After the 1st cartoon, this link was shown by TSW.

Link 3: After the 2nd cartoon, this link was also shown by TSW & went into the 1st commercial break, with the "Lots To Come On CITV" ident.

Link 4: The "You're Watching CITV" ident & link. This wasn't shown on TSW, as they went straight from the commercial break into the next programme, which was "Rolf's Cartoon Club - Christmas Special".

Link 5: After Rolf, Jerry & Scally chat to the "Motormouth" crew, followed by the "More To Come On CITV" ident & into the commercial break. This was shown on TSW.

Link 6: The "This Is CITV" ident & link. Not shown by TSW, again they went straight into the next programme, which was "Knightmare" from the commercial break before it, bypassing the link!

Link 7: The final link after "Knightmare", not shown by TSW as they faded out from the Broadsword slide, into a commercial break and then back to Gus again & then into "Blockbusters" at 5:10pm.

The 3 links they did show, I have a video clip of it on "YouTube", link below. But, what was said during the other links & did Jason indeed introduce "Knightmare" on this day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2DDd2XgMlA
Last edited by DJFairborne77 on 27 Feb 2008, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.